Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > Health

Notices

Old 03-29-2007, 08:57 AM   #1
sbl_admin
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post A Local Lady Is Reaching Out For Help!

Moss has placed an ad on a billboard on Line Avenue pleading: "Please Help Save My Life! Donate a Kidney."
sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:49 AM   #2
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
What do ya'll think of this? I am not sure of my thoughts. It's a brave thing to do..looking for a kidney from a stranger. I wonder if she has had any responses.
Texasbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:57 AM   #3
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
I have no problem heck they advertise everything else

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbelle
What do ya'll think of this? I am not sure of my thoughts. It's a brave thing to do..looking for a kidney from a stranger. I wonder if she has had any responses.
It would be from a stanger any way bow head. Now is she going to pay someone or just want it for free ? If someone is about to die heck do what you can to stop it. What would you do Tinker ?
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:24 PM   #4
Sheba
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 217 Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Diving In

So here's my first post! I have a friend who received a kidney from a total stranger. She's alive and well and thriving. She knows what a miracle is - that's having someone give her back life and hope and a future. Sounds like the billboard might be an open door for the best kind of Good Samaritan deed.

Okay - that wasn't so bad!! Just for Isaac - be back after Easter. Have suitcase & passport - must travel!!
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:11 PM   #5
Bubba McMillian

Rep Power: 0 Bubba McMillian has a spectacular aura about Bubba McMillian has a spectacular aura about Bubba McMillian has a spectacular aura about
"A Special Kind Of Person"

I think it really takes a very special kind of person to make this sort of sacrifice for someone else especially if you don't know the person. There is always a chance you may need that additional kidney so there is a great risk on the donors part.
I think we all need to keep this lady in our prayers and hopefully she will find the right person to make that sacrifice.
Bubba McMillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:44 PM   #6
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Welcome the water is already warm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba
So here's my first post! I have a friend who received a kidney from a total stranger. She's alive and well and thriving. She knows what a miracle is - that's having someone give her back life and hope and a future. Sounds like the billboard might be an open door for the best kind of Good Samaritan deed.

Okay - that wasn't so bad!! Just for Isaac - be back after Easter. Have suitcase & passport - must travel!!
Hey Sheba,
So glad you could join us before you leave for vacation. I will be looking for your post next week and there are many nice people on this board and sometimes we just have to agree to disagree. Love your avatar much better than TBelle has been able to come up with and watch out for Neo he is a bit of a smart ass
Isaac
Old 03-29-2007, 06:31 PM   #7
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 246 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
They can make a kidney for her from her own stem cells, no problems with rejection, no donors needed. All it takes is time and money. meanwhile, she can stay on dialysis.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:05 PM   #8
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swearengen
They can make a kidney for her from her own stem cells, no problems with rejection, no donors needed. All it takes is time and money. meanwhile, she can stay on dialysis.
Is that really true Al? If so, I had no idea that kind of technology was available today. How do they grow a kidney? In a test tube? In an animal? How long does it take?
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:40 PM   #9
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Al, can you back that up?

I think if you are willing to donate a kidney there are stars in your crown when you get to heaven. It is a wonderful thing. There are so many things like this we can do to help our fellow humans. It is along the same lines as giving blood and also signing up on the bone marrow donor registry. Lots of people are in need of bone marrow donors. I hope this young lady finds a kidney, and soon.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:24 PM   #10
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 246 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
Well, using stem cells, scientists recently "grew" a human liver in a liver-shaped mold...fully functional.

Absolutely, I agree that its just this sort of self-sacrifice for another that makes humanity worth saving. I have no doubt that some kind, generous soul will step up to the plate!
Old 03-29-2007, 08:38 PM   #11
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Well, using stem cells, scientists recently "grew" a human liver in a liver-shaped mold...fully functional.

Absolutely, I agree that its just this sort of self-sacrifice for another that makes humanity worth saving. I have no doubt that some kind, generous soul will step up to the plate!
liver...kidney...whatever it takes. I just think it would be great if we could clone organs like that. I hope it becomes more and more mainstream. But in the meantime I do agree that donors are saints for saving lives.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:50 PM   #12
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Quote:
LOL as long as it ain't us... right Al ?

Sure it's a saintly thing.. but I would put an organ donation ABOVE giving blood I don't mind giving blood.
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:38 PM   #13
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight
LOL as long as it ain't us... right Al ?
"Long as it aint us"? Hell, I'd do it, if the docs say my overall health, particularly my renal health, is good enough, and if they'll compensate me for lost time off work during my recovery. Sure! Sign me up! In fact, I think it would be a really nice gesture if all of us here at SBLive, particularly the staff, would volunteer.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:57 AM   #14
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:

But Al, did they place this liver in a human and it's working? And if so, how long into this liver is the patient? Do you have a link to this story? I'd love to read it? I think at this point it is purely experiemental. This woman could not pay to go out and have this done for her. Reality is that someone needs to give her a kidney. It is probably going to be awhile before they are "growing" organs.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:05 AM   #15
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Talking Better not use a liver from LN & Geo

Quote:
"Long as it aint us"? Hell, I'd do it, if the docs say my overall health, particularly my renal health, is good enough, and if they'll compensate me for lost time off work during my recovery. Sure! Sign me up! In fact, I think it would be a really nice gesture if all of us here at SBLive, particularly the staff, would volunteer.
I will drink to that after 5:00 ! Just kidding boys you all have a great weekend and the first drink is on me ! Texasbelle they grow ears on pigs so why not other parts. I think every Arab should have a pig ear
Isaac being very bad