Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Government & Politics

Notices

Old 12-11-2006, 11:12 PM   #1
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Political Bumper Stickers

My wife said she saw a bumper sticker the other day....

"I'd rather hunt with Cheney than ride with Kennedy anyday".

Personally, I'm not fond of Ted, but I did like JFK and his space mission speaches. Very inspiring! I wonder who wrote them?
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 08:08 AM   #2
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz
My wife said she saw a bumper sticker the other day....

Personally, I'm not fond of Ted, but I did like JFK and his space mission speaches. Very inspiring! I wonder who wrote them?
PRESIDENT JOHN KENNEDY'S RICE STADIUM MOON SPEECH
Quote:
We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.
I tried searching for the 'author' of that speech. All I could find was JFK. We all know most Presidents have speech writers. Some had more help than others, and some chose to write more of their own speeches over the years. But I believe it's tradition for these speech writers to NOT take ANY credit for any of their work. Obviously people know about the speech writers, but if you ask one of them "which part did you write" they usually won't say.

I find myself fascinated by a good presidential speech. How about Reagan's "Tear down this wall" speech. I read some article awhile back about that one. Some speech writer came up with that line. and it got tossed around in some of the drafts, but was at some point decided not to use it. I think it was Reagan's last minute decision to go ahead and use it.

Don't have the text, but Reagan gave another great speech on the cliff's over looking Normandy beach. In the company of some WWII vets and other political bigwigs etc.. at least from what I remember.
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 08:14 AM   #3
MattyMattyChooChoo

Rep Power: 0 MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice
I personally liked the "Wanted, dead or alive" speech that current President Bush gave just after 9/11.

Lincoln had some good ones too, but got a little long winded.
MattyMattyChooChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 08:21 AM   #4
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future

I do not think I would like to do either one ! The "Tear down the wall" speech was one I will never forget. The wall was there because the Russians placed it there. The Russians are behind most of our problems today. I see in the news today that Putin is kicking out the companies that helped develop the oil and gas fields in Russia. The Russian government are a bunch of thugs. We should never take our eye off the Russians (Edomites) for they will not rest until they get Alaska back and bring down the Western Capitalist. How blind Americans choose to be !
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:30 AM   #5
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.
Wow, people (especially politicians) don't talk like that anymore. Or at least talk like that and DO IT like we did when we went to the moon against some serious odds. Yes it was expensive (like war) and cost lives (like war) and in fact, the moon race was a chapter of the "cold war". Well at least we won that one. See what can happen with the right leaders and resolve on the part of the public? We can make miracles happen when few other nations can. I hope we don't throw it all away for some temporary comfort.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 02:15 PM   #6
Snow Man

Rep Power: 0 Snow Man is just really nice Snow Man is just really nice Snow Man is just really nice Snow Man is just really nice Snow Man is just really nice
"Tear down the wall"

The "Tear down the wall" line sticks in my mind as a good one. We all have walls that protect us from others but that wall was to keep people in. I am so glad it has been torn down !
Snow Man
Snow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 07:59 AM   #7
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
"shining city on a hill "

Famous words by a great President ! "shining city on a hill" that great city in now under attack and so are our freedoms.
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote