Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Recreation

Notices

Old 10-28-2007, 12:38 AM   #1
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 222 purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold
Bird Migration

Any bird enthuesiests out there? I feel like I'm pissing in the wind with this thread but! The recent fronts coming through have stirred up a migration. We have lots of stuff that will not stay here but are passing through. particularly gulls and peregrin falcons, several other species that just go straight to South America. The gulls will stay. White Pelicans are already here. No they are not Geese! Ducks are just now moving through. Usually way up high. Cormorants are moving back in BAHH! If you feed birds, the White Throated sparrows are here, that tells me fall/winter is here. You will start to notice a lot more Hawks on the power lines and trees now. This is a wonderfull time when the seasons change. Anyway, I hope y'all will take notice.
purpahurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:17 AM   #2
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 316 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpahurl View Post
Any bird enthusiasts out there? I feel like I'm pissing in the wind with this thread but! The recent fronts coming through have stirred up a migration. We have lots of stuff that will not stay here but are passing through. particularly gulls and peregrine falcons, several other species that just go straight to South America. The gulls will stay. White Pelicans are already here. No they are not Geese! Ducks are just now moving through. Usually way up high. Cormorants are moving back in BAHH! If you feed birds, the White Throated sparrows are here, that tells me fall/winter is here. You will start to notice a lot more Hawks on the power lines and trees now. This is a wonderful time when the seasons change. Anyway, I hope y'all will take notice.
While sitting in my deer stand yesterday I had quite a few squirrels running around and a out of nowhere a red tail hawk almost caught one and then he landed in a tree right next to me. One look at me and off he went I have a Coopers Hawk that catches sparrows around my garden. I like the Junco's that come to my house. It is a very nice past time. Where is Miss Jane when you need her ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	BeverlyHillbillies.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	1702

You know Elly May could talk to them critters. I wonder if she ever found her a man ?

Name:	watch_them_buttons.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	1703

Cooper Hawk

Name:	coopers.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	1704
Dark Eyed Junco

Name:	junco.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	1705
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Last edited by Isaac-Saxxon; 10-28-2007 at 09:25 AM.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:14 AM   #3
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
We threw birdseed out in our backyard for a couple of seasons and boy did the sparrows flock to our backyard. We also attracted quails, cardinals, grackels, mockingbirds, doves and some kind of red headed bird. Unfortunately we had to put a stop to this because it also attracted mice!

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:33 PM   #4
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 222 purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold
On the river today two mature Bald Eagles were flying around like you might see on TV flapping and twisting, soaring, very cool! The gulls are starting to move through.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:39 PM   #5
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon View Post
While sitting in my deer stand yesterday I had quite a few squirrels running around and a out of nowhere a red tail hawk almost caught one and then he landed in a tree right next to me. One look at me and off he went I have a Coopers Hawk that catches sparrows around my garden. I like the Junco's that come to my house. It is a very nice past time. Where is Miss Jane when you need her ?

Attachment 1702

You know Elly May could talk to them critters. I wonder if she ever found her a man ?
Attachment 1703

Cooper Hawk
Attachment 1704
Dark Eyed Junco
Attachment 1705

The Juncos will be here soon, also one of my favorite. White Throat Sparrows and Song Sparrows are here along with some Flycatchers. I posted earlier about Hawks. We've had a fallout, there everywhere.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:38 PM   #6
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
I love this thread!!! Living out in the country I have lots of birds. Don't know the names of lots of them that stop by but boy do we get so many.

Here's my cool bird story though... every day when we drive into town there is a hawk we see. He is always in the Pines Rd /3132 Interchange area sitting on the top of a light pole. He or it could be a she is there every day. It's our fun thing to look for him. We' ve even seen him pluck up a little grass snake as they were cutting grass! I need to take out my camera one day and snap his picture. He actually amuses me sitting there on a light pole watching the interestate!
Old 10-28-2007, 07:48 PM   #7
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
I used to live on Cross Lake 15+ years ago. I lived there for 11 years and there was a Bald Eagle nest right out of our window. For years Mrs Hertz and I would see the eagles return over and over. Quite a sight...

Now we live in South Shreveport and there is a hawk that lives across the street. The Pug is very scared of the hawk. I'm sure the Pug weights more, but they are about the same size.. Enough to make her uncomfortable when she senses the hawk circling above..
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:10 PM   #8
purpahurl
Advanced Member

I have kept a life list(that is something birders do for all the species they have seen) since I was twelve. Cross Lake back in the day was one of the few places you could go and count Bald Eagles. Squirrel Point was where they were. I'm not an environmentalists by any means, but when they developed this site, the Eagles left. Now, fortunately, they are always up and down the river. They seem to fly between Wallace lake and the river with regularity. Also White Pelicans were a rarity here until the river project. Sometimes on Cross Lake and one on Bistineau when I was in college. Now they are residents in the winter.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:58 PM   #9
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Humming birds

I still am getting an occasional humming bird. Usually one or two a week, during or after a front. It is pretty cool. All my humming bird plants are in full bloom, it's like a spring garden. It's amazing how the plants are available for the birds when the birds need them.

Not much feeding but Cardinals and Whitethroated Sparrows.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:16 PM   #10
purpahurl
Advanced Member

I still have a humming bird. It is a Black-Chinned very rare for here. My cousin is a humming bird freak, he travels everywhere to study and band them. I ask him recently what his humming bird situation was and he got pissed off. Well, when I said I still had one He exploded. "I've been all over La. trying to band a Black-Chinned and you've got one, @#$%$$, "

By the way, the duck hunting is awesome. If your in the right spot. Canvasbacks, Red Heads, Mallards, Gadwall, etc... We jumped 3500 in front of our blind Sat. afternoon. Lots of geese too.

This is not in south La. either. Not telling where!
Old 11-28-2007, 07:19 AM   #11
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 316 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpahurl View Post
I still have a humming bird. It is a Black-Chinned very rare for here. My cousin is a humming bird freak, he travels everywhere to study and band them. I ask him recently what his humming bird situation was and he got pissed off. Well, when I said I still had one He exploded. "I've been all over La. trying to band a Black-Chinned and you've got one, @#$%$$, "

By the way, the duck hunting is awesome. If your in the right spot. Canvasbacks, Red Heads, Mallards, Gadwall, etc... We jumped 3500 in front of our blind Sat. afternoon. Lots of geese too.

This is not in south La. either. Not telling where!
Oh come on purpa tells us where you are hunting. Is it in LA ? Have you been using chopped corn I hear it works good ?
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:12 PM   #12
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon View Post
Oh come on purpa tells us where you are hunting. Is it in LA ? Have you been using chopped corn I hear it works good ?
In North La. No corn just Duck Tape.