Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Government & Politics

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-31-2007, 01:54 PM   #1
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
KSLA's General Manager James Smith

Editorial July 27: Here We Go Again

KSLA's General Manager James Smith taped an editorial which they played yesterday evening after the local news. Above is a link to the transcript of what he said.

In this editorial Mr Smith, cites both Congressman William Jefferson(D) for bribery charges, and US Senator David Vitter(R) for cheating with a prostitute. Then he equates the two, and proposes that Louisiana politics needs cleaning up.

I will not argue that Louisiana politics needs cleaning up which is almost a joke to me after living here for decades. Perhaps Mr Smith has not been living here long so our politics may be shocking to him. I have no problem stating that Louisiana politics needs cleaning up. But perhaps we should start with Bob Odom and not Vitter. After all, who is a more crooked politician? I won’t even mention the incompetent ones. We all know who they are.

I have read many on this board say that they forgive Vitter for having sex with a prostitute, but I have not heard anyone willing to forgive Jefferson or defend Jefferson for bribe charges and stashing cash in his freezer. I take offense at Mr Smith equating a house member who is trying to stay out of the "Big House" for taking bribes, with an effective Senator trying to stay out of the "Dog House" for cheating on his wife.

We all know the media slants toward the DNC and not GOP. Was Mr. Smith’s editorial a vote cast to remove Vitter from office even though he only deceived his wife verses deceiving his office the way Jefferson did? Jefferson could possibly go to jail, problem solved. Do you feel that Mr. Smith used this event to get more mileage against Vitter? For instance, when President Clinton was caught cheating on Hillary, did KSLA broadcast an editorial lumping the Bill’s affair in with government corruption, and then call for such a clean up in Washington? Of course they didn’t.

My point is that I think KTBS slants left just like the Shreveport times, both of which are owned by out-of-state interests. KSLA is owned by Raycomm out of Alabama. I am more interested in how true “locals” feel about Vitter verses Jefferson. How do people who have lived with Louisiana politics all our lives feel about it?
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote