Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-17-2007, 10:59 PM   #1
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
On this day in April 18, 1775

1775 : Revere and Dawes warn of British attack

Quote:
On this day in 1775, British troops march out of Boston on a mission to confiscate the American arsenal at Concord and to capture Patriot leaders Samuel Adams and John Hancock, known to be hiding at Lexington. As the British departed, Boston Patriots Paul Revere and William Dawes set out on horseback from the city to warn Adams and Hancock and rouse the Minutemen.
By 1775, tensions between the American colonies and the British government had approached the breaking point, especially in Massachusetts, where Patriot leaders formed a shadow revolutionary government and trained militias to prepare for armed conflict with the British troops occupying Boston. In the spring of 1775, General Thomas Gage, the British governor of Massachusetts, received instructions from Great Britain to seize all stores of weapons and gunpowder accessible to the American insurgents. On April 18, he ordered British troops to march against Concord and Lexington.
The Boston Patriots had been preparing for such a British military action for some time, and, upon learning of the British plan, Revere and Dawes set off across the Massachusetts countryside.... read more
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	082revere.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	325  

Name:	massacre.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	327  

Name:	paul-revere.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	328  

Last edited by LateNight; 04-18-2007 at 10:41 AM.
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:04 PM   #2
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
I see where Tom Hanks and his production company (same company that did "Band Of Brothers" for HBO) has a new show coming out on HBO called "John Adams"

I'm looking forward to it.. this part of our countries history has always held a lot of interest for me. I just don't know if this is going to take place before the revolution, during the revolution, or later on at the time of his Presidency.

I spent some time tracing the family tree, and we've traced back far enough on my father's side, to some Great great great etc... grandfather of mine, who was living in Boston during the middle 1770's
Old 04-17-2007, 11:29 PM   #3
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 246 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
If what I THINK is about to happen, HAPPENS, we'll ALL get the chance to be patriots, and make history. Ready yourselves, my friends, for I fear the time grows near!
Old 04-18-2007, 05:36 AM   #4
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swearengen
If what I THINK is about to happen, HAPPENS, we'll ALL get the chance to be patriots, and make history. Ready yourselves, my friends, for I fear the time grows near!

A Patriot is one who loves his or her country and supports its authority and interests.

Not someone who is not only willing to rebel against the laws of our country, but is also attempting to persuade public opinion....trying to recruit other potential anarchists "just in case".

Seems some of you have a nasty habit of butchering the English language on a regular basis, huh? Now why would THAT cause me to question your intelligence?
BrainSmashR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:51 AM   #5
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
patriot |ˈpātrēət|
noun
a person who vigorously supports their country and is prepared to defend it against enemies or detractors.
Doesn't say anything about the "authority".

I would also argue that "enemies or detractors" can easily be enemies or detractors from within or own country or authority.

I will say, I'm not quite as enthusiastic as Al is about the 'upcoming rebellion or revolution'. It's not that I don't agree with WHY he thinks this, 'cause I do. I just like to think there's still a chance to do something WITHIN the system.

Only time will tell however.

Would also add, that our own Patriots, of our own Revolution, were most certainly Bucking the Authority, when they declared their Independence. And if they had been caught, would have most certainly been tried for Treason, and hung.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:23 AM   #6
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
This country is too rich to have a rebellion.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:29 AM   #7
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
I do not think there will be a rebellion.

I do think the the DNC is trying to cause US as much pain as they can but I would not call that a rebellion. I do think the voters can rebel at election time with their vote. That does not count Anime he can not vote
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:56 PM   #8
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight
Doesn't say anything about the "authority".

I would also argue that "enemies or detractors" can easily be enemies or detractors from within or own country or authority.
Different dictionary, minor variation in the definition. General meaning still the same.

A patriot is someone who supports their country/government, not someone who prepares to go to war with his/her country over the laws passed by their democratically elected officials.
Quote:
I will say, I'm not quite as enthusiastic as Al is about the 'upcoming rebellion or revolution'. It's not that I don't agree with WHY he thinks this, 'cause I do. I just like to think there's still a chance to do something WITHIN the system.

Only time will tell however.
Interesting that you would use the term rebellion....how can you be a patriot AND rebel against your country?

