Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Religion & Spirit

Notices

Old 04-23-2007, 10:14 PM   #1
Santabot
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to Santabot
Some quotes I like.

Just here to share some quotes, some cited, some not, that I think some of you may enjoy, or maybe not. Nevertheless, I'm posting them here anyway for the same of expressing my right to do so.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." -Stephen Roberts

"Those who are willing to sacrifice freedoms for security desire neither." -Benjamin Franklin

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." -Seneca

"They call it the American Dream because you have to be asleep to see it." - George Carlin

"When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called Religion." -Robert M. Pirsig

"The mind has no limits, only religion does."

"Men never commit evil so fully and joyfuly as when they do it for religious convictions" -Blaise Pascal

"If you love God, burn a church" -Jello Biafra

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion." -Treaty of Tripoly, Article 11

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason" -Benjamin Franklin

"Man created God in his image : intolerant, sexist, homophobic and violent."

"Don't pray in my school, and I won't think in your church"
Santabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:24 PM   #2
Isabella
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 236 Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of
Thumbs down

I guess you got your point across how you feel about religion.

I definitely don't agree with you. However, you are entitled to your beliefs.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:26 PM   #3
cosmo kramer
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 217 cosmo kramer is a splendid one to behold cosmo kramer is a splendid one to behold cosmo kramer is a splendid one to behold cosmo kramer is a splendid one to behold cosmo kramer is a splendid one to behold cosmo kramer is a splendid one to behold cosmo kramer is a splendid one to behold
So Santabot...what kind of fun are you going to have after you die?
cosmo kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:27 PM   #4
Santabot
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella
I guess you got your point across how you feel about religion.

I definitely don't agree with you. However, you are entitled to your beliefs.
Did I say they were my beliefs? Or did I place the word quote multiple times in the post, to show you (since your skull size increases with each post you make) that someone else said it. Those other persons most likely people you have, or once have looked up to as leaders, maybe most you don't even know of because you're not familiar with this "society" thing.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:33 PM   #5
Santabot
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo kramer
So Santabot...what kind of fun are you going to have after you die?
I don't know, because, well, I'll be dead, like the rest of you. Personally, I believe that religion is its own archaic immature attempt and holding on to life, something that nobody once or even now knows about postmortem. Have you died before? Can you tell me what this afterlife looks like? Have you ever met a person that has died before? No, because they are dead. I've read plenty of good stories, seen plenty of zombie films, this does not mean to say that I put my (whatever value it has) faith into the authenticity of that resurrected person's life.

If there were a hell, and I died now, sadly, I wouldn't be there, to all of your dismay. I was a born-again Christian once upon a time long passed, and according to you, your book, and your leaders, the change is permanent. I honestly hope I don't live on past this life, I've come to, you know, cherish the life I have, instead of being ignorant about it and trying to understand a falsity that my life will continue after death.

I recommend a few books such as Machiavelli's The Prince for your personal edification on how religion works with tyrannical societies like ours, read up, and don't take the first word for it, educate yourself and never cease. This is how you will become a better person, not by being a stagnant child and believing in archaic texts that proved no more than we can even prove now.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:39 PM   #6
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santabot
Did I say they were my beliefs? Or did I place the word quote multiple times in the post, to show you (since your skull size increases with each post you make) that someone else said it. Those other persons most likely people you have, or once have looked up to as leaders, maybe most you don't even know of because you're not familiar with this "society" thing.
Are you honestly gonna tell us that you are posting quotes that you like, but do not endorse them yourself? It's not a long jump to assume that you like these quotes because you agree with them.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:41 PM   #7
cosmo kramer
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 217 cosmo kramer is a splendid one to behold cosmo kramer is a splendid one to behold cosmo kramer is a splendid one to behold cosmo kramer is a splendid one to behold cosmo kramer is a splendid one to behold cosmo kramer is a splendid one to behold cosmo kramer is a splendid one to behold
You rock Anime!
cosmo kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:42 PM   #8
Isabella
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 236 Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of
YES ANIME DOES!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-23-2007, 10:42 PM   #9
Santabot
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit
Are you honestly gonna tell us that you are posting quotes that you like, but do not endorse them yourself? It's not a long jump to assume that you like these quotes because you agree with them.
Sure, I can agree with them, but can I also state that I have the education and experience to back up the statements myself? Of course not. I can; however, point out some quotes originally stated by persons with respectable reputations who have upheld the same country you seem to think is innately designed to be an evangelical superchurchcountrysinpool. I can churn many more out if you'd like some further insight into educated minds of our American History and others which further backup my statements, I did not impose them on you, but objectively shared them for your personal edification.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:44 PM   #10
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Quote:
Have you died before? Can you tell me what this afterlife looks like? Have you ever met a person that has died before? No, because they are dead.
I've met quite a few people in my life who honestly believe they have reincarnated before. I've seen documentaries of people who have had past life regressions and remembered all kinds of stuff from previous lives.

In fact, I once consulted a psychic myself who said I've lived before. Unfortunately, I've had such a long childhood that I can't remember much of what happened before birth.

I don't really know if I've actually lived before and I don't know if others have, but I can't disprove it either so I can't really call anyone a liar.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:44 PM   #11
Isabella
Advanced Member

Santabot, you are so kind to share.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:46 PM   #12
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Sure, I can agree with them, but can I also state that I have the education and experience to back up the statements myself? Of course not. I can; however, point out some quotes originally stated by persons with respectable reputations who have upheld the same country you seem to think is innately designed to be an evangelical superchurchcountrysinpool.
So what? What is reputation worth? I've got a good reputation here on SBLive!, but this doesn't make me an authority of theology. But if you wanna talk religious authorities, I can quote Ray Buckland and Rev. Derek Younger all day.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:47 PM   #13
Santabot
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella
Santabutt, you are so kind to share.
Thank you, I enjoy the constant abusive welcome I've gained from this amazingly Christian-like brotherly-loving bunch you all seem to be. It's too bad a lowly non-believer like myself will never make it into your sacred kingdom of magical creatures and corpses.

I honestly don't know how some of you put up with yourselves for as long as you have.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:49 PM   #14
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Hey there, buddy. Before you label the board as collectively Christian, you should know that SOME of us are not Christian at all, yet we still get along with other members just fine. Why? The keyword is.....TACT.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:50 PM   #15
Isabella
Advanced Member

LOL, this may be fun!