Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-13-2007, 11:36 AM   #16
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Think of all the uses a sword like that could serve..

1. Chop watermelons.
2. Toast marshmallows from a distance.
3. Chop onions!
4. Prop open a window.
5. Scare off burglars!

I am sure there are more that I could come up with but this is the short list for now! Seriously though my son has about four of them and he values them like I do shoes. He is always on the hunt for the next one. Whatever makes the boy happy!
Texasbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:07 PM   #17
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
Come on Anime we think your sword is cool but it is hard not to laugh a little at the post Do you ever chop up watermelons with it ?
Isaac
Not watermelons, but cutting demos are normally done with small fruits and vegetables. A person would throw the target at the swordsman who would slice in the air. My favorite targets: apples and potatoes. I like using them because they split easy, do not fragment, can easily be thrown by nearly anyone, and do not squirt juice that can blind you in mid-swing. Someone with a decent blade may even slice through a 2x4 as well. There are also some other fun targets to try, but you gotta be careful with some of them.

For example:
  • Balloon (strike with the edge, not the tip)
  • Thick bamboo (this is fairly easy)
  • Glass bottle (slicing it, NOT shattering it)
  • Elastic hooking cord (slice the thick rubber cord)
Old 04-13-2007, 03:29 PM   #18
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Here are some pictures of my katana, well, my son's katana actually. But he lets me hold it when I want. I took these pictures while he was at school. hehehe The last picture clearly shows the hamon created by the forging technique. Oh, it's a Paul Chen Practical Pro Katana which is the second to cheapest in the line. Still cool though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	katana1.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	299  

Name:	katana2.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	300  

Name:	hamon.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	301  

rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:12 PM   #19
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
No ginsus for you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit
Not watermelons, but cutting demos are normally done with small fruits and vegetables. A person would throw the target at the swordsman who would slice in the air. My favorite targets: apples and potatoes. I like using them because they split easy, do not fragment, can easily be thrown by nearly anyone, and do not squirt juice that can blind you in mid-swing. Someone with a decent blade may even slice through a 2x4 as well. There are also some other fun targets to try, but you gotta be careful with some of them.

For example:
  • Balloon (strike with the edge, not the tip)
  • Thick bamboo (this is fairly easy)
  • Glass bottle (slicing it, NOT shattering it)
  • Elastic hooking cord (slice the thick rubber cord)
Forgive my ignorance but do you mean one of your swords will slice through a glass bottle and cut it in two without shattering?? Now that's a serious blade!!
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:46 AM   #20
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocahontas
Forgive my ignorance but do you mean one of your swords will slice through a glass bottle and cut it in two without shattering?? Now that's a serious blade!!
Yes, that's exactly what I mean, but I'm not saying that I can do that. My strike isn't fast enough and I don't have a decent enough blade for that kind of use. I also don't have the proper equipment for doing that exercise safely. Most guys who do it have a tripod built with a small rubber-jaw vice at the top to hold the bottle in place while they strike it. It takes a very good sword and a very fast strike. It also takes some accuracy skill too because the best place on your sword to strike the glass bottle is just below the yokote (see diagram). At this point, your blade is moving the fastest and there is less danger of the bottle skipping off of your kissaki.

The key is to develop a strike that eliminates ALL "cut resistance" in your blade when you swing it. In other words, you must develop a swing where the blade passes straight through the target and doesn't slow down even a little. It takes a delicate balance of both speed and strength to do this properly.

The balloon exercise is fun too and I've heard some kendo teachers use it on their students to build a faster swing. What you do there is attempt to pop one or more balloons with your typical swing. You're not allowed to thrust your blade because popping them with kissaki is far too easy. Some teachers will even check your blade to ensure it's not serrated.

I like using balloons for shuriken-jutsu (throwing knives) more. That's more fun for me and my accuracy isn't too bad.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Katana_diagram.png
Views:	21
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	304  

Old 04-14-2007, 12:02 PM   #21
cosmo kramer
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 217 cosmo kramer is a splendid one to behold cosmo kramer is a splendid one to behold cosmo kramer is a splendid one to behold cosmo kramer is a splendid one to behold cosmo kramer is a splendid one to behold cosmo kramer is a splendid one to behold cosmo kramer is a splendid one to behold
This is a picture of my sword collection. Don't think it is as long or heavy as the others but I can manipulate it in all sorts of ways!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	swiss-memory.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	305  

cosmo kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 12:26 PM   #22
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Talking That made my ribs hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo kramer
This is a picture of my sword collection. Don't think it is as long or heavy as the others but I can manipulate it in all sorts of ways!
So dry but so funny I think you are the real Kramer !
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 01:55 PM   #23
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Lol! Try cutting a glass bottle with that.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:58 PM   #24
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Oh Kramer you made me laugh till I cried!!!
Old 04-14-2007, 02:03 PM   #25
cosmo kramer
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 217 cosmo kramer is a splendid one to behold cosmo kramer is a splendid one to behold cosmo kramer is a splendid one to behold cosmo kramer is a splendid one to behold cosmo kramer is a splendid one to behold cosmo kramer is a splendid one to behold cosmo kramer is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up

Why thank you Belle! I like the shoes by the way! They match my sword.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:41 PM   #26
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Size does matter!

Quote:
Oh Cosmo...love your sword too! Sorry to see yours isn't nearly as large as Anime's!
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:02 PM   #27
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Yes Kramer we must make sure our accessories match and appropriately "sized".
Old 04-17-2007, 08:08 PM   #28
cosmo kramer
Advanced Member

Belle, I tried to match your lovely lady shoes with mine but all I had was black. Sorry, it was the best I could do...
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2007, 08:20 PM   #29
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 246 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
Katanas are nice, especially the ones that are "full tang", the mark of a quality sword or knife. I own a "wakazashi" size combat sword milled from a solid black of stainless steel...with a blackened finish, and comes with a kydex sheath, made by "United Cutlery". But theres a company called "Cold Steel" that makes a line of high quality cutlery, that recently came out with both a sabre and cutlass that are basket-hilted, full tanged, with blued blades and shavin sharp edges. Now THATS my idea of a sword! But they run anywhere between 3 and 4 hundred bucks, and I havent been able to shell out that much coin for a sword. But its on my wishlist.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:55 PM   #30
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Yeah, I don't like stainless steel blades. When you temper the blade properly, it becomes brittle and will not flex or give even a little when you strike a target (like the steel of a hammer). The blade vibrates and sings like fine crystal as air passes over it. It's true they are more vulnerable to rust and tend to chip when you to not care for them properly, but their cutting power is very different. They are truly deadly works of art.

Stainless steel blades are more resistant to rust, but they bend easier and flex on impact with a tough target. The blades gash instead of chip and its hard to keep the blade perfectly straight after minor use. Their song is a very short, dull, and unmajestic "clang" instead of a long, fine ring.

Stainless steel blades are cheaper and last longer, but they are inferior in quality compared to a hand-forged blade of high carbon folded steel.