Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-22-2007, 09:21 PM   #1
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Tragedy at home tonight...

Since most of us are pet lovers and most have children I think you'll all relate to my story.

Little boy Belle, the 12 y /o, has a pet rabbit Inky. Inky has spent the last two years living in a luxury cage we had our carpenter's build for him. This afternoon I was outside watering flowers and noticed Inky outside his cage on the ground. Quick reminder...we have seven dogs. These dogs were all outside with me. I immediately began calling all of them to take them inside but not before Christian, the smallest Yorkie, noticed the rabbit! The chase was on! Christian, Chanel, and Max (all Yorkies) chasing Inky. I was screaming for my older son to come help in hopes we could catch Inky before the bigger dogs discovered what was going on. Well, the rabbit just fell out in the pasture. The Yorkies just stood and sniffed her, not quite sure what to do with her now that they had her down. I picked her up and could not find anything wrong with her. She was just breathing hard and scared. I put her back in her cage and she hopped off to her favorite corner.

I took the dogs in and went back many minutes later. Inky was laid out in the cage seemingly in shock. We brought her inside to cool her off and check her out a little further. She just laid in my arms and didn't seem to be physically hurt on the outside but just shocky. We tried giving her water, etc but Inky passed away tonight.

Little Belle has experienced the first loss of a pet and is quite upset. He has requested a morning burial with a cross over the grave. He held her for a long time after her passing telling her how sorry he was and how much he loved her. It's really sad to watch your child endure the loss of their pet. I just thought I'd share knowing how close most of us on the board are to our pets.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:28 PM   #2
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
Tell little Belle we are all thinking of him and inky. Also tell him to put a flower on inky for me. I will be thinking of him.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:32 PM   #3
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
I'm so sorry! That is a tough time experiencing that first serious loss of a pet!
So you don't really know what caused the bunny to die?

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:47 PM   #4
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Daddy Belle thinks he died of shock. We couldn't find anything wrong with her. Interesting, we always thought he was a she until tonight when we were looking him over for injuries, we discovered he was actually a GIRL! That part of the whole dramatic night has kept him laughing between the tears.

He just got a fish and a shrimp in his new aquarium last night. There names are Nemo and Gumbeaux! Little Belle said he's going to be sure and keep a sharp eye on them.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:48 PM   #5
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemaker720 View Post
Tell little Belle we are all thinking of him and inky. Also tell him to put a flower on inky for me. I will be thinking of him.
Thank you Pie. I will tell him and be sure we put out an extra flower from you tomorrow.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:53 PM   #6
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 246 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
My condolences. Do we know how the bunny got out of the cage?
Old 08-22-2007, 10:00 PM   #7
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swearengen View Post
My condolences. Do we know how the bunny got out of the cage?
There are two scenarios on how bunny got out. #1 Little Boy may not have latched the cage back when he fed her yesterday or #2 Our horses got out last night and I noticed horse prints all around the cage. They ate all the feed off the ground that Inky knocked out. Our horse Bandit knows how to open any latch, gate, door, etc that is not chained shut. He may have unlatched it trying to get to the rest of the food.

We have decided....no more caged animals. It's just not right to keep them in a little confined space.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:26 PM   #8
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Rabbits go into shock rather easily as I recall. When Ms Hertz was little, a cat scratched her rabbit and they took it to the vet. The scratch was small and not life threatening, but the rabbit went into shock anyway.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:31 AM   #9
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

I googled it and discovered rabbits will go into shock easily. I think it really is the cause of death for Inky.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:29 PM   #10
Isabella
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 235 Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of
So sorry to hear about Inky. It is sad when your child loses a pet.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:31 AM   #11
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Thank you Isabella. He was doing much better yesterday morning. Today will be even better. Last night he even said, "Well at least now I never have to hear again , Did you feed your rabbit today?"
Old 08-24-2007, 09:41 AM   #12
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 316 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbelle View Post
Thank you Isabella. He was doing much better yesterday morning. Today will be even better. Last night he even said, "Well at least now I never have to hear again , Did you feed your rabbit today?"
The rabbit done died That is not always good news If the rabbit died then someone spilled the ink ...........
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:43 AM   #13
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute

Need I say more??????

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:11 AM   #14
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 316 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocahontas View Post

Need I say more??????
Yes quite right Pocahontas ! Good shot ! Be very, very quiet ................
Name:  Elmer_Fudd_A_Wild_Hare.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  34.2 KB
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:42 AM   #15
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

It was no laughing matter, BUT at least it was the right rabbit that died!!!! Or poor Mr. Belle would have fallen over from a heart attack if I had said "Guess what"