Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-18-2006, 09:00 AM   #1
kansast
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 kansast has a spectacular aura about kansast has a spectacular aura about kansast has a spectacular aura about
Dog saves owner from fire, dies trying to save cat.

Yea, that headline caugth my attention too.

Dog saves owner from fire, dies trying to rescue cat

Quote:
Jamie Hanson said her 13-year-old dog Jesse brought her artificial leg and a phone she used to call 911.

"She got me outside and then she heard the cat upstairs and she went up there to get the cat, and she wouldn't come back to me," Hanson, 49, said at a news conference Monday at Aurora Sheboygan Memorial Medical Center, where she was being treated for her injuries.
DAMN CATS! Always causin' trouble! Alwasy amazes me when I hear about some animal saving a family from a fire or the like. Reminds me of some story awhile back, a couple had some old dog, was very sick and they had a new born baby. They spent some crazy amount of money to treat this dog,(which was sick) saving the dogs life.. some weeks later back at home, the baby was lying in it's crib.. turning blue unable to breath, the dog woke everyone up and alerted the parents to the baby's condition, saving the baby's life.

My dog woke me up once when my two sons, very little at the time, were trying to light a fake christmas tree on fire
kansast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 06:23 PM   #2
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 246 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
The article doesn't mention if the cat was also killed. What a tragedy! They should build a shrine for that dog. Reminds me..about a month ago, my wife woke up to find that one of the burners on our gas stove top was blazing away full blast, and not another soul awake in the house. I've also found the burner knob slightly turned on with gas flooding the kitchen. A few nights later, we were sitting in our living room watching the tube, when one of our dogs stood up on his hind legs in our kitchen with his paws on the front control panel of the stove and accidently turned on one of the burners (he was trying to get at some food on the stove). It became all too clear how this was happening. Even worse, some of the people in my house are in the dangerous habit of leaving oven mits, paper towels, etc on top of the stove. I've screamed at everyone about this till I'm blue in the face. Guess our house will have to burn down with us in it before they'll listen. But I do need to construct a cover of some sort to place over the knobs on the stove to prevent this.
Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:56 PM   #3
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swearengen
Even worse, some of the people in my house are in the dangerous habit of leaving oven mits, paper towels, etc on top of the stove. I've screamed at everyone about this till I'm blue in the face.
Al I used to have this problem. Then I placed a big oak "knife block" next to the stove with *really* big knives in it. Lots of knives.. Really sharp knives. Big chef knives. Now I don't have that problem anymore.. Just passing on a a little homeowners tip here.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:54 PM   #4
kansast
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 kansast has a spectacular aura about kansast has a spectacular aura about kansast has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swearengen
Reminds me..about a month ago, my wife woke up to find that one of the burners on our gas stove top was blazing away full blast, and not another soul awake in the house. I've also found the burner knob slightly turned on with gas flooding the kitchen.

My dog woke me up early one morning, my kids aged like 2 and 4 at the time, were trying to LIGHT the fake christmas tree on fire. Fortunately all they did was melt a branch a little bit. But my dog KNEW those kids shouldn't be playing with a lighter and she woke me up with her barking at me! And there they were playing with this crazy lighter. Tragedy avoided.
kansast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 12:05 AM   #5
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
Stove Knob Covers

Stove Knob covers:

http://www.amazon.com/Stove-Knob-Cov...734548?ie=UTF8

They don't seem to get very good reviews, but for $5 it's worth a shot.

Tonight I turned on my lower oven to cook something only to find out about 15 minutes later that my wife had left a wooden cutting board in there to dry. Luckily I caught it before it ignited.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote