Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Government & Politics

Notices

Old 07-05-2007, 06:56 PM   #16
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
Of course I read it, how else would I have known how ridiculous it is.

I don't want m kids taught that George Washington was a magical man that was protected from bullets by supernatural powers anymore than I want them taught that he could fly or shoot lasers from his eyes.
Some would call in coincidence others divine intervention. You make your choice and I too will make mine. I sure your children will not hear of such it might give them to much choice.
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:28 PM   #17
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
The beauty of living in America is that we as individuals can teach our children anything we damn well please at home. Schools are good for the three R's... But one size does not fit all. That is where PARENTING comes into play. And thank goodness for that or else I might be out of a job.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:41 AM   #18
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
There was a time when the schools taught Christian values and now that has been stamped out by the likes of the ACLU and a very few others. In the last forty five years we have seen our children loose all contact with morals and there certain people that would wonder why ??
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:22 AM   #19
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
Teaching Christian values is not he job of the state. Stamping that out is a good thing.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:29 AM   #20
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Teaching Christian values is not he job of the state. Stamping that out is a good thing.
It is OK for you to be wrong because your are wrong. You are sadly mistaken that it is a good thing
Old 07-06-2007, 10:30 AM   #21
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
something about the term "Christian Values"... sometimes I think I want to run for the hills when I hear that.

Like a politician spouting "Family Values". Sure in a perfect world, I know what they mean, or what they "should" mean.

TGIF EVERYONE! don't float away.

LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:56 AM   #22
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight
something about the term "Christian Values"... sometimes I think I want to run for the hills when I hear that.

Like a politician spouting "Family Values". Sure in a perfect world, I know what they mean, or what they "should" mean.

TGIF EVERYONE! don't float away.

I hope you do not fall down running away or catch one in the back
Old 07-07-2007, 09:24 AM   #23
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
There was a time when the schools taught Christian values and now that has been stamped out by the likes of the ACLU and a very few others. In the last forty five years we have seen our children loose all contact with morals and there certain people that would wonder why ??
This is EXACTLY why we homeschool. My son is taught Christian values, taught ALL of the subjects we want him to learn, and no one gets to interefere as a teacher and teach him their principals and values. He will be a better person because the ACLU and the "left" did not get a chance to interefere in his education and upbringing.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:30 AM   #24
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
I'll have to say over here in south Bossier the schools are still having prayer before sporting events, back to school nights, and all functions I've been to. They aren't supposed to but are making a statement and to me a good one at that! When they teach evolution they let the kids know they don't necessarily agree with it but are required to teach it. I think it is good for the teachers to let the kids figure out what they believe and to let them know it is okay to agree to disagree.

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:47 AM   #25
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
This is exactly why my kids go to private (christian) school. I want them to be smart like joepole is, but with more faith in Christ to go along with it.

Because I am Christian, (and have no vouncher system) then I must pay twice. I wish the government would learn what to privatize and what not to, then lower taxes accordingly.

Should be public:
Securing borders
Military Defense
maintaining streets, highways, and bridges
water and sewer
Fire and Police
space exploration (because of military potential)

Should be provided by the private sector: (IMHO)
medical care
schools
internet access
religion
energy, gas, electricity
garbage collection
almost the government isn't particularly suited to do
Old 07-07-2007, 01:03 PM   #26
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
>They aren't supposed to but are making a statement and to me a good one at that!

What statement is that, "The beliefs of some are more important than the laws that govern all?"

How can someone who doesn't believe in evolution ever become a qualified science teacher in the first place? Doesn't a science teacher have to have a college degree in some sort of science subject?
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 01:19 PM   #27
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

The point here is that the laws we live by where handed down from the Bible. You may choose to believe different and that is your right purchased by many a brave Christian soldier. I can see why you "may" think the way you do because you may have never had a chance to read with understanding from the Word of God. I do not agree with you joepole on this but I respect your post you are a well educated man in some areas.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:07 PM   #28
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
I agree Isaac that everyone is entitled to post their feelings/opinions whether we agree with them or not.
The science teacher I'm speaking of us does have her degree. In my opinion one can still be a scientist and believe in God and the Earth's true origins.

Jennifer Aniston
Old 07-07-2007, 02:12 PM   #29
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
The point here is that the laws we live by where handed down from the Bible. You may choose to believe different and that is your right purchased by many a brave Christian soldier. I can see why you "may" think the way you do because you may have never had a chance to read with understanding from the Word of God. I do not agree with you joepole on this but I respect your post you are a well educated man in some areas.
I am mostly in agreement with you. Re: the laws we live by were handed down from the Bible. But the Bible is two parts, the old and new testiments. IMHO, I think basic laws come from the old testiment (eye for an eye sort of thing), rather than the new testiment (forgive, turn the other cheek, etc.)

LOL, imagine for a moment if christians were as successful as muslims when it comes to combining church and state. What if state law was based on the teachings of Jesus. LOL, what a stretch of the imagination that would be. All the accident lawyers would be out of work while people forgave each other for accidents, and the community gave of themselves to provide for any need that arose out of the event. (because they have to or be fined or tortured) I think that is one of the things that makes the teachings of Jesus so unique. It is ridiculous and makes no sense to try to make a "state" out of the life principles He taught. By default, I think Christianity must be a good religion to have around if you really want to keep separate church and state.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:16 PM   #30
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz
This is exactly why my kids go to private (christian) school. I want them to be smart like joepole is, but with more faith in Christ to go along with it.

Because I am Christian, (and have no vouncher system) then I must pay twice. I wish the government would learn what to privatize and what not to, then lower taxes accordingly.

Should be public:
Securing borders
Military Defense
maintaining streets, highways, and bridges
water and sewer
Fire and Police
space exploration (because of military potential)

Should be provided by the private sector: (IMHO)
medical care
schools
internet access
religion
energy, gas, electricity
garbage collection
almost the government isn't particularly suited to do
How is evolution dealt with in a private Christian school?

Jennifer Aniston