Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Government & Politics

Notices

Old 09-07-2007, 06:29 AM   #1
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
How long do we have ?

How Long Do We Have?
About the time our original thirteen states adopted their new constitution in 1787, Alexander Tyler, a Scottish history professor at the University of Edinburgh, had this to say about the fall of the Athenian Republic some 2,000 years earlier:
"A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government."
"A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury."
"From that moment on, the majority always vote for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship."
"The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the beginning of history, has been about 200 years."
"During those 200 years, those nations always progressed through the following sequence:
from bondage to spiritual faith;
from spiritual faith to great courage;
from courage to liberty;
from liberty to abundance;
from abundance to complacency;
from complacency to apathy;
from apathy to dependence;
From dependence back into bondage"
Professor Joseph Olson of Hemline University School of Law, St. Paul, Minnesota, points out some interesting facts concerning the 2000 Presidential election:
Number of States won by: Gore: 19 Bush: 29
Square miles of land won by: Gore: 580,000 Bush: 2,427,000
Population of counties won by: Gore: 127 million Bush: 143 million
Murder rate per 100,000 residents in counties won by: Gore: 13.2 Bush: 2.1
Professor Olson adds: "In aggregate, the map of the territory Bush won was mostly the land owned by the taxpaying citizens of this great country. Gore's territory mostly encompassed those citizens living in government-owned tenements and living off various forms of government welfare..."
Olson believes the United States is now somewhere between the "complacency and apathy" phase of Professor Tyler's definition of democracy, with some forty percent of the nation's population already having reached the "governmental dependency" phase.
If Congress grants amnesty and citizenship to twenty million criminal invaders -- called illegal's -- and they vote, then we can say goodbye to the USA in fewer than five years.
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:12 AM   #2
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
>Number of States won by: Gore: 19 Bush: 29

Who won the other two?
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:12 AM   #3
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
Also, the quote appears to be made up:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/tyler.asp
Old 09-07-2007, 09:13 AM   #4
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

And the murder rate stats are wrong.

Haven't we debunked this one before?
Old 09-07-2007, 09:20 AM   #5
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
There you go again with your facts and such.

This is Louisiana, get with the program! It's a good thing you have real skills. You would make a terrible governor or New Orleans city mayor.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:31 AM   #6
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole View Post
And the murder rate stats are wrong.

Haven't we debunked this one before?
You can debunk and quibble all you want joepole. Do you think the people that write snoops do not have a agenda ? Once again joe you get caught looking at the single tree and miss the entire forest. When a people can vote themselves entitlements and hand outs then they are a cancer to the government and the working class people. You may want to look up Isaac on snoops to see if I really posted that. oh and welcome to LA as rhertz would say.
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:09 AM   #7
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
well.. I think it's an interesting topic no doubt.. how long can the republic last.. and I think joe is just doing what he does.. making sure the 'facts' are correct.

Emails get passed around, and they get a life of their own.

TGIF
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:24 AM   #8
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight View Post
well.. I think it's an interesting topic no doubt.. how long can the republic last.. and I think joe is just doing what he does.. making sure the 'facts' are correct.

Emails get passed around, and they get a life of their own.

TGIF
Hey LN I am OK with joepole and anything he post. He does not make me mad and I like many of his post and do not agree with others. No big deal. I agree emails do get a life of their own. I made the point I wanted to make here.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:40 AM   #9
GuardChief

Rep Power: 0 GuardChief has a spectacular aura about GuardChief has a spectacular aura about GuardChief has a spectacular aura about
,QUOTE=Isaac-Saxxon;20912]You can debunk and quibble all you want joepole. Do you think the people that write snoops do not have a agenda ? Once again joe you get caught looking at the single tree and miss the entire forest. When a people can vote themselves entitlements and hand outs then they are a cancer to the government and the working class people. You may want to look up Isaac on snoops to see if I really posted that. oh and welcome to LA as rhertz would say. [/quote]

I agree with you 100%, Isaac. What is there to quibble over? I didnt see anything that struck me as untrue or unbelievable. We are in mortal danger of becoming a dictatorship or police state. To dispute this fact is to truly expose one's nievete (sp?) or gullibility. The Republic, if it could even be called that anymore, is on the very edge of doom and nobody is doing a damn thing about it. Like frogs in a slowly heating pot of water. It always happens this way. Safeguarding the Republic is a never ending job because there is always somebody who wants it to fail. And its a dangerous job because the first of us who takes a stand literally risks everything, as a budding infant dictatorship typically disposes of the initial "civil unrest" (and you can define that any way you want) in a very harsh fashion, so as to "make an example" to the rest. In other words, they'll use fear to assert their control. They'll be playing for keeps, and I suggest we all accept that if we want the Republic to endure, we had better be prepared to reciprocate.

Just keep your eyes on the guns. They'll have to go before the enemies of freedom can make their move.

Last edited by GuardChief; 09-07-2007 at 11:15 AM.
GuardChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:12 AM   #10
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole View Post
"This more appropriate method yields the following average murder rates in counties won by each candidate:

Gore: 6.5
Bush: 4.1

There is a distinct difference between these two numbers, but it is nowhere near as large as the quoted email message states"

I still find this statistic to be an interesting and revealing. The murder rate in Gore counties is more than one and a half times as high as Bush counties. (as fact)

Ironically, I am also willing to bet the CO2 levels are significantly higher in Gore counties, but please don't ask me to prove it.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:49 AM   #11
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz View Post
"This more appropriate method yields the following average murder rates in counties won by each candidate:

Gore: 6.5
Bush: 4.1

There is a distinct difference between these two numbers, but it is nowhere near as large as the quoted email message states"

I still find this statistic to be an interesting and revealing. The murder rate in Gore counties is more than one and a half times as high as Bush counties. (as fact)

Ironically, I am also willing to bet the CO2 levels are significantly higher in Gore counties, but please don't ask me to prove it.
Oh come now rhertzpole you should get your facts about CO2 from snoops before you post right private Pyle
Old 09-09-2007, 11:32 AM   #12
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon View Post
Oh come now rhertzpole you should get your facts about CO2 from snoops before you post right private Pyle
LOL, is that an "ad hominem" attack towards me or joe? or both? What statement in my post do you disagree with?

I clearly said that I do believe the murder rate is surprisingly higher in Gore counties. The CO2 comment was a joke slash "ad hominem" attack towards Gore who I do not agree with.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:21 PM   #13
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

"During those 200 years, those nations always progressed through the following sequence:
from courage to liberty;
Old 09-09-2007, 06:50 PM   #14
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon View Post
from courage to liberty;
That part I liked and agreed with as well. I even think people are like that at different stages in life. I'm somewhere between the complacency and apathy stage I think. Not looking good. Wish I could go back to liberty and abundance. I'm tryin'!
Old 09-09-2007, 07:03 PM   #15
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz View Post
That part I liked and agreed with as well. I even think people are like that at different stages in life. I'm somewhere between the complacency and apathy stage I think. Not looking good. Wish I could go back to liberty and abundance. I'm tryin'!
And when it is time to relax TEE KNEE richard, richard, richard