Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Entertainment

Notices

Old 06-06-2007, 11:44 AM   #61
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
I've never watched "Deadliest Catch," but I thought it was more of a documentary than a reality show.

1. "Seinfeld" is the "Sgt. Peppers" of the situation comedy. It raised the bar and has directly influenced every single comedy since. It's amazing to watch an old episode to see how well it has kept up, how it wasn't preachy or political, and how clever every single bit of detail in the plot or dialog was.

2. "The Simpsons" is the most intelligent fictional program in the history of network television. At least it was for the first nine or ten seasons. Now it is drivel.

3. "South Park" was a breakthrough in what shows were allowed to get away with. Also, Kenny doesn't always get killed, anymore.

4. The best comedy of the last decade was "Arrested Development" and the best action/drama was "Firefly." "Firefly" failed because Fox didn't know how to market it. AD failed partly for the same reason, but mostly because the majority of the television-viewing public is too stupid to appreciate anything more clever than "Friends," "King of Queens," or "Everybody Loves Raymond." AD was also a single-camera show that didn't use a laugh track, so stupid people weren't sure if it was funny.

If you've never seen either of these shows I suggest you Netflix them and watch their entire runs from the beginnings.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:54 PM   #62
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 294 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
I've never watched "Deadliest Catch," but I thought it was more of a documentary than a reality show.
It documents reality.... More so that "Survivor"

Quote:
1. "Seinfeld" is the "Sgt. Peppers" of the situation comedy. It raised the bar and has directly influenced every single comedy since. It's amazing to watch an old episode to see how well it has kept up, how it wasn't preachy or political, and how clever every single bit of detail in the plot or dialog was.

2. "The Simpsons" is the most intelligent fictional program in the history of network television. At least it was for the first nine or ten seasons. Now it is drivel.

3. "South Park" was a breakthrough in what shows were allowed to get away with. Also, Kenny doesn't always get killed, anymore.

4. The best comedy of the last decade was "Arrested Development" and the best action/drama was "Firefly." "Firefly" failed because Fox didn't know how to market it. AD failed partly for the same reason, but mostly because the majority of the television-viewing public is too stupid to appreciate anything more clever than "Friends," "King of Queens," or "Everybody Loves Raymond." AD was also a single-camera show that didn't use a laugh track, so stupid people weren't sure if it was funny.

If you've never seen either of these shows I suggest you Netflix them and watch their entire runs from the beginnings.
Thanks for the tips. I hope to catch up with my viewing someday. It is rare that I follow anything on TV and I'm sure I'm missing some good stuff.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:11 PM   #63
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
A "reality show" documents how "real" people react to artificial circumstances. A "documentariy" documents real life.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:48 PM   #64
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 294 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
A "reality show" documents how "real" people react to artificial circumstances. A "documentariy" documents real life.
A crab fisherman is a real person. Just ask one. And believe you-me, when a red crab claw grips a finger (or in one episode, this one guy's crotch) there is nothing natural about it!

Actually I would classify the Deadliest Catch as a documentary slash soap opera. Technically speaking, of course. Last episode, they came to shore for a prop repair and one of the deckhands got arrested right on the dock for missing a court date while he was out at sea. The other deck mates all rushed to the ATM to take out cash to bale him out.

Last edited by rhertz; 06-06-2007 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:05 PM   #65
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Their actual jobs are not artificial circumstances created for the sake of the show. A show about how you and I would fare on a fishing boat would be a reality show.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:13 PM   #66
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 265 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Their actual jobs are not artificial circumstances created for the sake of the show. A show about how you and I would fare on a fishing boat would be a reality show.
That's one show I would love to watch. Joe and Rhertz freezing their arses off trying to catch a crab.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:21 PM   #67
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
No, a show about how you and I would fare on a crab boat would be a called a disaster film, or maybe a gore thriller.

But while we are at port, it might be called an educational documentary called "Pimp my Boat". We would wire and unwire that sucker until it sank of electronics buildup rather than ice buildup.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:21 PM   #68
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 249 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
I'm with you Belle. I wonder which one the crab would get.
piemaker720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:23 PM   #69
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 249 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
I can see the title now. Night of the Living Crab
Old 06-06-2007, 04:26 PM   #70
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbelle
That's one show I would love to watch. Joe and Rhertz freezing their arses off trying to catch a crab.

Trying? Did you say Trying? With me in the wheel house running things?

I would make my crew flip those pots until our bin boards are creeking and our hull is busting at the seams. Then we'd jog on back to port to off load our Bering sea gold. Bank on it!
Old 06-06-2007, 04:27 PM   #71
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemaker720
I'm with you Belle. I wonder which one the crab would get.
You gals don't know me very well. There is nothing I don't know about crab fishing, thanks to the Deadliest Catch!! Please, ask my wife why don't cha?
Old 06-06-2007, 04:41 PM   #72
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 265 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz
You gals don't know me very well. There is nothing I don't know about crab fishing, thanks to the Deadliest Catch!! Please, ask my wife why don't cha?
Why would we ask your wife about that? Have you been fishing for crabs on her or what? Explain that!
Old 06-06-2007, 04:49 PM   #73
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbelle
Why would we ask your wife about that? Have you been fishing for crabs on her or what? Explain that!
I beg your pardon?

I said "ask my wife" because she has suffered through my Tuesday night crab fishing classes... Plus I tutor her after class. She knows the drill. Bait pots, set pots, jog while they soak, pull pots, sort crab, and bait more pots... She'd make a damn good deckhand in heels if it wasn't for the risk of breaking a finger nail.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:57 PM   #74
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Okay Rhertz, I have to ask, Exactly how many times have you been on a boat crab fishing. You give classes on this. Is there a on hands training with this class?
Old 06-06-2007, 08:06 PM   #75
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz
She'd make a damn good deckhand in heels if it wasn't for the risk of breaking a finger nail.
Oh and I forgot to mention that she does a great imitation of Captain Phil of the Cornelia Marie!!