Go Back   Shreveport.com > SBLive! Groups > Historic Photos

Notices

Old 11-09-2007, 11:47 PM   #1
sbl_admin
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post Comments on: jue resturant

Reader comments and feedback for the jue resturant photo.
This image is part of the Historic Photos photo gallery

sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 12:05 AM   #2
j.nc
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 209 j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all
Jue's restaurant - One of only asian place in Shreveport -or South Highlands area - at the time (well, maybe - there was Kon Tiki and Bamboo but not sure if they were asian owned). Sue Ming Jue, one of the daughters, had me in one time to visit and served up some Peking Duck. The grandparents had a booth in the back that they occupied and her Mom (or was it her grandmother?) walked up to me, looked up, and laughingly kept repeating somthing in Chinese. Sue, red faced, translated she was saying "Land of the Giants" [like the old TV show... I''m 6'3"]. Large family, wonderful folk.
j.nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:13 PM   #3
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Been years ago but I have been in there to eat. Good food and very home style. Been years I now like my Asian food raw (Sushi) and the old wok has gone to the side.
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 07:09 PM   #4
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold
Hands down the best oriental restaurant S'port ever had.
Hing "Hary" Jue and Mama were the owners and cooks. Not the cleanest place but the tastiest. Nanking is as close as you can get now.

One summer I ate there every day for lunch, and for the weekends they would pack me up a couple of pounds of BBQ pork and rice and a box w/ about 15 eggrolls.

I really miss this place. Harry died a few years ago and after the Funeral, Nanking put on a great spread.
purpahurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:44 PM   #5
salguodgrubmab
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 0 salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough
I would deliver soda there in the seventies. Every Thursday 8 cases of 6 1/2 oz. coke and 3 dr pepper. The sink was by the cooler and I was amazed at the sheer artistry and mathematical wizardry of getting all those dirty dishes in there. You couldn't have fit one more butter knife. Mama was the cook and bus but dish washing was on a we have no more clean dishes or cutlery basis. She was a genuine artist of traditional Chinese crafts. After the lunch rush, rather than wash the dishes she would be working on her art. My favorite moments were when they would spat. Chinese is funny enough but when spoken with vitriol it is a riot. Your would think they were going to throw down at any moment. I don't know what they would fight about but I for some reason believe that most of them were over washing dishes.
salguodgrubmab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 03:07 PM   #6
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold
[ My favorite moments were when they would spat. Chinese is funny enough but when spoken with vitriol it is a riot. Your would think they were going to throw down at any moment. I don't know what they would fight about but I for some reason believe that most of them were over washing dishes.[/quote]

We used to call this "Gibbernese" . It was completely unintelligeable words with sounds thrown in for good measure.
purpahurl is offline   Reply With Quote