Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Health & Wellness

Notices

Old 05-20-2007, 02:08 PM   #1
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Causes of Aging Skin

Research shows that there are, in fact, two distinct types of aging. Aging caused by the genes we inherit is called intrinsic (internal) aging. The other type of aging is known as extrinsic (external) aging and is caused by environmental factors, such as exposure to the sun’s rays.
http://www.skincarephysicians.com/ag...asicfacts.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	sculpture_face_wrinkles_sxc_nr.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	597
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 03:31 PM   #2
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for that friendly reminder as I'm about to go to the beach for a week!
I better lather up with the sunscreen!
Another huge factor in skin aging is your skin pigmentation. Darker skinned people (especially blacks) don't show age as quickly as lighter folks. People with naturally lighter haircolors and light colored eyes, I think, don't fair as well in the sun either. Now days it's hard to tell what type of skin anyone has due to year round tanning beds...which are supposed to be worse than the sun for premature aging!
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 05:08 PM   #3
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
The worse thing about skin damage from the sun is cancer. Once a spot of melanoma breaks out, it can spread to lungs and other organs, not just skin. So if you notice a flaky or colored patch of skin that doesn't heal normally, it is best to go see a dermotologist to freeze it. "Nip it in the bud", is the best policy for cancers that metastasize and spread. The earlier the detection the better. I have a family member with melanoma and radiation and chemo don't work well on it. It's hard to imagine that squirt of liquid nitrogen on the skin years earlier could possibly save a life.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:12 AM   #4
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Big floppy hats and long sleeve cotton shirts and sun screen. I have been a fisherman all my life and I like early mornings for the most part so the sun does not get to me as bad. I fish in the Keys and all the guides have those hats and light cotton shirts and long cotton pants this is still the best protection but aging comes to all of us that live long enough.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:33 PM   #5
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Colombia clothing is my choice but there are others with the light cotton pants and shirts.

Name:	656_Fly_Fishing_Shirt.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	614
I know you girls would look hot in one of these
Old 05-21-2007, 04:06 PM   #6
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Not exactly my idea of beach attire!
Old 05-21-2007, 04:23 PM   #7
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocahontas
Not exactly my idea of beach attire!
I'm not pro-arab, but I do understand why they dress like they do.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 05:35 AM   #8
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Hey rhertz there is sun screen and light cotton closes but the berka is just there to cover up the ugly faces I do not think you should buy the wife one and expect to have any luck
Old 05-24-2007, 11:57 AM   #9
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

The Darker Side of Tanning

Why doesn't the skin of young people show these harmful effects?
Skin aging and cancer are delayed effects that don't usually show up for many years after the exposure. Unfortunately, since the damage is not immediately visible, young people are often unaware of the dangers of tanning. Physicians and scientists are especially concerned that cases of skin cancer will continue to increase as people who are now in their teens and twenties reach middle age.
http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/consumer/tanning.html
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:58 PM   #10
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Welcome "back" Tbelle How was the weather down there ? Do you feel like my new avatar just got ya

Name:	wrinkledtan.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	630

Just kidding
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:03 PM   #11
scarlett
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 233 scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to scarlett Send a message via AIM to scarlett Send a message via Yahoo to scarlett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
Colombia clothing is my choice but there are others with the light cotton pants and shirts.

Attachment 614
I know you girls would look hot in one of these
this is for hiking only!!!!!
Old 05-25-2007, 10:30 PM   #12
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Oh Isaac, I did get my tar baby tan on and it looks GOOD! I am one of the olive skin ones who tans easily and therefore ages quite well. It is the fair skin folks that don't age quite so nicely as us darker ones.

I do happen to have the inside track on the melanoma/tanning/sunblock line.

Melanoma: Rhertz...a doctor would never touch this by freezing it. You must be confusing it with squamous cell carcinoma or basal cell. Melanoma is the deadly kind which does metastasize to other organs. Often times it usually goes to the brain and lungs. It is not an easy death not that any are but some are worse than others. Did you know that you can get melanoma in your eye? Yes, you can. If you can take a step to prevent this disease, then by all means you should.

Now the best protection against it in terms of sunscreen is Aveeno's sunblock. It has an ingrediant in it proven to do the job. There was an article in US News and World Report last week giving the whole low down on sunblocks last week and explaining this. If you can find it and read it, do so and educate yourself.

Tanning is only ok in moderation. A tanning bed is not safe. It is deceiving and is not good for teenagers. The teens overuse the beds. I think you should have to be 21 before you can use them, but that is just my thoughts.

Well, now I have had my say and given out some material. Hope it helps somebody.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:19 AM   #13
Sheba
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 217 Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold
Do teenagers know moderation in anything? I agree that they should wait on tanning and plastic surgery and so many other things! Life is about so much more than high school! My advice to my daughter, slow the roll, baby. Real life's coming soon enough.

Guess I sound like the mom of a recent graduate, huh?
Old 05-26-2007, 08:26 AM   #14
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Juan Ponce de León was looking for that fountain of youth too Like the brass ring it is so hard hold onto for very long.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:49 AM   #15
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbelle
Oh Isaac, I did get my tar baby tan on and it looks GOOD! I am one of the olive skin ones who tans easily and therefore ages quite well. It is the fair skin folks that don't age quite so nicely as us darker ones.

I do happen to have the inside track on the melanoma/tanning/sunblock line.

Melanoma: Rhertz...a doctor would never touch this by freezing it. You must be confusing it with squamous cell carcinoma or basal cell. Melanoma is the deadly kind which does metastasize to other organs. Often times it usually goes to the brain and lungs. It is not an easy death not that any are but some are worse than others. Did you know that you can get melanoma in your eye? Yes, you can. If you can take a step to prevent this disease, then by all means you should.

Now the best protection against it in terms of sunscreen is Aveeno's sunblock. It has an ingrediant in it proven to do the job. There was an article in US News and World Report last week giving the whole low down on sunblocks last week and explaining this. If you can find it and read it, do so and educate yourself.

Tanning is only ok in moderation. A tanning bed is not safe. It is deceiving and is not good for teenagers. The teens overuse the beds. I think you should have to be 21 before you can use them, but that is just my thoughts.

Well, now I have had my say and given out some material. Hope it helps somebody.
Welcome back Tbelle!!! I am going to buy some of that Aveeno you were talking about. I too have olive skin and usually no matter how much sunscreen I use I will come back looking like an Indian...oops! no pun intended! We are leaving next Sat. I can't wait!