Go Back   Shreveport.com > SBLive! Groups > Historic Photos

Notices

Old 09-10-2007, 10:32 AM   #1
sbl_admin
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post Comments on: tornado of '78

Reader comments and feedback for the tornado of '78 photo.
This image is part of the Historic Photos photo gallery

sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:33 AM   #2
dillabrew

Rep Power: 0 dillabrew has a spectacular aura about dillabrew has a spectacular aura about
I remember this area when the tornado hit. Just drove back home from Georgia and couldn't believe the intersection of Airline and Texas.
dillabrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 05:45 PM   #3
vixweb
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 219 vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of
I was directly in the path of that monster! It was an F5, and a night I'll NEVER forget! The scene at Bossier General Hospital was incredible-
Since we're on this topic; I wonder if anyone on this board has the "picture book" of this Tornado? We had one when I was young, but no-one in the family knows what happened to it It was a small white book with 30 or so pages filled with pics of the storm. If anyone out there knows what I'm talking about, please let me know! I want the info(publisher,etc.) to see if I could get one-THANKS!(I already tried the library)
vixweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:03 PM   #4
salguodgrubmab
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 0 salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough
Those nights around here in winter when the air is heavy and still. When it is way too warm and balmy. Something is so not right. I was hanging on Emery St., which is basically I-20 and Hearne, that Sat. night. It was probably about 2:00a.m. Sunday morn when the oddity that was the weather brought me out to eyeball it. The strange color and the even stranger "feel". I dragged everyone out for a look but they weren't as caught up in it as I and went back inside. I stayed out there looking at the sky for about an hour or so knowing that something was amiss. It was at this time Bossier was plowed over and I didn't even know it. News trickled in Sunday and by Monday everyone knew the extent of the damage. It had turned cold and I got off work about 1:00 and drove over to check it out. I still can't describe it to this day.
salguodgrubmab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:27 PM   #5
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
I had just moved from New Jersey to south Bossier City about a year before this happened. I remember the weird looking weather. My brother who had been out driving around at some point, described the sky as being GREEN.

LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:16 PM   #6
salguodgrubmab
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 0 salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough
that little book is out of print but there is a copy of it at the main library. you could copy it for bout 3 bucks.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:24 AM   #7
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by salguodgrubmab View Post
that little book is out of print but there is a copy of it at the main library. you could copy it for bout 3 bucks.
Sal, do you know if the library will let you bring in a laptop and scanner and scan stuff? (to post here) Or is that against the rules?
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:20 PM   #8
salguodgrubmab
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz View Post
Sal, do you know if the library will let you bring in a laptop and scanner and scan stuff? (to post here) Or is that against the rules?
Doubt it. You can call an ask though.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:14 PM   #9
vixweb
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 219 vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of
Is that the Shreveport main library or Bossier? ThankYou There is an aerial photo of MY house-what was left of it. We had 8 cars in our house and yard! Moments before "impact", I looked out the window and the sky WAS green! At the age of 7, I quickly imagined The Wizard of Oz Our neighbors were so convinced that we did'nt survive, they were scared to approach the wreckage. Of course One man finally did, and we were all pretty much ok. The 2 girls that died lived about 1/2 mile away and were my age- Very sad. Thanks again for the help with the book
vixweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:39 PM   #10
salguodgrubmab
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixweb View Post
Is that the Shreveport main library or Bossier? ThankYou There is an aerial photo of MY house-what was left of it. We had 8 cars in our house and yard! Moments before "impact", I looked out the window and the sky WAS green! At the age of 7, I quickly imagined The Wizard of Oz Our neighbors were so convinced that we did'nt survive, they were scared to approach the wreckage. Of course One man finally did, and we were all pretty much ok. The 2 girls that died lived about 1/2 mile away and were my age- Very sad. Thanks again for the help with the book
Shreve. I would imagine Bossier also. I've only been in there once so I'm not certain.