Go Back   Shreveport.com > SBLive! Groups > Historic Photos

Notices

Old 11-14-2007, 08:36 PM   #16
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Good point purpa, I would've never ever let my teenaged daughter and friends hang out in the Red River district!!! The LA Boardwalk has been a secure and great place for them to go to movies, eat and shop with friends plus they aren't subjected to saggy drawers!

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:09 PM   #17
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Pokey, I would never let my kids do the things that my parents never let me do, but I did those things anyway. You appear to be a great mom! I hope I fare as well as my children grow into adulthood.

Concerts at Municipal and Hirsh, arcades like Guys-and-Dolls and Hole-in-the-wall were pretty 'earthy' places back then...
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:16 PM   #18
j.nc
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 209 j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all
sounds like things have changed alot since back in the day. Any city has rough parts of town but Shreveport sounds frightening in some parts - from things garnered from various threads on this forum and listening to my Mom. So, what's the "Red River district"? Is it ol' Shreve Square?
j.nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:55 AM   #19
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.nc View Post
sounds like things have changed alot since back in the day. Any city has rough parts of town but Shreveport sounds frightening in some parts - from things garnered from various threads on this forum and listening to my Mom. So, what's the "Red River district"? Is it ol' Shreve Square?
Uh... yeah, the Red River District is in the 'area' of the old Shreve Square.. but excuse me senator, the Red River District is no Shreve Square

if you're gonna go down town, best be packin', you're gonna get shot
LOL I sure do miss the Shreve Square.. of course I was much younger then.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	humpfrees.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	1818  

LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:04 AM   #20
salguodgrubmab
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 0 salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough
the place was magic. great photo. DIXIE DREGS at sportspage! hanging over the balcony railing looking down on the band. It was there, from that view that the realization that drummers are magicians. Two hands and two feet all doing different things in rhythm. Try patting your head and rubbing your belly. Got it , now reverse the motion, O.K. took a while but you got it. Now without losing time meter and the beat change to rubbing your head and patting your belly. Pretty hard huh. Now imagine doing that while both legs are doing opposing movements. That is jazz drumming. I think it was 1978 a live music club opened on Linwood where the inner-loop now intersects. The River City Music Hall. The old A&P store was converted into a huge venue. It was great, with some great shows but only lasted 'bout six months. If they would've opened it in the Square it would've been quite successful I believe. There was also a pretty cool joint in Motown for those in the other camp, the disco crowd. I can't remember the name of it after all these years. An entertainer name of E.C. perhaps. Great band. A friend of mine played guitar for him. They would do songs of that era Easy, Brickhouse. What was that band I keep thinking K.C. but I know it wasn't. Everyone derided Donny for selling out but of all my musician pals he was the only one who had coins in his jeans and green in his billfold. I was a stranger in a strange land in there man. There were chicks in there unlike Humps and the other clubs that had good live music at the square. Hey dude that fine chicks over there keeps eyeballing you, go ask her to dance. I..I don't..I say, I don't know how to dance. Man I'm telling you that you could score if you'd only get up off your dead ass and dance with her. Non disco dancers such as myself seldom "scored."
salguodgrubmab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:09 AM   #21
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by salguodgrubmab View Post
the place was magic. great photo. DIXIE DREGS at sportspage! hanging over the balcony railing looking down on the band. It was there, from that view that the realization that drummers are magicians. Two hands and two feet all doing different things in rhythm. Try patting your head and rubbing your belly. Got it , now reverse the motion, O.K. took a while but you got it. Now without losing time meter and the beat change to rubbing your head and patting your belly. Pretty hard huh. Now imagine doing that while both legs are doing opposing movements. That is jazz drumming. I think it was 1978 a live music club opened on Linwood where the inner-loop now intersects. The River City Music Hall. The old A&P store was converted into a huge venue. It was great, with some great shows but only lasted 'bout six months. If they would've opened it in the Square it would've been quite successful I believe. There was also a pretty cool joint in Motown for those in the other camp, the disco crowd. I can't remember the name of it after all these years. An entertainer name of E.C. perhaps. Great band. A friend of mine played guitar for him. They would do songs of that era Easy, Brickhouse. What was that band I keep thinking K.C. but I know it wasn't. Everyone derided Donny for selling out but of all my musician pals he was the only one who had coins in his jeans and green in his billfold. I was a stranger in a strange land in there man. There were chicks in there unlike Humps and the other clubs that had good live music at the square. Hey dude that fine chicks over there keeps eyeballing you, go ask her to dance. I..I don't..I say, I don't know how to dance. Man I'm telling you that you could score if you'd only get up off your dead ass and dance with her. Non disco dancers such as myself seldom "scored."
DIXIE DREGS at sportspage! Yes I have been to that fire I was at LA Tech and we would come over to the sportspage for music, darts and pool games and a few fights good post Salbug !
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:02 PM   #22
Morpheus
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of
My first concert was at the hirsch also. ZZ Top. Pink Floyd, Journey, Ozzy, Van Halen and many others followed. Certainly a huge difference from the smoke free Century Tel. I remember humphrees. It was one of only a few places I could get into as a mere 16 year old!
Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:32 AM   #23
vixweb
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 219 vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of
My first concert was in the Hirsch- OZZY I think Feb. 1982....We were some of the last people that got to see Randy Roads play. My brother told my mom he was taking me to the skating rink, but instead took me to my first show @ the ripe old age of 11 !
vixweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 05:07 PM   #24
Morpheus
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by vixweb View Post
My first concert was in the Hirsch- OZZY I think Feb. 1982....We were some of the last people that got to see Randy Roads play. My brother told my mom he was taking me to the skating rink, but instead took me to my first show @ the ripe old age of 11 !
Hey, that makes us the same age!
Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 05:23 PM   #25
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
This might be just a bit to groovy but I like them then and now. This is the only youtube I could find I bet Pokie will like the photo show I went to this concert in high school at the Coppertop.
Kansas: Cheyenne Anthem

