Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-10-2007, 12:20 PM   #1
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 261 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Perfume Scam

Quote:
Janet A. Harer
Adult Nurse Practitioner
Women's Clinic Coordinator
Schiffert Health Center 0140
VA Tech University
Blacksburg, VA 24061
(540) 231-5826

MAKE SURE YOUR DAUGHTERS KNOW! & EVERYONE ELSE

This was written by a guy from KVLY-TV in Fargo. This is true. Scary!

This is something that happened to us on the way back from vacation last week. At first I didn't think much of it until now. The reason we were a little suspicious is we had been riding in a jeep all day with 100 degree temps and we stopped at a truck stop for something to drink. When I was leaving, a young girl followed me out and asked what kind of cologne I was wearing.

Well, after 7 hours in the car sweating, I don't think you could tell if I was or was not wearing any cologne. We just got in the jeep and said no thanks.

Then it was about 3 weeks ago, I was at a service station in Birmingham getting gas. It was about 9:30 PM. I was approached by 2 men and 2 women in a car. The man that was driving asked me 'What kind of perfume do you wear?'

I was a bit confused and I asked him 'Why?' He said, 'We are selling some name brand perfumes, at cheap prices.' I said I had no money. He then reached out of the car and handed me paper that was laminated; it had many perfumes on it. I looked quickly at it and gave it back. I said, have no money. He said it is OK, we take check, cash, or credit cards. Then the people in the car began to laugh. I just got in my car and said no thanks.

Then I received this e-mail yesterday and it sent chills up my spine. Please read this. It is no joke. Here is the e-mail I was sent:

"Dear Friends:

I know not all of you are women that I am sending this to, but am hoping you will share this with your wives, daughters, mothers, sisters, etc. Our world seems to be getting crazier by the day. Pipe bombs in mail boxes and sickos in parking lots with perfume. Be careful. I was approached yesterday afternoon around 5:30 PM in the Wal-Mart parking lot by two males asking what kind of perfume I was wearing. Then they asked if I'd like to sample some fabulous scent they were willing to sell me at very reasonable rate. I probably would have agreed had I not received an e-mail warning of a "Wanna smell this neat perfume?" scam.

The men continued to stand between parked cars, I guess to wait for someone else to hit on. I stopped a lady going towards them, pointing at them and told her about how I was sent an e-mail at work about someone walking up to you at the malls or in parking lots and asking you to SNIFF PERFUME that they are selling at a cheap price or at least compare to which one you like best.

THIS IS NOT PERFUME...IT IS ETHER!

When you sniff it, you'll pass out. They'll take your wallet, your valuables and heaven knows what else. If it were not for this e-mail, I probably would have sniffed the 'perfume' but thanks to the generosity of an e-mailing friend, I was spared whatever might have happened to me. I wanted to do the same for you.

PLEASE PASS THIS ALONG TO ALL YOUR WOMEN FRIENDS AND PLEASE BE ALERT AND BE AWARE. IF YOU ARE A MAN AND RECEIVE THIS, PASS IT ON TO YOUR WOMEN FRIENDS.

Ladies, this happened to me yesterday and I didn't smell the perfume either, thanks to this email. This is true. Believe me, I know. I was over by Big Lots in the parking lot at lunch time when I was approached.

So either day or night, it does not matter. There were 3 guys together when I was approached. I called the police when I got back to my desk.

Like the email says above, LET EVERYONE KNOW ABOUT THIS - YOUR FRIENDS, FAMILY, CO-WORKERS, whomever. It helped me. The first thing that popped into my head was this e-mail warning.
This calls for some words to the wise. If you want to sample perfume, go to Sears, JCPenny, or any perfume shop. Do not sniff perfume from someone who approaches you in a parking lot.

Another precaution that is worth noting is this. If you paid attention in high school Chemistry class, you'll know the safest way to smell a potentially dangerous substance is NOT to stick your nose over it, but to use your hand to wave the scent to your nose over about 12 inches of distance or more. In this way, you can still lightly smell the scent, but won't get the full force of it. If it is truly ether in the bottle, you'll know without having gotten enough of a dose to knock you out.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:51 PM   #2
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 249 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
Very good Anime, nice to know.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:09 PM   #3
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
That's pretty interesting, because I've encountered and even bought some of those knock-off sents before. It's a shame that crooks can find ways to ruin just about every thing that can be ruined.
BrainSmashR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 02:57 PM   #4
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 259 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
Inhaling that amount of ether (or any other anesthetic I've ever heard of ) isn't enough to render someone (even a child) unconscious. That story is definitely bogus.

I've seen those perfume-selling people in the mall parking lot before, they're always been pretty shady looking to the point that no reasonable person would let someone like that near them in an empty parking lot, anyway. One once called me a loser for not wearing cologne.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 03:48 PM   #5
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 318 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
This was written by a guy from KVLY-TV in Fargo. This is true. Scary!
If you have to tell me before I read it that it is true then ???? Cologne is something that I feel no need to use. EVER ! Deodorant now that is a must
When I am near a man that wears cologne I always up my fire wall
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 04:46 PM   #6
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 268 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
yes, this story is bogus..

Urban Legends: Snatch and Sniff

About.com Urban Legends : The Knockout Perfume

Quote:
Though the details have morphed over time, versions of the story showing up in inboxes today are directly descended from rumors which, in turn, appear to have been based on early news reports about the alleged incident in Alabama. Instead of cologne, the soporific sample is now most often said to be perfume. Instead of an unknown, undetectable substance, the knockout drug is said to be ether. Interestingly, the moral of the story is no longer, simply, "Beware of parking lot scammers." It has evolved into, "If not for these email warnings, I could have been a victim too, and so could you!"

LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote