Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > Sports

Notices

Old 12-22-2007, 08:39 PM   #1
sbl_admin
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post Independence Bowl History: Football, Fans, & Patriotism

Tom Pace recalls the history of the Independence Bowl in his first featured article as executive editor of SBLive!

sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:42 PM   #2
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Nice article Mr Pace. That picture of the "snow bowl" is pretty wild considering it was taken right here in Shreveport. I hope we have a good game. I'm taking my son with some of his friends. This may become an annual family ritual for us. And I'm looking forward to a corndog or two!
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 10:03 PM   #3
j.nc
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 209 j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all
Yes agreed good story. Isn't it also one of the first bowls to have a corporate sponsor?

Trivia - what team has made the most appearances? (answer is in the article)
Old 12-22-2007, 10:09 PM   #4
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.nc View Post
Yes agreed good story. Isn't it also one of the first bowls to have a corporate sponsor?
Don't know if it is or not.. but man I hate that.. the "Poulan Weedeater bowl" or like the "Coca-cola Starplex" in Dallas ?

and it's like the Century-Tel arena ? in Bossier...

nice article, great pics, like the Snow Bowl.. probably a once in a lifetime opportunity here in Shreveopolis.
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 11:19 PM   #5
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.nc View Post
Trivia - what team has made the most appearances? (answer is in the article)
Ole Miss?? Although bama seems to be catching up...
Old 12-23-2007, 10:50 AM   #6
j.nc
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 209 j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz View Post
Ole Miss?? Although bama seems to be catching up...
Correct - Ole Miss with 5 and Bama will make 4 after this go around.

Snow Bowl - we were flipping thru the channels and stopped at a game with the snow coming down because those are fun to watch. Took a bit to sink in it was the Independence Bowl and snowing in S'port - on national TV! Had to call my Mom and ask her if it was true (one of those "pinch me I must be dreaming" moments).
Old 12-28-2007, 01:28 PM   #7
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Nick Saban doing the Cupid shuffle

Nick Saban and wife while in town for the Independence Bowl.. get in a little dancin' with the Cupid Shuffle.

That's the word on the 'street' anyways.

LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:16 PM   #8
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight View Post
Nick Saban and wife while in town for the Independence Bowl.. get in a little dancin' with the Cupid Shuffle.

That's the word on the 'street' anyways.
I hope bama plays better than Nick dances.... Or actually I think I may be an OSU fan this year....