Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > World News

Notices

Old 06-27-2007, 05:39 PM   #16
howela
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 219 howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold
Years ago at what was then a Brookshire Food store on 84th street at Linwood, not a neighborhood that you would think had the best parental status, I saw a father march his young son into the store and wacked his behind every time he stopped. He forced the crying child up to the office and told him sternly, " Tell him what you did."
Through sobs the child cried... I..I... stole...stole... a toy.
The father produced the toy and told the manager he had found it hidden in his bed and the manager could call the police and take him to jail or whatever he felt was best. (When dad said the word "jail" the tyke balled out loud.)
The store manager said, almost asking dad, how about if you pay for it and have him work it off for you.
The father agreed, completed the transaction, and whipped the small child out of the store.

It had such an impression on me because of the rough neighborhood that the dad cared so much for his son to teach him this lesson.
I'll bet that kid is a responsible young man today.
howela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 05:54 PM   #17
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by howela
Years ago at what was then a Brookshire Food store on 84th street at Linwood, not a neighborhood that you would think had the best parental status, I saw a father march his young son into the store and wacked his behind every time he stopped. He forced the crying child up to the office and told him sternly, " Tell him what you did."
Through sobs the child cried... I..I... stole...stole... a toy.
The father produced the toy and told the manager he had found it hidden in his bed and the manager could call the police and take him to jail or whatever he felt was best. (When dad said the word "jail" the tyke balled out loud.)
The store manager said, almost asking dad, how about if you pay for it and have him work it off for you.
The father agreed, completed the transaction, and whipped the small child out of the store.

It had such an impression on me because of the rough neighborhood that the dad cared so much for his son to teach him this lesson.
I'll bet that kid is a responsible young man today.
That was a very nice story and I an sure that child learned a lasting lesson from it.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:10 PM   #18
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Isaac, I agree with absolutely everything you said. If the discipline and expectations of behavior have not been instilled in the child by the teenage years, then there is not much discipline that is going to be effective say by 16 years of age. What you do get if you haven't done your job as a parent is a boy that doesn't follow any rules and thinks he is above them!
Old 06-28-2007, 07:42 PM   #19
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
You know I train Border Collies and like kids once you light them up one good time they know you can do it anytime and the bluff is in for a very long time.
With dogs it is for life with kids well until they get big enough to kick daddy's butt. Then you must teach them the golden rule. "The man with the gold rules" and you go from corporal punishment to mind games and they are still new at it. Just take cars, cell phones and I have three girls and every now and then a good old George Patton talk right in their pretty little faces. I must say I did not have to spank more than a dozen times with all three girls.
There was a time I had a issue with one my dogs stealing some meat off the grille and the girls got to see daddy kick some dog ass. They were all crying and mama too. Dog still does not like it when I light the pit and he is ten years old and at the time just a year old. Now granted he is a Border Collie and not a mutt. Made a deep impression on my girls Still the most talked about story at our house.
Now I get the feeling that none of your household goes anywhere near the grill! Does that mean you have to do all the barbecuing yourself? I'd be careful what you are teaching it could back fire!
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote