Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > Business

Notices

Old 02-20-2007, 08:00 AM   #1
sbl_admin
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post Is There A Real Merger In The Works For Satellite Radio?

XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. (XMSR) and Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. (SIRI) have agreed to merge, the two companies said Monday.

sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:49 AM   #2
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 261 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Just how many forms of media do we already have that can play music? I don't even listen to satelite radio. For me, it's just regular radio, Internet radio, or mp3s on my computer.
AnimeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:21 AM   #3
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
I can't listen to regular radio anymore, the commercials and crappy selection give me the angers. I'll turn on KEEL some times at the top of the hour for news, but other than that I listen to Sirius.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:08 PM   #4
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
I can't listen to regular radio anymore, the commercials and crappy selection give me the angers.
Amen to that. I gave up on local radio long ago. The trick is to make sure you still have access to new music, where ever you listen, satellite, internet etc..
But I quit counting on local radio to introduce me to new music years ago.

LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:57 PM   #5
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 261 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
I listen to Kiss 93.7 because I like more country than anythin else.
AnimeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:53 PM   #6
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
I oppose this merger because I believe in true competition by two or more companies. If the FCC and FTA allow the two sat radio companies to merge into one, this is a blow for free enterprise. If we are going to have one service provider, then it might as well be the government as in "public utility company" regulated by the feds, state, and locals. That is, Foster Campbell and people like him. Keep your eye on the politics here. If the only two sat radio companies can merge into one, then why not the only two remaining telcos or oil companies??? I just find it odd that we bust up monopolies (like AT&T and Standard Oil) and yet we institute "privatization" at the same time we allow them to form in the first place! Regulation and De-regulation must be two of the most lucrutive businesses in the world is all I can say! Why else is our government so inconsistent when it comes down to commerce?
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote