Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Lounge

Notices

Poll: Should God Bless the USA replace Star Spangled Banner as our anthem?
Poll Options
Should God Bless the USA replace Star Spangled Banner as our anthem?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-06-2007, 11:35 AM   #1
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 261 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
New National Anthem?

I don't mean to offend anyone who is loyal to Francis Scott Key, but this was a debate that we had one day back when I was in the military.

I worked on the USS John F. Kennedy (a carrier) down in FL. One morning, completely out of the blue, Lee Greenwood showed up to entertain the crew and sign some autographs. For those of you who don't know who he is, he's the guy who sings the all-time patriotically inspiring song, God Bless the USA. I personally shook his hand and told him that I've seen more servicemen stand and salute to his song than the national anthem itself. I still get a chill of pride everytime I hear it even though I've known every word of the song since I was 6. He was a very nice guy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	428px-Lee_Greenwood.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	251

When I made it back to the office, my division and I had an interesting debate over whether or not God Bless the USA should be made our national anthem in place of the Star Spangled Banner. There was some support for doing this among several divisions on the USS JFK. In most military ceremonies, we already play this song instead of Star Spangled Banner to honor servicemen. Lee Greenwood personally sang it in New York in honor of those lost in 9/11.

What do you all think? Personally, I think God Bless the USA focuses more on pride and great opportunities that come with living here and less about the wars and the national flag itself. It's far more emotional and the words are stronger and easier to understand. Not to mention God Bless the USA doesn't have that high note that only a few people can hit. What do you all think?

AnimeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote