Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > World News

Notices

Old 04-10-2007, 07:31 AM   #1
sbl_admin
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post Should The Hospital Have The Right To Make This Choice?

Catarina Gonzales knows her baby is terminally ill and that one day she'll have to let go. But it's not yet time, she and her attorneys contend in their legal clash with hospital officials who say it's best to stop Emilio's life-sustaining treatment.

sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:05 AM   #2
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Need a little more on this story please. But for what it's worth, sometimes people just don't know when to let go. It's a hard place to be in especially when a child is involved. I certainly would not want to be in the place of the parent, but also would never ever allow my child to suffer. With most terminal diseases, there is always a certain amount of suffering on somebody's part that goes on. Either on the part of the patient if they can't be kept comfortable or the family watching them die.
Texasbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:01 AM   #3
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 261 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Indeed, but the question at hand is whether or not hospital officials have the right to pull the plug without the parents' consent. I don't believe they do. The parents have the option of exploring possible alternative treatment methods by other doctors, a point that may perhaps be in vain for this terminal illness. However, the point is that the parents decide when it is time to give up.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:35 AM   #4
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
I found the story on CNN. The child is an infant and has a very rare disease. The child can not move, can not breathe on his own, can not eat, etc. The child is apparently suffering in his current state and all they are doing at this point is prolonging the inevitable. There is no treatment for this disease and no alternative treatment. The child is brain dead apparently and has been declared such by a panel of physicians.

I am sure that most people are not aware but physicians don't take declaring anyone brain dead lightly and certainly not a child. There are many steps taken in the process of doing such. This hospital has declared the child is brain dead, is suffering, and all means of saving the child have been exhausted. Now I ask myself why prolong the inevitable? In Texas they have a law that allows the hospital to make the decision to withdraw life support in the event the parents can not or won't which is obviously the case here. It is unfortunate that it has come to this, but so it has.

It would absolutely break my heart to lose one of my children. I don't know how I would even begin to take my next breath, but I do know this...I would never want them to suffer, ever. I would want them safely in God's arms in heaven in his sweet presence.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:54 PM   #5
Neo
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 228 Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of
I think an important question to ask,,, Who is paying the bill? I would venture to say the hospital is paying the bill, the parents can't afford. In my opinion, the one who pays the bill has the call. It is unfortunate, however, there must be a conclusion. Terminally ill is what it means there is no cure and the end is near. This is sad.
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:49 PM   #6
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

According to CNN in this case Medicaid (the state of Texas) is paying the bill. I am shocked that Neo and I agree. I noticed one thing when reading the story and would like to know, if the parent (mother) is an illegal resident. It appears that she is, now I am not saying this doesn't give her rights to decide about her child. I am pointing out further abuse by our system of people who are not paying the right way for the right to be here.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:26 AM   #7
sbl_admin
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post Updated News Story

A new story has been added to the "Read More" section of this topic, as follows

FOX NEWS -- Apr 11 2007 8:26 AM
Texas Judge Rules to Not Take Ill Infant Off Life Support, Gives Him 9 More Days
sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:45 AM   #8
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Now to me that is just wrong. Why prolong the agony and suffering of this child? You are also inevitably prolonging the suffering of the mother as well. I can't imagine someone telling me today "You only have Jane for nine more days and well, it's bye bye." Cruel.

Nothing is going to change the situation for the infant. He is going to die from his disese.Period. Be kind and let him go.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:06 AM   #9
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
The Hospital should be involved in the decision

So should the doctor's and family. You know after that Teri Shivo or what ever her last name was it made me think of my children. Soon as one of my daughters gets married I no longer have any say as to how things would go if she was in the same situation. Blood runs thick and to let the husband have total say so would be wrong in my eyes or opinion. There is much gray area in this issue. I guess it depends on where you are sitting. I will say there is a time to let go but it sould be a conscensus among doctors, family and yes the hospital too. Like Tbelle said I do not think doctors take this lightly and will check out everything before they vote to let someone go. Off subject just for a second. Do you ever notice how nice all people are in the hosptial ?
I mean the workers from one end of the scale to the other and visitors too no matter the race or anything else when they walk thru those doors they become very nice and will speak in the hall and be so kind to each other there is good to be found eveywhere and hope too. Back to thread either way it is a burden to make that call and I have see my parents do it and how much it hurt them.
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote