Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Food & Dining

Notices

Old 02-07-2007, 07:29 PM   #1
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Old Restaurant thread

Mrs Hertz and I were talking about old restaurants that are no longer in business here in Shreveport Bossier. These come to mind...

Danby's (Eastgate and Riverfront) We liked their Ham and cheese sandwiches
Italian Gardens (Cross Lake) We liked the seafood linguini
Sansones (S'port Barksdale Hwy) Good Canoloni

But then that turned into the Chinese restaurant with the rats! Remember that!?

Pizza Inn (Kings and Youree) good sausage pizza
Shaky's pizza (Shreve city)
Crock of Cheese (now Chiante's on Line) It was a funeral home before that
Northeast Seafood Deli (on Youree in old Whataburger) short lived
Stump Water Inn (near blanchard) Awesome catfish and frog legs!
Centenary Oyster House (across from head shop on Centenary) Bad ass Jalpeno cheese fries
Dobb's House (on youree) Open late like Nanking

And how about Fertitta's and Monseur's?? Or Abes?? that's going wayyyy back
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:26 PM   #2
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 246 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
The chinese place served rat? Ive heard of korean places sellin dog, but man, thats too much! Yeah, I remember Shaky's Pizza...there was a neighborhood guy that worked there...Baldwin or somethin was his name...guy always smelled like pizza and we rarely ever saw him around. Heres one I bet nobody remembers...Luigi's Pizza, was at the front of the Sun City subdivision in Bossier City, in front of Parkway High School back in the early to mid 70's, next to the old 7-11, the 7-11 was a hardware place after that...and there was a small white brick building that was a beauty shop I think...or maybe it was a dog grooming business, cant remember now its been so long. Anyway, we used to pronounce Luigi's "Loogie's", which always got me and my brothers giggling. Inside, they had this picture on the wall...depending on how ya looked at it, it was either a picture of two victorian era ladies having tea, or it was a rather eerie skull...always thought it was a pretty strange picture to have hanging up on the wall of a resteraunt. Yeah, Pizza King was great...ate alot of good pizza and drank alot of beer there in the 90's...they had some weird wall art there, too...guess they closed not long after that. Seems the older I get, the more I find my thoughts turning back to those days, and remembering them thru rose colored filters, so to speak...when I KNOW that those days werent always good, like that line from the Billy Joel tune. We lived on Saturn street in Sun City when I was a kid back in the 70s, and we'd walk or ride our bikes all the way up to that 7-11 and get icees and candy...and I'd get those little packs of cinnamin or wintergreen toothpicks, maybe buy a comic book or one of those cheap balsawood planes you put together..if I had a bit more money I might even buy one of those planes with the rubberband powered propellers. Some of the songs on the radio were "The Night Chicago Died" by Paper Lace, Billy Swann's "I Can Help", and "Saturday Night" by the Bay City Rollers, "Those Were The Days My Friend" by Mary Hopkins. My favorite toys were a lime green or lemon yellow "Duncan" Beginner's Yoyo ( I never was good enough with a yoyo that I could handle a Duncan "Imperial"), and a "Nerf" Fokker Tri-plane that never flew too good...or how about those foot-tall GI Joe action figures with the weird hair that would come off if ya got em wet? Yeah, its kind of alarming when I realize how often I think about those things. Just a different era. I cant help but think that these young people today are missing out on all that stuff.

Last edited by Al Swearengen; 02-07-2007 at 09:15 PM.
Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:11 PM   #3
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
The "Chinese food rat story" refers to one night when the cops answered an alarm call at a Chinese restaurant (Taste of China, maybe?) and found the buffet food was still sitting out at night and "rats the size of housecats" were munching away on it.

I miss Cypress Inn and the place that used to be across the street from Schumpert that had really good Eggs Benedict.

I also spent many hours of my youth spinning on the counter stools at The Tic-Tock Grill (now Schumpert on line) despite the protests from my parents. Weismans (now The Margarita Cafe, formerly Tacomania) always had the best fried chicken and Theo's (downtown across from the library) has the best cheeseburger po-boys.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:32 PM   #4
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
LOL back in the day, growing up in New Jersey.. on every street corner it seemed, there'd be some no-name Italian pizza place.. some italian guy back there tossin' pizza dough in the air. We'd buy one slice of pizza for a meal.. best damn pizza I ever had. Moved down here to the likes of PIzza hut and the like and I was all like "this ain't pizza!"

And to comment on what Al was saying about today's kids missing out.. you got that right., they spend too much damn time playin' video games and on the computer.
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:36 PM   #5
scarlett
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 233 scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to scarlett Send a message via AIM to scarlett Send a message via Yahoo to scarlett
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight
LOL back in the day, growing up in New Jersey.. on every street corner it seemed, there'd be some no-name Italian pizza place.. some italian guy back there tossin' pizza dough in the air. We'd buy one slice of pizza for a meal.. best damn pizza I ever had. Moved down here to the likes of PIzza hut and the like and I was all like "this ain't pizza!"

