Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-24-2007, 08:46 PM   #1
Santabot
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to Santabot
Most popular browser here?

I, personally, use Mozilla Firefox, always have, and hopefully will continue as long as they improve their software.

I've tried out Opera in the past, lackluster at best.

IE and the recent IE7 is a joke in my eyes.

Netscape isn't even a contender.

What about you guys?
Santabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:35 PM   #2
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 261 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Here are some stats that recorded the browser hits to one of my new sites after a month or so of air time. This cut compares IE hits vs. Firefox hits. As you can see, IE is apparently far more popular than Firefox.

Click image for larger version

Name:	browsers.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	377

As for my personal opinions, I have perspectives to offer. For a user, I commonly use IE myself. It has a few glitches every now and then, but it certainly does what I need it to do. Firefox works great too.

From a webmaster's perspective, Firefox is an obnoxious, picky, stubborn piece of s**t. I like making my pages look JUST right. When I get my pages looking like works of art in IE, it is almost certain Firefox will have a problem with it somewhere. This is also true in the reverse in cases where I work on pages in Firefox and later view them in IE. Those two browsers just can't agree. Personally, I give priority to the more popular browser.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:57 PM   #3
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santabot
I, personally, use Mozilla Firefox, always have, and hopefully will continue as long as they improve their software.

I've tried out Opera in the past, lackluster at best.

IE and the recent IE7 is a joke in my eyes.

Netscape isn't even a contender.

What about you guys?
As a Macintosh user, I've been using Apple's Safari Browser (based on Konqueror's KHTML engine) since its release. But here lately, have become a fan of Firefox and its many add-on tools. Split my time between the two.
Internet Explorer has always drove me crazy with its little quirks. As far as Web development goes.
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:58 PM   #4
Santabot
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit
Here are some stats that recorded the browser hits to one of my new sites after a month or so of air time. This cut compares IE hits vs. Firefox hits. As you can see, IE is apparently far more popular than Firefox.

Attachment 377

As for my personal opinions, I have perspectives to offer. For a user, I commonly use IE myself. It has a few glitches every now and then, but it certainly does what I need it to do. Firefox works great too.

From a webmaster's perspective, Firefox is an obnoxious, picky, stubborn piece of s**t. I like making my pages look JUST right. When I get my pages looking like works of art in IE, it is almost certain Firefox will have a problem with it somewhere. This is also true in the reverse in cases where I work on pages in Firefox and later view them in IE. Those two browsers just can't agree. Personally, I give priority to the more popular browser.
Indeed, but I usually visit web pages that are more fluent with the Firefox side of things, since a lot of the sites that I'm around fully support Mozilla. But yes, as a developer and a programmer, I also begin with IE7 just to get things working right, and then use browser translation to make it adapt to the browser the user is operating on. I haven't in a while, since before IE7, but I only use it for writing and coding pages, never to actually view or use them, it's just because most of the people who don't know anything else BUT IE will inevitably need support somewhere, so that's for them, but to those who prefer Mozilla, I agree.
Santabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:52 PM   #5
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 261 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
I know what you mean. If there's one thing I can't STAND, it's having to code pages that dynamically shift a little in order to accomodate both popular browsers. It's a real pain, but I guess that's something we have to live with. We'll never get Mozilla and Microsoft to agree.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:37 PM   #6
nice person

newbie here

Hi,

I figured I would post and say hi i'm new to the forum. I use firefox on both pc and mac. I have used Safari on mac it's pretty nice but I just like to use the same browser on any computer.
nice person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:37 PM   #7
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold

Your avatar sucks!
purpahurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 09:22 PM   #8
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by nice person
Hi,

I figured I would post and say hi i'm new to the forum. I use firefox on both pc and mac. I have used Safari on mac it's pretty nice but I just like to use the same browser on any computer.
Welcome, I think?
And I thought Isaac's avatar was the scariest?! Kudos for stealing that title!!
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:07 PM   #9
nice person

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpahurl
Your avatar sucks!
Thank you for the very nice welcome i think?
Old 04-29-2007, 12:35 AM   #10
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

As this is a community website, that type of avatar may be considered inappropriate. I would advise changing it.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:15 AM   #11
Santabot
Advanced Member

Quote:
As this is a community website, that type of avatar may be considered inappropriate. I would advise changing it.
I think you meant family website, because community can be anything, it just means people are communicating with each other..

But anyway.. let him have what he wants, it doesn't look that bad.. it's not obscene or anything.. yet.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:59 AM   #12
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
The browser "problem" is that IE is very forgiving of code errors, Firefox is not. So if you view something that looks good in IE but then is messed up in Firefox, then there's an error in your code or at the very least, it's not W3C compliant
BrainSmashR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:59 AM   #13
nice person

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainSmashR
The browser "problem" is that IE is very forgiving of code errors, Firefox is not. So if you view something that looks good in IE but then is messed up in Firefox, then there's an error in your code or at the very least, it's not W3C compliant
IE has always been forgiving of errors that is why it's the choice of wed designers. I remember years ago when netscape was the one most people used due to hating IE.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:03 AM   #14
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainSmashR
Yeah, I've heard that before. But in my opinion, a browser should be a little forgiving because HTML, PHP, and CSS syntax are very loose. Here's a simple example.

I like using fieldsets on some objects on my site because the LEGEND tag looks great as a generic block header. You can probably tell that vBulletin uses them too for the same reason. In IE, a fieldset is treated as a block object, so the fieldset block will adjust in height and width to make room for whatever is inside it if the content is bigger than the established fieldset width.

In Firefox, however, when you set the width of a fieldset, the block STAYS at that exact width. Now what happens if your content gets too big for the block? The content actually span across the fieldset's border and hang out. Some could call this a programming error, but unexpected lengths of data happen in dynamic programming all the time.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:02 AM   #15
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Quote:
Yeah, I've heard that before. But in my opinion, a browser should be a little forgiving because HTML, PHP, and CSS syntax are very loose. Here's a simple example.

I like using fieldsets on some objects on my site because the LEGEND tag looks great as a generic block header. You can probably tell that vBulletin uses them too for the same reason. In IE, a fieldset is treated as a block object, so the fieldset block will adjust in height and width to make room for whatever is inside it if the content is bigger than the established fieldset width.

In Firefox, however, when you set the width of a fieldset, the block STAYS at that exact width. Now what happens if your content gets too big for the block? The content actually span across the fieldset's border and hang out. Some could call this a programming error, but unexpected lengths of data happen in dynamic programming all the time.
I understand your problems completely. Try displaying html within php if you want some real fun. More often then I care to admit I have to scrap ideas because getting it to look just right between php, Firefox and IE is just beyond my capability.
BrainSmashR is offline   Reply With Quote