I wonder if old KansasT likes Kansas

At this concert I lost my innocences big time Summer of 78

Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Last edited by Isaac-Saxxon; 11-17-2007 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:18 PM   #26
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon View Post
At this concert I lost my innocences big time Summer of 78
I'm a big Kansas fan. I've seen them 2 times in Shreveport and once in Anaheim at a private show. At one show in Shreveport, I remember that Steve Walsh had some fingers taped up. I guess he hurt his hand, but he just moved his remaining fingers that much faster and never missed a note on keyboards! Awesome show.

Phil Ehart, Kerry Livgren, Robby Steinhardt, Steve Walsh, and Rich Williams are icons in my book. Bands like Kansas and Yes have positive messages and were a positive influence on my life when some bands often have a negative message or just lyricize about chicks and partying...
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 07:28 PM   #27
vixweb
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 219 vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of
I never saw Kansas, but I did see Boston a few years ago, finally, and it was pretty cool. I always wondered how they got that guitar sound, now I know its because they have, what 3 or 4 guitarists?? They also had a Giant pipe organ that took up the whole back of the stage- It sounded awesome!
vixweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 08:02 PM   #28
kansast
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 kansast has a spectacular aura about kansast has a spectacular aura about kansast has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon View Post

LOL, as I've had to explain in many a message board over the years.. I'm no fan of the band Kansas, nor have I ever stepped foot in the state of Kansas.

Not that the band doesn't have some good songs.. and if I remember correctly, I did see the band once at the Copper Top back in the day. Although I do go to plenty of shows, that I WANT to see, back in the day, there were countless concerts I went to, where the music wasn't the driving force that made me go. It was the experience of taking those road trips with friends, and nights out on the town. (Texas Jam concerts for example) when I was all of 16 etc.

Kansast = Kansas Territory = my Great Grandfather on my father's side. (yes, his first and middle name.. strange)
He was born in Illinois I believe towards the end of the Civil war. Illinois sided with the Union in the Civil War, but my grandfather had a few older brothers who fought in the war, sided with the Confederates in Kentucky.

Now you know the rest of the story. I got pretty wasted at the Kansas concert if I remember correctly.

oh yeah.. and my first real "concert" was the Allman Brothers Band at the ol' Copper Top. Think I was 13 or 14..
kansast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 08:10 PM   #29
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by vixweb View Post
I never saw Kansas, but I did see Boston a few years ago, finally, and it was pretty cool. I always wondered how they got that guitar sound, now I know its because they have, what 3 or 4 guitarists?? They also had a Giant pipe organ that took up the whole back of the stage- It sounded awesome!
Would that have been at the Texas Jam concert.. at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, TX ?

I saw that show.. got to see Boston. Went to several of those Texas Jam concerts, saw all sorts of good music.. Deep Purple, Van Halen, Scorpions, and plenty of those heavy metal bands of the 80's that came and went. white snake, great white, Rat, etc.. At that partcular show where Boston headlined, we also saw
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 08:19 PM   #30
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight View Post
Would that have been at the Texas Jam concert.. at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, TX ?

I saw that show.. got to see Boston. Went to several of those Texas Jam concerts, saw all sorts of good music.. Deep Purple, Van Halen, Scorpions, and plenty of those heavy metal bands of the 80's that came and went. white snake, great white, Rat, etc.. At that partcular show where Boston headlined, we also saw
That would be a great line up to see. Boston being the best. Hey Tbelle have you ever seen any of these bands ??????????????