And to comment on what Al was saying about today's kids missing out.. you got that right., they spend too much damn time playin' video games and on the computer.
I dated a guy that was a "true" italian and his family had a pizza place in a mall where I lived. They made the best pizza you could ever have.

Italian food is my favorite YUM!
Old 02-08-2007, 12:30 PM   #6
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
I miss Cypress Inn and ... The Tic-Tock Grill...Weismans
Now there are some good ones joepole! I miss them all. Weismans also had good hot tamales, and I would get those to-go. I also liked Cobb's Barbeque down the road across from centenary. Good ham poboys with cole slaw on em. Louis and Hershal's brother Joe Cobb is still selling BBQ over in Bossier all these decades. That might be one of the oldest remaining restaurants around. I love reading the old memoribilia on the walls, like I do at Herby K's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
Theo's (downtown across from the library) has the best cheeseburger po-boys.
I am sorry to report that Theo's closed down about 10 or 12 months ago. I don't know why, they were always crowded for lunch.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:48 PM   #7
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
I know, I work downtown, I meant to say "had."

Leon's also closed recently, so I have to put them on my list, as well.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:19 AM   #8
trkshot8

Rep Power: 0 trkshot8 will become famous soon enough trkshot8 will become famous soon enough
I am rarely ever here, but this evening when I read this topic it brought back some memories. I am 34 years old. Do you remember Powell's in Bossier? What about ?Walgreens?(Ugh!! I can't remember the name now!!)Restaurant in South Park Mall? And what about Bonanza on 70th, just before the tracks at Mansfield Rd? And lastly, what was the name of that place that was just north of 70th on Southern? It was a white building and seemed to have an awning spanning out around it.
trkshot8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 01:42 PM   #9
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkshot8
I am rarely ever here, but this evening when I read this topic it brought back some memories. I am 34 years old. Do you remember Powell's in Bossier? What about ?Walgreens?(Ugh!! I can't remember the name now!!)Restaurant in South Park Mall? And what about Bonanza on 70th, just before the tracks at Mansfield Rd? And lastly, what was the name of that place that was just north of 70th on Southern? It was a white building and seemed to have an awning spanning out around it.
The only resturant I remember in South Park Mall was El Chicos. It was good back then. I do remember the Bonanza which brings up new memories and more names like:

Mr Beef (Pierremont)
Alphies Fish and Chips (Pierremont)
Sambo's (Benton Rd at Old Minden)

Sambo's logo was a Indian guy with a turban on his head as I recall. Regardless, I'm sure this chain is out of business or at least changed their name and logo.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:05 PM   #10
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
I remember the Walgreen's in Southpark. That was a long time ago. You are definitely dating all of us with this list of restaurants.
Texasbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:43 PM   #11
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Did you eat at Walgreen's often ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbelle
I remember the Walgreen's in Southpark. That was a long time ago. You are definitely dating all of us with this list of restaurants.
How was the food there ? What was your favorite dish ? I see you have a very interesting taste in favorite food dives
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:52 PM   #12
Neo
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 228 Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbelle

sounds like you like the holes in the wall. Do you like the Don's stuffed crab and iced tea, you get a discount, earlybird special.

where you around for firenzes by the cambridge club.
p.s. forgive the spelling, it was before my time

Nice avatar, it reminds me of Pink Floyd:The Wall.
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:09 PM   #13
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
You know Neo it is like in the Matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
sounds like you like the holes in the wall. Do you like the Don's stuffed crab and iced tea, you get a discount, earlybird special.

where you around for firenzes by the cambridge club.
p.s. forgive the spelling, it was before my time

Nice avatar, it reminds me of Pink Floyd:The Wall.
You can not unplug a mind after a certain age it can not handle it. If she where to watch the Wall movie she would stroke out. To much for the mind to handle for the first time at 41. I feel sure that 80% of the people on this board have seen Pink Floyd the Wall movie. I know ole Texasbelle lives in a box and that would being the same as unplugging don't you think.
Isaac
Texasbelle you know if you have your AARP card you get 10% off at Don's and the Pickle Barrel too might want to check out some of them biscuits and white gravy. Take home a bag of roll too.
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:15 AM   #14
lima4specter

Rep Power: 0 lima4specter will become famous soon enough lima4specter will become famous soon enough
old sansone's restaurant

does anyone know or remember where the old sansone's restaurant is/was? A group of us are trying to figure it out....Thanks.
lima4specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:06 AM   #15
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Searching for the KEEL treasure?