Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Recreation

Notices

Old 11-09-2007, 08:44 AM   #16
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 222 purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold
Yes it does!!!!

They ain't nothin around here. A few Gadwall and some Teal and lots off Cormorants.
purpahurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:58 AM   #17
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 316 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Here is a link to the drought map :
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/product...l_drought.html
I have talk to some folks that plan to travel to find ducks for opening day. I do not duck hunt but the guys that do will go through a lot to get to the birds.
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:21 AM   #18
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 222 purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold
Lack of water is going to be a big factor. That is not the problem now. We need major cold fronts soon. We have water where I'm hunting just no ducks.

Some of my friends are going to the coast. Good luck.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:41 PM   #19
Tom Pace
Editor

Rep Power: 0 Tom Pace has a spectacular aura about Tom Pace has a spectacular aura about Tom Pace has a spectacular aura about
Lack of water can be a good thing if you are the one with plenty of water (fewer places for ducks to set down) But we do need some cold fronts. Hunting ducks in short sleeves just doesn't feel right.
Tom Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 11:18 PM   #20
Morpheus
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of
Just returned. Went to Gueydan, LA and made a goose hunt. Opening day my group of four bagged our limit on specks, and one very unlucky teal. Sunday, we killed one lone speck that thought he was high enough, but we proved him wrong. Started to sprinkle when we left today, but too little too late. Luckily the geese didn't mind that we didn't have any water. I hope to go back when the rice fields fill up.
Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:17 PM   #21
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
Just returned. Went to Gueydan, LA and made a goose hunt. Opening day my group of four bagged our limit on specks, and one very unlucky teal. Sunday, we killed one lone speck that thought he was high enough, but we proved him wrong. Started to sprinkle when we left today, but too little too late. Luckily the geese didn't mind that we didn't have any water. I hope to go back when the rice fields fill up.
I haven't been hunting but a friend shot 6 ducks Opening Day and 7 ducks yesterday on Cross Lake. Not bad considering the lack of weather...
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:32 PM   #22
Morpheus
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz View Post
I haven't been hunting but a friend shot 6 ducks Opening Day and 7 ducks yesterday on Cross Lake. Not bad considering the lack of weather...
seven ducks huh?

The daily bag limit on ducks is six and may include no more than four mallards (no more than two of which may be females), one canvasback, one pintail, three mottled ducks, one black duck, two wood ducks, two scaup and two redheads. The daily bag limit on coots is 15. In addition to the daily bag limit for ducks, the daily bag limit for mergansers is five, only two of which may be a hooded merganser. The possession limit on ducks, coots and mergansers is twice the daily bag limit.
Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:15 PM   #23
purpahurl
Advanced Member

The ducks are heavy at the coast. These are ducks that migrate based on time. What we get here that tend to stay, at least untill we shoot them are migrating on weather or are being hunted out of their spots.

Just this week new ducks have arrived, but damn it's slow. We need a cold front, then you'll see a big migration, "flight day", a duck hunters dream. Any way if you want to go to South LA. the ducks are there.

So are the Redfish and Specks. Digesting a Redfish as I type.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:58 PM   #24
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Humming birds

I still am getting an occasional humming bird. Usually one or two a week, during or after a front. It is pretty cool. All my humming bird plants are in full bloom, it's like a spring garden. It's amazing how the plants are available for the birds when the birds need them.

Not much feeding but Cardinals and Whitethroated Sparrows.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:16 PM   #25
purpahurl
Advanced Member

I still have a humming bird. It is a Black-Chinned very rare for here. My cousin is a humming bird freak, he travels everywhere to study and band them. I ask him recently what his humming bird situation was and he got pissed off. Well, when I said I still had one He exploded. "I've been all over La. trying to band a Black-Chinned and you've got one, @#$%$$, "

By the way, the duck hunting is awesome. If your in the right spot. Canvasbacks, Red Heads, Mallards, Gadwall, etc... We jumped 3500 in front of our blind Sat. afternoon. Lots of geese too.

This is not in south La. either. Not telling where!
Old 11-28-2007, 07:19 AM   #26
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 316 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpahurl View Post
I still have a humming bird. It is a Black-Chinned very rare for here. My cousin is a humming bird freak, he travels everywhere to study and band them. I ask him recently what his humming bird situation was and he got pissed off. Well, when I said I still had one He exploded. "I've been all over La. trying to band a Black-Chinned and you've got one, @#$%$$, "

By the way, the duck hunting is awesome. If your in the right spot. Canvasbacks, Red Heads, Mallards, Gadwall, etc... We jumped 3500 in front of our blind Sat. afternoon. Lots of geese too.

This is not in south La. either. Not telling where!
Oh come on purpa tells us where you are hunting. Is it in LA ? Have you been using chopped corn I hear it works good ?
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:12 PM   #27
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon View Post
Oh come on purpa tells us where you are hunting. Is it in LA ? Have you been using chopped corn I hear it works good ?
In North La. No corn just Duck Tape.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:50 AM   #28
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
seven ducks huh?

The daily bag limit on ducks is six and may include no more than four mallards (no more than two of which may be females), one canvasback, one pintail, three mottled ducks, one black duck, two wood ducks, two scaup and two redheads. The daily bag limit on coots is 15. In addition to the daily bag limit for ducks, the daily bag limit for mergansers is five, only two of which may be a hooded merganser. The possession limit on ducks, coots and mergansers is twice the daily bag limit.
Sorry I missed this a while back. I should have said "friends" not "friend".. That was for the whole blind... (2 guys that day)

Update: They have been consistently doing well at Cross lake in the woods.. Dunno about the open lake...
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote