Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > Local News

Notices

Old 01-10-2008, 02:28 PM   #1
sbl_admin
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post Mayor Glover: No Money for Shreveport YWCA – “Y” has too much debt.

Mayor Glover: No Money for Shreveport YWCA – “Y” has too much debt.
City will assist in re-directing family violence & sexual assault calls to other agencies

By: Tom Pace, Executive Editor, SBLive!
January 10th, 2008

“…you were informed during the meeting , that the City would not honor your request for funding to resolve your current financial situation.” Shreveport Mayor Cedric Glover made that statement in a letter dated January 10th, 2008, and hand-delivered to Ms. Sheva Sims, newly-elected President of the Y.W.C.A. of Northwest Louisiana.

In an afternoon press conference, Glover addressed the media regarding the situation at the local YWCA that came up during the Council meeting on Tuesday, January 8th.
Glover made the point to reporters that he recognizes the need for services the YWCA provides for family violence and sexual assault cases for women, however, he (the City) is unwilling to finance the outstanding debt already incurred, or possible future debt..

In his letter to Ms. Sims, Mayor Glover continues: “As previously stated, I am committed to seeing these programs continue, and have taken steps to identify social service organizations within the City, that may be able to provide these services, in the event you are no longer able to do so. It is not my intention or desire to usurp your programs or their operations, however, steps must be taken to insure that these services continue to be offered to those in need during your transition.”

The operation of the Allendale YWCA facility, seems to be a different matter.
calling the mutual operation by the City with ‘Y’ in his letter, “a win-win” writes:
“I renew the City’s offer to assume management and control of your Allendale facility,
or subject to agreement on the terms and conditions of same, to purchase the facility outright.”

Copies of Glover’s letter were sent to members of the Shreveport City council, as well as the Clerk for the Shreveport City Council. Members of the media also received copies during the noon press conference in the Mayor’s Conference Room at Government Plaza.

Sims was not present at the Mayor’s press conference.

sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:47 PM   #2
Morpheus
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of
Old 01-10-2008, 09:33 PM   #3
j.nc
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 209 j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all
Unfamiliar with the Shreveport Y backstory but the Ys here are awash in cash and best most of the private heatlth clubs (even country clubs). Problems is I don't know what their track record is for community outreach.