While I agree with the sentiment, you'll notice that as before, my argument is still with his choice of words, not what he meant to say.

Quote:
Would also add, that our own Patriots, of our own Revolution, were most certainly Bucking the Authority, when they declared their Independence. And if they had been caught, would have most certainly been tried for Treason, and hung.
Obviously you misunderstood the meaning of the definition. OUR patriots were indeed fighting "the authority" England exercised over the American Colonies, but OUR patriots were fighting for their own country, America.....not against it, as Al has insinuated.

Last edited by BrainSmashR; 04-18-2007 at 03:59 PM. Reason: fix BBcode
Old 04-18-2007, 04:29 PM   #9
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainSmashR
Different dictionary, minor variation in the definition. General meaning still the same.

A patriot is someone who supports their country/government, not someone who prepares to go to war with his/her country over the laws passed by their democratically elected officials.

Interesting that you would use the term rebellion....how can you be a patriot AND rebel against your country?

While I agree with the sentiment, you'll notice that as before, my argument is still with his choice of words, not what he meant to say.

Obviously you misunderstood the meaning of the definition. OUR patriots were indeed fighting "the authority" England exercised over the American Colonies, but OUR patriots were fighting for their own country, America.....not against it, as Al has insinuated.
NO I didn't misunderstand anything. and I think I'll just agree to disagree with you. for I feel that someone can most definitely be a Patriot, he can most definitely love his country, but he doesn't have to believe in the "powers that be"
Old 04-18-2007, 05:04 PM   #10
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
What does a patriot do if he thinks the leaders of his government are not acting in his country's best interests? Is he loyal to his government or the people that run it?
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:30 PM   #11
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
What does a patriot do if he thinks the leaders of his government are not acting in his country's best interests? Is he loyal to his government or the people that run it?
Joe, not sure I understand this question ?

are you asking "how does one start a rebellion" or are you asking who do you be loyal to "The government" or the "people that run it" and does the "people that run it" mean the people in OFFICE or WE THE PEOPLE ?

Old 04-18-2007, 06:32 PM   #12
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 246 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
Quote:
A Patriot is one who loves his or her country and supports its authority and interests.

Not someone who is not only willing to rebel against the laws of our country, but is also attempting to persuade public opinion....trying to recruit other potential anarchists "just in case".

Seems some of you have a nasty habit of butchering the English language on a regular basis, huh? Now why would THAT cause me to question your intelligence?
If the freedom haters ever manage to repeal the Second Amendment, ALL of the other RIGHTS will follow in short order...don't kid yourself about that. At THAT point, it'll be THE END OF AMERICA AS WE KNOW IT. But you're right Brain, as I stated in another thread, anyone who refuses to accept THAT version of America will be "de facto criminals", or anarchists. As for "trying to recruit other potential anarchists", I don't think I'll have to try very hard. I'm convinced that MOST people share my sentiments. As to your statement that "some of you have a nasty habit of butchering the English language", if you mean me, I just try to write the way I speak, and I do this by choice. Now if that causes you to question MY intelligence, then you're a fool, and you're either all alone or you're in the overwhelming minority.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:57 PM   #13
BrainSmashR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight
NO I didn't misunderstand anything. and I think I'll just agree to disagree with you. for I feel that someone can most definitely be a Patriot, he can most definitely love his country, but he doesn't have to believe in the "powers that be"
You can believe anything you want, but the fact of the matter is that you cannot rebel against the government AND support it at the same time.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:05 PM   #14
BrainSmashR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
That depends upon the actions he takes.

If you work against the government, you are a rebel regardless of how well you think an elected official is performing in office.

Our founding fathers were English rebels, but they were also American patriots, understand?
Old 04-18-2007, 07:12 PM   #15
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
That depends upon the actions he takes.

If you work against the government, you are a rebel regardless of how well you think an elected official is performing in office.

Our founding fathers were English rebels, but they were also American patriots, understand?
Like I said, agree to disagree. I fully believe you can be a patriot and be going against the current powers that be... because you love "your country" "your way of life" but of course once you get down to it, it becomes a propaganda deal.. For me and my cohorts, we would be patriots.. but to the powers that be, we would be REBEL SCUM