Go Back   Shreveport.com > SBLive! Groups > Historic Photos

Notices

Old 10-09-2007, 11:06 PM   #1
j.nc
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 209 j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all
Gilbert Dr. (a longshot photo request)

I don't see it here, but does anyone have a photo of the house that was torn down for David Tom's home on Gilbert - the corner one with the pond? Just saw something on the Fannin(?) blog about the lake being gone now. Reminds me of how long I've been away since last visit home.

Or some history of the property?

I lived down the street -bottom of Thrill Hill (which is worth some stories too). A friend and I would bike over to the pond to fish. Once we were caught in a giant thunderstorm (with hail) and the elderly lady of the house saw us and invited us in via the side door under that large overhang where we were sheltering.

She had her maid fetch us a couple of those little 8oz cokes "from the icebox" and we chatted until we could leave.

And what a fine house lost.

We'd also fish on the pond on the property at NE side Gilbert and Pierremont where the condos are now. http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&...&t=h&z=17&om=1

Damn - I sound like Huck Finn.
j.nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:16 AM   #2
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
We were told by our real estate agent several years ago that the house had severe problems. I think if I remember correctly the foundation was cracked, there was profound mold, etc. If this is correct I am sure it is the reason the house was torn down. Toms did not buy the property for a while after it was torn down. I pass this lot often and they are now doing some work around the previous pond area. It looks like it dried up due to a lack of water run off hitting it. I bet it was beautiful back in the day though!
Old 10-10-2007, 08:40 AM   #3
salguodgrubmab
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 0 salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough
5801 Gilbert
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0001.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	1575  

salguodgrubmab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:43 AM   #4
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold
Seems like there were two houses here. Where Toms house sits was a Stucco house with a pool and a pool house in the back, and next to it was a great big white house with columns. This house was more towards the curve in Gilbert.
purpahurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:48 AM   #5
j.nc
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 209 j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all
Thanks for the info Texasbelle. Even back in the day the pond was silting up and chocking with plant growth - needing a major dredge.

purpahurl - that's sounds right. I'd forgetten about that.

salguodgrubmab - cool! thanks - that's the Gilbert and Pierremont location right? I'll have to ask my Mom if she remembers but we went in there a few times but cannot recall why. I think it was a preview for an estate sale - pre-condos at the pond. The only thing I recall - except for the grand proportions of the inside - was a long room across the back with lots of windows facing east - what a view from that "elevation" - you could look out over the whole area.
If my memory is right

Now - is that pic of the house that is still there or was there one torn down to make way for the condos?
Old 10-10-2007, 10:46 AM   #6
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.nc View Post
I don't see it here, but does anyone have a photo of the house that was torn down for David Tom's home on Gilbert - the corner one with the pond? Just saw something on the Fannin(?) blog about the lake being gone now. Reminds me of how long I've been away since last visit home.

Or some history of the property?

I lived down the street -bottom of Thrill Hill (which is worth some stories too). A friend and I would bike over to the pond to fish. Once we were caught in a giant thunderstorm (with hail) and the elderly lady of the house saw us and invited us in via the side door under that large overhang where we were sheltering.

She had her maid fetch us a couple of those little 8oz cokes "from the icebox" and we chatted until we could leave.

And what a fine house lost.

Wow we have a lot in common jnc. I too went to "Lanford's pond" to fish while growing up. The house in question was the Werner house as I recall. Two houses were built on that land. The Summers home and David Tom's home I do believe. Years before tearing down the Werner house, someone poured a fortune in it fixing it up. Seems a waste to have torn it down. Yes Mrs Landford was a nice lady and didn't mind kids fishing. I caught my first largemouth bass (about 1 pound) out of that lake on a purple worm. I will never forget it. BTW, I also grew up near the bottom of thrill hill.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:59 AM   #7
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold
David Sol (I think that's right) the actor bought the villa style house. No wait , it was his ex wife, some actress. Anyway her and her son lived there in the late 80's.
purpahurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:38 AM   #8
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Actually it may have been Langford, not Lanford. I'll ask my sister, she'll know.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:30 PM   #9
j.nc
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz View Post
Wow we have a lot in common jnc.
Indeed
Old 10-10-2007, 07:33 PM   #10
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Here's the skinny on this thread. Murray Werner owned the stucco house in question here. He owned Werner Co. which was a major contractor in the 70's and before. He left his estate to his grandson and namesake (Murray V.). The Summers bought that property and built a nice house at the corner of Gilbert and Querbes.

TB Langford was the husband of the nice lady (Mrs langford) who owned the pond and let us fish. After she passed away David Toms bought all that property and built his house on the North side of the property. I think her sole heir was a niece who lived in New York, but I could be wrong. Mr Toms is currently digging the pond deeper and plans on selling a few lots in the curve. As a side note, TB Langford was partners with RM Dean and founded the radio station KRMD. The RMD was Mr Deans initials. Mr Dean had a daughter who married a Wheeler and was my next door neighbor on Gilbert Drive as it turns out. They named their son Dean. It's stange how a little research can come full circle right back at cha!
Old 10-11-2007, 01:38 PM   #11
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
David Toms does not own that whole big lot/pond combo unless he bought it in the last 6 months. About 9 months ago I worked on a project looking at doing some development there and David Toms wasn't an owner.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:14 PM   #12
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
rhertz posting bad info I used to date a girl in high school with the last name of Summers that lives right across the street after you make the curve going north on the left hand side of Gilbert. She live on a dead end street I forget the name 1977
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:44 PM   #13
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole View Post
David Toms does not own that whole big lot/pond combo unless he bought it in the last 6 months. About 9 months ago I worked on a project looking at doing some development there and David Toms wasn't an owner.
I think he did recently purchase adjacient property to develop. But I haven't checked the court records..... I could be wrong. Happens all the time.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:46 PM   #14
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon View Post
rhertz posting bad info I used to date a girl in high school with the last name of Summers that lives right across the street after you make the curve going north on the left hand side of Gilbert. She live on a dead end street I forget the name 1977
That would be Dru Circle. The Summers moved about 0.1 miles some years ago after the kids were grown. Why is this bad info?
Old 10-11-2007, 04:29 PM   #15
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz View Post
That would be Dru Circle. The Summers moved about 0.1 miles some years ago after the kids were grown. Why is this bad info?
Yes it was Dru Circle ! I am laughing about Joes post
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote