Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > World News

Notices

Old 09-11-2006, 07:57 AM   #1
sbl_admin
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post It's Time To Remember Sept. 11, 2001 Attacks

The Nation will pause today to reflect and observe the moments when four hijacked planes struck the World Trade Center, Pentagon, and a field in Pennsylvania.
FOX_News
sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:14 PM   #2
geodood
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 222 geodood has a spectacular aura about geodood has a spectacular aura about
Yet another 911 aniversary without major incident. Each year I think the same thing. We have made it X years without another 911. I have to say that I never thought we would make it this long. I am very elated by that fact!! I just think that if a few handfuls of evil individuals can cause that level of devistation, then it would have from now on, maybe on a smaller level, but with some regularity. I am no less shocked today than on 9/11/01 by the overall magnitude of what happened. How could this have happened? What type of human being could do such a thing?d How can 19 people literally change our structure of government? Our own politicians do not even hold that kind of power.
geodood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:27 PM   #3
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Chertoff looks like the undead mummy of a host of "The Crypt". You know, that old series on HBO... Oh nevermind.... I don't trust him after 911 AND Katrina. Fool me once...........
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:34 PM   #4
Bob
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 221 Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by geodood
Yet another 911 aniversary without major incident. Each year I think the same thing. We have made it X years without another 911. I have to say that I never thought we would make it this long. I am very elated by that fact!! I just think that if a few handfuls of evil individuals can cause that level of devistation, then it would have from now on, maybe on a smaller level, but with some regularity. I am no less shocked today than on 9/11/01 by the overall magnitude of what happened. How could this have happened? What type of human being could do such a thing?d How can 19 people literally change our structure of government? Our own politicians do not even hold that kind of power.
True, that we haven't been hit as hard as we did on 9-11, but that same group of people is responsible for a few other large attacks since then elsewhere in the world. That train bombing in Spain comes to mind ? But yes, I'm glad we haven't been hit. What I am constantly amazed about since 9-11 is that right after this event.. This country was as UNITED as it has ever been since WWII. The outpouring of patriotism, and the amount of support we received from countries around the world. When we went into Afghanistan and carpet bombed the place to hell and back looking for Bin Laden, there wasn't a person or a country I think that said it wasn't DUE.

But this country has been so DIVIDED by the actions of our President since this event. How many U.S. service men and woman have we lost in Iraq. how many innocent lives have been lost in Iraq. How much money have we spent !?? AND FOR WHAT ??

There are those who may consider me unpatriotic for asking such questions, but I think it makes me all the more so. O.k. sure we got rid of Sadam, and he was a bastard, and he had it coming. But at this PRICE ?? I honestly don't ever see anything good coming from this adventure into Iraq.

Bob.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 11:22 PM   #5
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Bob, I don't think you are unpatriotic for asking those questions. All I can say is that I don't think that we are privy to all the information that "intelligence" is privy to. So we must remember that we are "back seat drivers" when it comes to running the country. I also have a hard time bridging the divide between Al Qaeda and Iraq. I don't always see the connection. But that doesn't mean there isn't one. Just not that we know ofanyway. Either Iraq is a big mistake or a brilliant manover to save our country and way of life. I think it is too early to tell, after all, the first Islamic nuke has yet to detonate. I'm not sure how I might feel after that fact.

But at a very basic level, and I know this must sound pretty bad, but Isamic fundamentalists brought down two towers and they have payed the priced of lossing two Islamic fundamentalist countrys to democracy in return. (at least in theory - Afganistan and Iraq) Eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth, which is the only thing those evil b@stards understand over there. If they hit us again, then they should loose another facist country. They will get a clue quick enough after 4 or 5 countries before betting the farm..... KISS Keep It Simple Stupid... works for me.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:51 AM   #6
Rough Rider
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 218 Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about
Sounds like someone is a big FOX NEWS fan ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz
All I can say is that I don't think that we are privy to all the information that "intelligence" is privy to. So we must remember that we are "back seat drivers" when it comes to running the country.
Hello ? Backseat drivers ? they work for US remember ?
And you don't send this country into war because "I know a secret.. and you don't" If you want to send in some volunteer group to take out Sadam because you know a secret that's one thing.. But you don't convince the country with a slew of different reasons that don't appear to be true, spend 300+ BILLION DOLLARS, thousands of soldiers dead because SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE knows a secret ???

Quote:
I also have a hard time bridging the divide between Al Qaeda and Iraq. I don't always see the connection. But that doesn't mean there isn't one. Just not that we know ofanyway. Either Iraq is a big mistake or a brilliant manover to save our country and way of life. I think it is too early to tell, after all, the first Islamic nuke has yet to detonate. I'm not sure how I might feel after that fact.
LOL you ain't the only one who can't see connection! And because some Islamic Nuke might go off ? more than likely from SOMEWHERE else like I don't know.. IRAN maybe ? we should be in Iraq ????

