Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-03-2008, 08:09 AM   #1
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
Snake eats four golf balls

http://www.smh.com.au/news/unusual-t...949879965.html

Quote:
A carpet python has been operated on by Gold Coast vets to remove four golf balls from its intestine.

"People have been putting golf balls under their brooding hens pretending that they are eggs to make the chickens happy," senior veterinarian at Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary Dr Michael Pyne said.

"The snake has got in thinking that he has got a free meal and swallowed up these four golf balls."

The snake was found by residents at a house at Nobby's Creek near Murwillumbah in northern New South Wales.

"During the surgery we could see the name of the golf balls through the intestine because they were so stretched from these large golf balls being in there."
The old golf balls work everytime. We use to do that years ago, or we would put plastic easter eggs in the nest so when a chicken snake ate them it would kill the snake.
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2008, 11:04 PM   #2
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 257 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
That snake actually ate three golf balls:

http://www.futilitycloset.com/2007/0...at-4-equals-3/
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:17 PM   #3
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 246 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
My condolences to Joe and his fam. I hope he fully recovers.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:39 AM   #4
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swearengen View Post
My condolences to Joe and his fam. I hope he fully recovers.
I don't know Al it could be heredity. [yicks] I wonder if he used these kind of formulas when they were making a family.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:24 AM   #5
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole View Post
That snake actually ate three golf balls:
http://www.futilitycloset.com/2007/0...at-4-equals-3/
I know you meant this as a joke, but let me clarify it anyway.

This equation was not properly calculated. In step 3, the author chose to shift the numbers around and factor them by reversing the distributive property. Combining like terms would've been the proper means of solving the equation. If he had properly combined like terms, he would've ended up right back at "a+b=c". Therefore, step 3 was pretty much pulled out of nowhere, invalidating the rest of the equation.

BUT, let's say he didn't screw up in step 3. Given the answer that the author received, the answer to this equation would be expressed as "4≠3," making the statement true and the equation solved.

I hate college algebra, but I've seen quite a bit of it this past year.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:28 AM   #6
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Why didn't they let the grotesque creature and his poor eating habits die??I hate all snakes especially really large ones!

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:48 AM   #7
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 257 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
Actually, step 3 is fine, the distributive property was used correctly.

The problem is that between 3 and 4 you divide both sides by (a + b - c) which, according to the initial equation, is 0. You can't divide by 0.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:54 PM   #8
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole View Post
Actually, step 3 is fine, the distributive property was used correctly.

The problem is that between 3 and 4 you divide both sides by (a + b - c) which, according to the initial equation, is 0. You can't divide by 0.
Yes, the distributive property was used correctly, but it shouldn't have been used at all. Combining like terms is a fundamental of algebra and the author avoided it entirely in order to get the outcome that he did.

Go to http://www.algebrahelp.com/calculators/equation/ and run the equation from step 2 and you'll see what I mean.

Improper calculation = invalid outcome!
Old 01-04-2008, 02:52 PM   #9
j.nc
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 209 j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all
yeah, I like this one though. As JP says...
if a+b=c then (a+b-c) = 0

So in the last step you are actually saying x divided by zero equals y divided by zero:
3/(a+b-c)=4/(a+b-c)
or
3/0=4/0

heh, tricky
j.nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:16 PM   #10
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.nc View Post
yeah, I like this one though. As JP says...
if a+b=c then (a+b-c) = 0

So in the last step you are actually saying x divided by zero equals y divided by zero:
3/(a+b-c)=4/(a+b-c)
or
3/0=4/0

heh, tricky
Yes, that's another couple of rules of algebra broken.

(a+b-c) would equal zero. That, I can agree with, but if you are to add a 3 to one side of the equation, you must add a 3 to the other in order to keep the equation balanced, getting (3/0=3/0). This, in fact, would be a mathematical impossibility because, as Joe said, you can't divide by zero. However, discussing division is a side issue anyway, because no division took place in this equation nor should it have.

So let's see where the author started. He started with this, (a+b=c), which equals zero when you rearrange it as (a+b-c=0). Now, if you wanted to distribute 3 and 4 across (a+b-c), you can NOT put 3 on one side and 4 on the other as the author did. This imbalances the equation so no wonder he got such an impossible outcome.

When you add an element to an equation, you have to add equally to BOTH sides of the equation in order to keep it balanced, getting this (3*4(a+b-c)=3*4(0)). If (a+b-c) equals zero, then while following proper order of operations, this would work down to (0=0), a perfectly acceptable outcome.