Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > Local News

Notices

Old 08-28-2007, 07:46 AM   #1
sbl_admin
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post Drinking Age Laws - Do They Need To Change?

As college students usher in the start of a new term with beer pong and keg stands, the nation revisits what's now a fixture of collegiate life: drinking age laws.

sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:05 AM   #2
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
I think it's all about drinking responsibly. If you are going to drink at any age make sure you stay put or have a designated driver. Kids are drinking at 18 already. When I was in college the legal age was 18 and we were totally unresponsible! I sometimes wonder how I'm still here because yes I drank and drove more than once. But having a DD wasn't talked about much back then and now it's the norm. Be careful!

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:33 AM   #3
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
I was in college in that weird time (I believe the law was like this 1985-1995) when the drinking age was 21, but it was legal to sell to anyone over 18, so we were technically breaking the law but nobody cared.

Of course the drinking age should lowered, it's ridiculous to have "graduated" stages of adulthood. I'm not sure how 21 year old drinking laws are even Constitutional. I'm sure there's some lame "greater good" or "protection of the public interest" decisions somewhere back in time.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:02 AM   #4
LSU

Rep Power: 0 LSU is a jewel in the rough LSU is a jewel in the rough LSU is a jewel in the rough LSU is a jewel in the rough
Teenagers are going to get alcohol regardless of the drinking age. The only difference is being able to get into a bar. The drinking age might get the teenagers to "want what they can't have." I always thought the beer tasted better when i wasn't supposed to have it then after i turned 21!
LSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:06 AM   #5
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
yeah, the problem, is the 16 and 17 year olds, driving and drinking.. we should just raise the legal driving age
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:35 AM   #6
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
>the problem, is the 16 and 17 year olds, driving and drinking.

How does a law that has nothing to do with 16 or 17 year olds an answer to that "problem?"
Old 08-28-2007, 12:06 PM   #7
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole View Post
>the problem, is the 16 and 17 year olds, driving and drinking.

How does a law that has nothing to do with 16 or 17 year olds an answer to that "problem?"
well.. talking about raising drinking ages or lowering drinking ages from 18-21 or 21-18 I really don't think has much to do with anything.
I suppose someone out there will make the argument that 21 year olds are more 'responsible' than 18 year olds.. The idea, being to keep 18 year olds off the road, drinking and driving.

I'm just saying, that I think even more of a problem, is the kids who are old enough to drive, but aren't old enough to buy beer anywhere, are getting the beer/alcohol anyway, and getting behind the wheel.

Not to mention I know plenty of 16 year olds who have no business behind the wheel of a car, regardless if they are sober or not.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:28 PM   #8
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

>the kids who are old enough to drive, but aren't old enough to buy beer anywhere, are getting the beer/alcohol anyway, and getting behind the wheel.

But that has nothing to do with whether the drinking age is 18 or 21. And is teen drinking and driving really a problem? How many kids get killed doing that each year? Two?
Old 08-28-2007, 05:02 PM   #9
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 261 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole View Post
But that has nothing to do with whether the drinking age is 18 or 21. And is teen drinking and driving really a problem? How many kids get killed doing that each year? Two?
Quote:
Is alcohol a significant factor in teenagers' crashes? Yes. Young drivers are less likely than adults to drive after drinking alcohol, but their crash risk is substantially higher when they do. This is especially true at low and moderate blood alcohol concentrations (BACs) and is thought to result from teenagers' relative inexperience with drinking, with driving, and with combining the two.

In 2005, 25 percent of 16-20-year-old passenger vehicle drivers fatally injured in crashes had high BACs (0.08 percent or higher). The percentage of fatally injured drivers with high BACs was much lower among females (15 percent) than among males (29 percent), and also was lower among 16-17-year-old drivers (15 percent) than among 18-19-year-old (26 percent) or 20-year-old (36 percent) drivers.

Drivers ages 16-20 with BACs of 0.05-0.08 percent are far more likely than sober teenage drivers to be killed in single-vehicle crashes — 17 times more likely for males, 7 times more likely for females. At BACs of 0.08-0.10, fatality risks are even higher, 52 times for males, 15 times for females.
I'd say a LOT more than 2.

http://www.iihs.org/research/qanda/underage.html
Old 08-28-2007, 06:14 PM   #10
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 246 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
I say, if you're old enough to vote, and more importantly, DIE for your country, then you're sure as hell old enough to drink!
Old 08-28-2007, 07:59 PM   #11
howela
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 219 howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold
Age of accountability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swearengen View Post
I say, if you're old enough to vote, and more importantly, DIE for your country, then you're sure as hell old enough to drink!
I agree. I remember my early years in the military. I couldn't legally buy a beer in Georgia before I shipped out to Vietnam. Al is right... mature enough to die for your country is mature enough to decide how to drink.
Click image for larger version

Name:	army pics you dont see on the news2.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	1424
howela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:40 PM   #12
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swearengen View Post
Makes sense to me!

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:10 PM   #13
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by howela View Post
I agree. I remember my early years in the military. I couldn't legally buy a beer in Georgia before I shipped out to Vietnam. Al is right... mature enough to die for your country is mature enough to decide how to drink.
Attachment 1424

Hard to argue with that kind of logic.. old enough to be issued a weapon, old enough to fight and die for your country.. but uh.. sorry son, can't sell you a beer.. that's @#$#@$@
Old 08-28-2007, 09:34 PM   #14
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
You know I agree if you are old enough to defend your country you should be allowed to drink. On the other hand that should only apply to the military, why would I want some lazy young person who thinks they are too good to join or bad mouths our soldiers to benefit.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:40 AM   #15
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 261 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
I was in the military myself. Some commands have cool commanders who feel the same way as most of you. When they pull into a country where the drinking age is lower, they can authorize servicemen under 21 to drink if they want. In some countries, you're old enough to drink if you can see over the bar.