Quote:
But at a very basic level, and I know this must sound pretty bad, but Isamic fundamentalists brought down two towers and they have payed the priced of lossing two Islamic fundamentalist countrys to democracy in return. (at least in theory - Afganistan and Iraq) Eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth, which is the only thing those evil b@stards understand over there. If they hit us again, then they should loose another facist country. They will get a clue quick enough after 4 or 5 countries before betting the farm..... KISS Keep It Simple Stupid... works for me.
O.k. so somebody took out our eye with a shot at the twin towers.. Yes, lets go into Afghanistan and take out those bastards, and lets gets BIN LADEN.. who is still out there. But then we went to take out Sadam, and gave up the other eye and arm and leg in the process.

This Blind Faith you speak of.. because "They must know what they are doing" just scares the crap out of me. At the beginning of this war.. even then I knew it was bad idea.. but plenty of Bush supporters would tell me 'oh they must know what they are doing" even those folks who I talk to now are starting to come around and ask the question WTF are we doing in IRAQ??

I will go back to lurking for now

Rough Riders!
Rough Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:58 PM   #7
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rough Rider, I don’t think that it is a matter of one big “secret” but more like 100,000 small but significant secrets maintained by trained professional agents at our intelligence agencies. But you make a good point that they all work for us and therefore should give us enough declassified information in order to understand the general logic of the mission. I would think that they would want to rally public support for many reasons.

Now you may or may not trust the “intel” community in general, and I admit I sometimes have my concerns there as well, such as the reports of WMD’s and how they up and disappeared from Iraq (or were never there). Even if they somehow got it wrong and made a blunder, there are many other times when they do get it right and save lives, thank God.

This might be a poor analogy but I will try to make a point. Doctors may work for a hospital, but I don’t always want hospital business administrators calling the shots when it comes to my health, which should be between me and my doctor, regardless of who signs his paycheck. Yet I do think that doctors should provide enough layman’s information so that I as a patient can have a general clue to what’s going on, even if I never can or will understand every detail in medical science, not being a doctor myself. (and neither is the administrator is my point) We may all collectively own the “hospital”, but are we qualified to make those hard decisions such as war? I know congress can vote and the President can declare war, but has the population ever voted on the matter? Like investors in a company, we vote on our heads of state giving them substantial powers to make hard decisions and not put every issue to a public vote.

I don’t expect Clinton or Bush or any President to understand every detail in modern day intelligence and warfare, but I do expect every President to assemble a team who is in line with his overall objective which in this case is to stop terrorism dead in its tracks. How that is accomplished surely involves CIA and secret service agencies, military generals and admirals, and a whole host of highly educated and trained personnel who makes detail plans to accomplish the directive. When the President gets it wrong, so does a LOT of other individuals. As a basic citizen, I don’t really feel like I am in a very good position to judge what these intel people have to offer, and I doubt they all agree with each other 100% of the time. (but they do know a lot more than I do)

I really hope that regardless of their proposals or decisions, they all want to see our country safe, secure, and free and are working towards that same goal. Over time history will reveal who was right and who was wrong, and I am glad it isn’t me who must make those hard decisions. I would not want be the one to send a soldier to his possible death, nor feel the burden of knowing that had I sent a soldier in (to his possible death), that 1000’s of innocent civilian lives could have been saved. Those are tough choices indeed and they should be made by people a lot smarter than I am. (Speaking for myself only)

As far as sending a volunteer group to take out Saddam, didn’t we take assassinations off the table years ago? ;-) I have no problem with a little “political incorrectness”. After all, he did try to put a hit on a US president. I agree that might have been a quick and easy way to solve that problem, if that was indeed the only problem in the crosshairs of our government.

But maybe it was more than just taking out Saddam. Perhaps we choose the time and place in Iraq to demonstrate to the enemy that we can and will choose the time and place of such conflicts. Our message to the world should be that 9/11 was a lucky blow that will never happen again, and not that we can bend over and take it. Perhaps we are in Iraq simply because it pisses off the enemy that we can do what they said could not be done. If we are in the wrong place, then why does it inflame the Islamic fundamentalists so darn much? Why do they march into that land and commit suicide attacks? We must be doing something right or else they would stay and home and pray and make sure their wives are behaving. Would it be better if someone who wants to murder you and your family to stay hidden or come to Iraq to (hopefully) die at the hands of Iraqi and American solders before they kill someone here say in New York at their own hand and terms. Hell I really don’t know.

But my momma once said that you got to break some eggs if you are going to bake a cake! (Now that ought to scare the heck out of you.) LOL, peace and take care Rough Rider. Sorry for the long rambling post. Had too much time on my hands I guess.