Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Government & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 10:39 AM   #1
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Texas governor stirs controversy

Texas Gov. Rick Perry says licensed Texans should be able to carry a concealed handgun almost anywhere.
http://www.ktbs.com/viewnews.cfm?new...weapons%20idea
Old 05-03-2007, 12:47 PM   #2
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold
Guns

Why not. These aren't going to be the people causing trouble anyway, but they can sure stop it! "Those who are willing to give up their guns to make plows will soon be plowing for those who did not"
Old 05-03-2007, 01:06 PM   #3
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpahurl
Why not. These aren't going to be the people causing trouble anyway, but they can sure stop it! "Those who are willing to give up their guns to make plows will soon be plowing for those who did not"
I know I would think twice about pulling my gun out if I thought everyone else around me had one too
Old 05-03-2007, 01:32 PM   #4
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
I know I would think twice about pulling my gun out if I thought everyone else around me had one too
that's an interesting point.. I saw an editorial cartoon on that the other day. basically it was like, someone yelled "Gun!" and then EVERYONE pulled out their guns and started shooting.. but didn't know who it was they were supposed to be shooting at....

now maybe that's not realistic ? or maybe it is.. in a perfect world, everyone could just open up on the idiot who started shooting in the first place
Old 05-03-2007, 03:49 PM   #5
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Well you guys are basically ignoring history when you make these suggestions.

If you recall, once upon a time it was fairly common for men to openly carry firearms.....why do you think every civilized nation in the world now has laws against this type of behavior?

Here's a hint, it's not because the crime rate went down.....
Old 05-03-2007, 04:11 PM   #6
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainSmashR
Well you guys are basically ignoring history when you make these suggestions.

If you recall, once upon a time it was fairly common for men to openly carry firearms.....why do you think every civilized nation in the world now has laws against this type of behavior?

Here's a hint, it's not because the crime rate went down.....
Don't take my comment the wrong way.. it's not that I'm against the idea at all.. If there had been some other folks carrying legal firearms around at Virginia Tech, fewer lives could have been lost. If that idiot could have been gunned down... I just thought it was an interesting point.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:16 PM   #7
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight
Don't take my comment the wrong way.. it's not that I'm against the idea at all.. If there had been some other folks carrying legal firearms around at Virginia Tech, fewer lives could have been lost. If that idiot could have been gunned down... I just thought it was an interesting point.

Yeah, the problem is that when everyone carried a gun, lot's of people got shot for stupid **** like snoring to loud, not just mass murder.

How can you say fewer lives would have been lost when only 1 man had a gun as opposed to 100 people having a gun, when our own nations history tells the exact opposite story?
Old 05-03-2007, 04:52 PM   #8
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
>why do you think every civilized nation in the world now has laws against this type of behavior

Correct or not, that's not a legit line of reasoning, "Everybody else is doing it" means nothing. Almost every civilized nation in the world has socialized medicine, as well.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:56 PM   #9
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
>How can you say fewer lives would have been lost when only 1 man had a gun as opposed to 100 people having a gun, when our own nations history tells the exact opposite story?

Because it's a reasonable assumption that none of the other likely-to-be-armed students wanted to go on a murderous rampage and it's a logical conclusion that if any other student had killed Cho before he could finish fewer lives would have been lost.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:09 PM   #10
BrainSmashR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
>why do you think every civilized nation in the world now has laws against this type of behavior

Correct or not, that's not a legit line of reasoning, "Everybody else is doing it" means nothing. Almost every civilized nation in the world has socialized medicine, as well.

If it's not a legit line of reasoning, why do you think I'm trying to say that?

More people with guns always equals more murders, not less. That's why most nations have some type of gun laws, not because they want to be like their neighbor!?!?!?!?!?
Old 05-03-2007, 05:21 PM   #11
BrainSmashR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
>How can you say fewer lives would have been lost when only 1 man had a gun as opposed to 100 people having a gun, when our own nations history tells the exact opposite story?

Because it's a reasonable assumption that none of the other likely-to-be-armed students wanted to go on a murderous rampage and it's a logical conclusion that if any other student had killed Cho before he could finish fewer lives would have been lost.

