Go Back   Shreveport.com > SBLive! Groups > Historic Photos

Notices

Old 08-31-2007, 07:40 AM   #31
salguodgrubmab
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 0 salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz View Post
Sal you are a Yes Fan? I'm totally blown away. I will youtube the steve video. Chris Squire was pretty sweet on bass too. I won't even mention Rick Wakeman....... don't get me started..

I am one of the top 10 Yes fans on the planet, I must be! Measured by hours spent listening via 8 track, cassette, and vinyl combined. (CD doesn't count) I saw them in Jackson and Houston in the late 70's..

FWIW I like Relayer first and Tales of Topographics Oceans second. But I also like Steve's solo guitar. Around 1980 Steve made a solo album and I bought it on vinyl. good stuff. They always let him do this thang for one or two tracks in each album. I should search my old collection this weekend.
Rick Wakeman. I was a closet classical fan sneaking listens to the Moodies Days of Future and then came the intro to Yessongs. The Brahm's and Stravinski. Journey to the Center.. and the later one, what was that called. The medieval King Arthur one. I forget. The last thing I saw was on PBS a couple years ago and Rick was given about fifteen minutes. It was jaw dropping. And Chris. He was the first bassist I ever heard playing off the beat. Having Bruford and later White on the skins allowed him to write in a completely new way. Paul and Chris reinvented the instrument. I also had a Jon Anderson LP. I can't remember much about it. Lyrically way over my head. I think Yes became too big a monster to tour. Now that all that rock god stuff is over and you put those guys in an intimate setting, they still make the hair on my neck stand up.
salguodgrubmab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:28 PM   #32
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by salguodgrubmab View Post
Rick Wakeman. I was a closet classical fan sneaking listens to the Moodies Days of Future and then came the intro to Yessongs. The Brahm's and Stravinski. Journey to the Center.. and the later one, what was that called. The medieval King Arthur one. I forget. The last thing I saw was on PBS a couple years ago and Rick was given about fifteen minutes. It was jaw dropping. And Chris. He was the first bassist I ever heard playing off the beat. Having Bruford and later White on the skins allowed him to write in a completely new way. Paul and Chris reinvented the instrument. I also had a Jon Anderson LP. I can't remember much about it. Lyrically way over my head. I think Yes became too big a monster to tour. Now that all that rock god stuff is over and you put those guys in an intimate setting, they still make the hair on my neck stand up.
Journey to the Center of the Earth was released in my formative years. About that time (mid 70's) there was a flick called "At the Earth's Core" playing at Eastgate and we all thought it was cool. The bad guys were these flying telepathic creatures called Mayhaws or something like that living in the center of the earth.. Sorry for digressing......

I really liked ABWH but missed Chris. The Union CD was good too. Back in the 70's, the bass range on my stereo equipment wasn't too good, but then I got a pair of Klipsch speakers in college which opened up a new world to me (below 200 Hz) Then I could hear Chris a whole lot better. Plus I am a bit range deaf after so many 70's concerts.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:04 PM   #33
vixweb
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 219 vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by salguodgrubmab View Post
Whoa Stanley Clarke. I was roadkill after listening to Journey to Love. It was maybe six months before I could listen to anything other than RTF or Mahavishnu Orchestra. I know Journey to note for note. It is in my DNA. Hello Jeff, Concerto for Jazz Rock Orchestra and Song to John. The Alembic bass guitar completely changed the parameters that were imposed on the bass. There is a Phil Lesh and Friends DVD where he drags it out of the closet and bombs the audience. Remember vibrating feet.
Cool! I'm gonna look for that phil lesh dvd-
vixweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 05:14 AM   #34
guitarman
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 213 guitarman is a splendid one to behold guitarman is a splendid one to behold guitarman is a splendid one to behold guitarman is a splendid one to behold guitarman is a splendid one to behold guitarman is a splendid one to behold
Bruce Flett (Bluebirds)
Phil Lesh (Grateful Dead)
Garry Talent (E Street Band)
These three can really get down and blow people away
guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote