Go Back   Shreveport.com > SBLive! Groups > Historic Photos

Notices

Old 07-01-2007, 12:58 PM   #1
sbl_admin
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post Comments on: s highlands school

Reader comments and feedback for the s highlands school photo.
This image is part of the Historic Photos photo gallery

Last edited by sbl_admin; 07-05-2007 at 01:39 PM.
sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:07 PM   #2
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
What strikes me the most about this photo are the A/C units in the windows.. There was no AC in the 60's, only fans.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:26 PM   #3
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
That pic had to have been taken in the mid 80s or later. Prior to that there was a huge set of stairs there instead of that weird brick monstrosity. That was the main entrance to the school, it led to the second floor. the office was on the left after you went up the stairs.

My best friend in elementary school loved right there across the street from the stairs and I lived across the street on the other side of the school.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 03:12 PM   #4
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
My best friend in elementary school loved right there across the street from the stairs and I lived across the street on the other side of the school.
I knew the family across the street from the stairs but a few doors down (towards Line) For years they had the best christmas party every year.

As for the heat, I still remember the huge stains under Mr Moore's armpits. I can't imagine working in dress clothes without AC back then. I'm sure bra's and girdles were very uncomfortable in the heat as well.

But what I remember the most about South Highlands was Field Day. They would always have Paddywagon rides. LOL, I think they used us kids to test their doors. We would go crazy yelling and jumping in the back while they took us for a few laps around the block. When they hit the siren, we went insane.. If you were luck, you were picked to be the one to wear the handcuffs! I also like the lucky rabbits foots which where died in all colors.. (I like purple) I'm sure PETA would be thrilled had they been around.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:14 PM   #5
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz
foots...
And yes I said foots on purpose.. That's what we called them. (Rabbit's feet are still on live rabbits, all four of them.)
Old 10-01-2007, 10:19 PM   #6
j.nc
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 209 j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all
Paddywagon rides - check. The rabbits foot on field day at South Highlands- lol. My kids look at me weird whenever I tell them that story.

Talk about no fans... I was in the shack in the niche in 3rd grade and in 6th(?) in the shack in the area across the "street" from the back of the library.

What was the single teachers name who was big on Latin America? I never had her but (like my brother) got stuck with cruddy instruments during the "calypso" show.

They walled off the front and have a new entrance- more secure I suppose. What a shame. They let me take my family thru during school @2000 - i used to think it was soooo big, the auditorium, etc. Ha.

When we finished 6th grade (they didnt have those silly "graduations" like they do now) -the parents (bless 'em) wanted to "keep us together" and started some club called "The Space Set" and had a few parties. One was at Shakey's Pizza and another was some big elaborate event at the armory (fort humbug) with all kinds of games where you could win tickets, etc. Got to hand it to those folks.

I still have my "Space Set" felt pennant somewhere. Rocket saturn stars on a navy background..
j.nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:10 AM   #7
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
>They walled off the front and have a new entrance- more secure I suppose.

ADA compliance, they wanted the office to be wheelchair accessible.

I was there Saturday letting my kids play (my folks still live across the street) and they've added a HUGE performing arts (i.e. auditorium) building and enclosed the courtyard at the top of the stairs from the playground. There is also this horribly ugly, giant, loud aluminum wheelchair ramp that wraps around the SW corner.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 01:38 PM   #8
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.nc View Post
Paddywagon rides - check. The rabbits foot on field day at South Highlands- lol. My kids look at me weird whenever I tell them that story.

Talk about no fans... I was in the shack in the niche in 3rd grade and in 6th(?) in the shack in the area across the "street" from the back of the library.
I remember that shack. Our music teacher was named Mrs Moore and her husband Mr Moore also worked at South Highlands. He used to teach in that shack and he always had sweat stains under his armpits.

Quote:
What was the single teachers name who was big on Latin America? I never had her but (like my brother) got stuck with cruddy instruments during the "calypso" show.
I forget her name but I will find out and post it here. Once I hear it I'm sure it will bring my memory back like a snap!
Old 10-24-2007, 10:51 PM   #9
j.nc
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 209 j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz View Post
Quote:

I forget her name but I will find out and post it here. Once I hear it I'm sure it will bring my memory back like a snap!
Dyed red hair? Traveled to Mexico every summer? Miss Scarborough ?
j.nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:58 PM   #10
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Dyed red hair? Traveled to Mexico every summer? Miss Scarborough ?
No I remember Miss Scarborough. I never had her as a teacher. But she was one of the icons up therefor sure. but the Calipso lady had a spanish name as I recall...