Homicide is the 14th leading cause of death in America today.
Accident is the 3rd leading cause of death, of the accident category, firearm accidents are the 8th leading cause of death.

....and your contention is because there are NOT enough guns on the street.

I'm glad you admitted this was total assumption....I can't find death stats for the 1800's when most men carried a firearm, but I'll be sure to let you knwo when I do
Old 05-03-2007, 06:10 PM   #12
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 246 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
WRONG WRONG WRONG
In March 2000, WorldNetDaily reported that since Australia's widespread gunban, violent crime has INCREASED in the country. WND reported that, although lawmakers responsible for passing the ban promised a safer country, the nation's crime statistics tell a different story:
.Countrywide, homicides are up 3.2 percent
.Assaults are up 8.6 percent
.Amazingly, armed robberies have climbed nearly 45 percent
.In the Australian state of Victoria, gun homicides have climbed 300 percent
.In the 25 years BEFORE the gun bans, crime in Australia had been dropping steadily
.There has been a dramatic increase in home burglaries and assaults on the elderly

The violent crime stats are EVEN WORSE in Great Britain!

The above is an excerpt from an earlier post of mine where I was replyin to someone else's opinion that "fewer guns equals fewer deaths". It just doesnt work that way...period...end of story! Theres a school in Utah I think where the students with concealed carry permits are encouraged to wear their guns on campus, so lets just have a little hypothetical scenario here. Ok, lets say a "Cho" type murderous a$$hole shows up one at school one mornin and starts shootin people...with me so far? Ya followin me so far? Ok, "Cho" pulls his gun and gets off a few shots and kills a few of his poor, hapless classmates and instructors...but other students and instructors draw their own weapons and tuck "Cho" in for a dirtnap! Total body count? Four dead, includin the aforementioned murderous a$$hole...as opposed to, say, 30 or 50 dead...maybe even more.

The sad truth is that when one of these nuts snaps and decides to go on a shootin spree, be it on a school campus, the post office, your local Luby's cafeteria, or where ever, everyone who is NOT armed is basically just the proverbial "fish in the barrel", whose options amount to hidin under a table, playin dead, beggin the crazy bastard not to shoot em, or runnin and gettin shot in the back! These nutcases KNOW that their victims cant fight back, which is why they can kill so many of them. Different ballgame altogether when there are citizens carryin lawfully concealed guns. Nice try Brain, but you're full of schit! Ya might try doin some research first next time.

Last edited by Al Swearengen; 05-03-2007 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:59 PM   #13
BrainSmashR
Banned

Hey that's great....how about stats for this country?

BTW, I did NOT say fewer guns equals fewer deaths, I said MORE guns DOES NOT equal fewer deaths.

Now check out this "hypothetical" scenario. Everytime someone gets pissed off they reach for their guns....you know, like every western story you've ever heard.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:15 PM   #14
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 246 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
Quote:
Hey that's great....how about stats for this country?

BTW, I did NOT say fewer guns equals fewer deaths, I said MORE guns DOES NOT equal fewer deaths.

Now check out this "hypothetical" scenario. Everytime someone gets pissed off they reach for their guns....you know, like every western story you've ever heard.

On the contrary, more guns do indeed equal fewer deaths. And America's crime rates, violent or otherwise, have been steadily dropping since concealed weapons carry by licensed citizens, along with adoption of the "Castle Doctrine" by the states have become more prevalent. People who are licensed to carry concealed weapons must meet the criteria. Those citizens understand that carrying a concealed weapon means they have a much greater responsibility to conduct themselves with restraint, and draw and use their guns ONLY when they or someone else is threatened with death or grave bodily harm, NOT because they get "pissed off". Those who do NOT understand this likely dont meet the licensing criteria anyway.

Last edited by Al Swearengen; 05-03-2007 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:37 PM   #15
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
more or less guns does not change this scenario.. this happens now as it is.. idiot gets pissed, idiot goes home gets his gun and shoots someone.
If idiot doesn't have a gun, he'll find another way.
Closed Thread