Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Health & Wellness

Notices

Old 03-26-2007, 08:53 PM   #1
Ugg

Rep Power: 0 Ugg will become famous soon enough Ugg will become famous soon enough
With the coming of Spring, so comes the Mosquitoes

Just wondering what you all locals think about these Mosquitoes and the West Nile Virus. I get a laugh out of the news sources that say, "don't go out in the evenings and the mornings, for that's feeding time for the mosquitoes" and to "wear long sleeve shirts and pants" etc.. And what with Louisiana being the Sportsman Paradise and all.
Ugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:58 PM   #2
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Well us here in the Sportsmens Paradise (those with any sense) have had to learn to adapt our ways when out hunting critters. I know ya'll probably did it different back in the day of the cave, but the 'skeeters are vicious. The virus they carry is nasty, anybody can get it, and it has some nasty consequences. Yes, you should wear insect repellant. Yes, wear long pants/sleeves. Yes, be very very careful of these small monsters. On our home we actually installed a system that is set on a timer and it goes off about 4 times a day and sprays a natural insect repellent. It kills the mosquitos, wasps, flies, and the life. Highly recommend it! Don't know how it would work on a cave though.
Texasbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:34 AM   #3
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
That is great every four hours PCB's around the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbelle
Well us here in the Sportsmens Paradise (those with any sense) have had to learn to adapt our ways when out hunting critters. I know ya'll probably did it different back in the day of the cave, but the 'skeeters are vicious. The virus they carry is nasty, anybody can get it, and it has some nasty consequences. Yes, you should wear insect repellant. Yes, wear long pants/sleeves. Yes, be very very careful of these small monsters. On our home we actually installed a system that is set on a timer and it goes off about 4 times a day and sprays a natural insect repellent. It kills the mosquitos, wasps, flies, and the life. Highly recommend it! Don't know how it would work on a cave though.
Chemical spray soaking down the area every four hours that sounds very toxic.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:37 AM   #4
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
What part of natural insect repellant did you not understand Isaac?! It's actually pyrethrin, the same chemical found in marigolds for instance completely organic and not toxic. Dear hubby would never allow a toxic carcinogen spraying at this house!!!

It doesn't soak anything either. It actually sprays a fine mist for one minute. You can set it to go off more or less, it's whatever you choose. I sure do enjoy being able to sit outside on the patio or in the garden or hang around the pool without being mosquito food.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:46 AM   #5
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
If it "kills" bugs and other pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbelle
What part of natural insect repellant did you not understand Isaac?! It's actually pyrethrin, the same chemical found in marigolds for instance completely organic and not toxic. Dear hubby would never allow a toxic carcinogen spraying at this house!!!

It doesn't soak anything either. It actually sprays a fine mist for one minute. You can set it to go off more or less, it's whatever you choose. I sure do enjoy being able to sit outside on the patio or in the garden or hang around the pool without being mosquito food.
It could not be that good to inhale Anything that makes spiders leave has got to be hot. What are you growing in your garden ? I think geodude does those Japanese Maples that you are looking for. Check out his group on this site. Good morning
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:11 AM   #6
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Well I don't go stand underneath it and breath it in. Not that dumbed up yet!!! How's the garden growing? Vegetable garden going in this weekend. We have a one garden area off one side of the home with a water feature, that's what we worked on this weekend. We built the beds and planted part of them. It has ligustrums, gardenias, zinnias, impatiens, hydrangeas (my fav's), camellias, one Japanese maple and looking for another, and some other assorted things I cant recall at the moment.

I have a rose garden close to the pool which I'll dandy up this week a little. It's full of old fashioned roses mostly as in the David Austin varieties. Are you familiar? The next challenge will be that we need to completely redo all the beds across the front of the home. Ughhhhh dreading that challenge. These 40 y/o bones might not be up to it!!!!