Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > Local News

Notices

Old 08-16-2006, 09:05 AM   #1
sbl_admin
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post 17 Accused of Staging Wrecks

Louisiana State Police and Federal authorities conduct roundup in Ringgold, La.
KTBS
sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 10:08 AM   #2
trkshot8

Rep Power: 0 trkshot8 will become famous soon enough trkshot8 will become famous soon enough
Insurance Fraud

I'm not trying to start a race war by any means, but I have a question here that may be appropriate for the topic.

If I'm an 18 year old male driver, isn't my insurance higher than a 30 year old male driver?
If I'm an 18 year old male driver, isn't my insurance higher than an 18 year old female driver?

The point I am trying to make is that insurance companies have underwriters who assess exposure(risk) through statistics.
Why is it legal to assess risk by means of age and gender statistics but not racial statistics?

I am not saying one race drives worse or cost the insurance companies more money. I don't have the statistics to back that claim. But if that is the case, shouldn't a high degree of seperation in exposure along racial lines be reflected in the premium?
trkshot8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 10:18 AM   #3
scarlett
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 233 scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to scarlett Send a message via AIM to scarlett Send a message via Yahoo to scarlett
Quote:
Originally Posted by trkshot8
I'm not trying to start a race war by any means, but I have a question here that may be appropriate for the topic.

If I'm an 18 year old male driver, isn't my insurance higher than a 30 year old male driver?
If I'm an 18 year old male driver, isn't my insurance higher than an 18 year old female driver?

The point I am trying to make is that insurance companies have underwriters who assess exposure(risk) through statistics.
Why is it legal to assess risk by means of age and gender statistics but not racial statistics?

I am not saying one race drives worse or cost the insurance companies more money. I don't have the statistics to back that claim. But if that is the case, shouldn't a high degree of seperation in exposure along racial lines be reflected in the premium?
I heard not long ago they are accessing girls at 18 like boys at 18. I personally can't say how true that is but I see your point.

TO me boys will be boys (fast cars, show off, etc) they don't grow out of it that fast. Girls (show off) but not with racing cars. Insurance will be higher for boys.

Insurance is a scam no matter how you slice it. They just increase it for how much they want to make you pay and what can you do?
scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:33 PM   #4
trkshot8

Rep Power: 0 trkshot8 will become famous soon enough trkshot8 will become famous soon enough
Insurance

And don't get me wrong. If stats say male 18 year olds are a larger risk than 18 year old females then the males should pay more premium.

This kinda starts to stem over into profiling and stereotyping. But to me, numbers don't lie and so I will live and die by them.

If I have many characteristics of Timothy McVeigh, I think I should be profiled for the safety of the public. Now, of course, I don't. I'm just off on a tangent about this lately.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:20 PM   #5
scarlett
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 233 scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to scarlett Send a message via AIM to scarlett Send a message via Yahoo to scarlett
Quote:
And don't get me wrong. If stats say male 18 year olds are a larger risk than 18 year old females then the males should pay more premium.

This kinda starts to stem over into profiling and stereotyping. But to me, numbers don't lie and so I will live and die by them.

If I have many characteristics of Timothy McVeigh, I think I should be profiled for the safety of the public. Now, of course, I don't. I'm just off on a tangent about this lately.
I totally understand read this article to see what has me rouled up if I even spelled that correctly.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770
Old 09-15-2006, 02:38 PM   #6
trkshot8

Uh-Oh

He claims the 'glass ceiling' phenomenon is probably due to inferior intelligence, rather than discrimination or lack of opportunity.

He's not gonna live much longer making statements like that. If the study was done within a certain region, it's probably accurate. But that doesn't take into account any of the other skills needed to deal with life. Were the subjects tested on aptitude during a severly stressful situation, what about tact or emotional understanding? And who's to say another region in the world wouldn't find reverse results?

In my mind, I wouldn't worry about who can perform better on a piece of paper, but who has the ability to recognize situations and is more prepared to deal with them effectively.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:45 PM   #7
scarlett
Advanced Member

Quote:
that doesn't take into account any of the other skills needed to deal with life. Were the subjects tested on aptitude during a severly stressful situation, what about tact or emotional understanding? And who's to say another region in the world wouldn't find reverse results?

In my mind, I wouldn't worry about who can perform better on a piece of paper, but who has the ability to recognize situations and is more prepared to deal with them effectively.
I have to agree with this....... what I felt about it was the test should have been given to more than just 17/18 yr olds. Give the test to a variety of age groups 20/30/40 etc. I know what I thought and how I acted at the age of 18 is nothing how I am now. I was nuts and a firecracker back in the day making the worse choices as most of us have probably did the same. I also don't konw what type of test that was given but believe me my ex is dumber than a doorknob and my present sig other is smarter than life itself.

I won't let it get to me I don't know this guy and don't agree or believe his test results
Old 09-18-2006, 07:30 PM   #8
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 246 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
Oh the chutzpa..the hubris of these people! People never cease to amaze me. Such creativity! Yes, as Scarlet put it, insurance is a scam no matter how ya slice it. Its a state-sanctioned scam. When someone socks it to the insurance companies ya just wanna jump to your feet and shout "huzzah"! But thats the beauty of this scam...when THEY take a hit, so do YOU. They simply pass the extra cost on to the customers (hostages). But as we're now seeing in that toilet called New Orleans, the insurance companies happily took everyone's money for decades, but when the time comes for them to pay up, they welsh, they shirk...the cheeky four-flushin ratbastards! I'm convinced that theres a special place in hell for people who work in the insurance industry, just like theres a special place in hell for telemarketers and debt collectors.
Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 07:57 PM   #9
scarlett
Advanced Member

Telemarketers!!! now that's another topic I can go on and on about those I hate them with a passion and the debt collectors gotta love those. Its when you move, get a new number and they call your house leaving some message saying this is not a sales call to call this number right away this is not a joke. I had one that kept calling for 3-4 months when I moved and I finally called them (they always called on saturdays, smart bastards) basicallly whomever had this number before I got it, owed debt somewhere and they finally stopped calling after I gave them all but my blood for proof I wasn't who they kept calling for.

I had one 2 yrs ago this one was an attorney in new orleans and I finally tracked down who they were calling for they would never tell me who just for me to call them I ran my 2nd number I had on my phone line and it was someone in bossier city who had the number years before me. He was in deep trouble for sure whomever he was I can't recall the name.