Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Food & Dining

Notices

Old 01-02-2008, 12:35 AM   #46
decolady

Rep Power: 0 decolady will become famous soon enough decolady will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.nc View Post
Thanks for some memories decolady !

A little off topic but any of you techsters eat at the Blue Light? There was another soul food place in Ruston I only went to once and cannot recall the name but we always went to the Blue Light.
You're welcome. Thanks to everyone here contributing to this thread. I'm really enjoying the memories, too.

When I was at Tech (72-76) we used to go to the Pitt Grill a lot. Also some Mexican food place on California in a shopping centre next to the K&B Drugstore. And Bonanza on Tuesdays, which was ladies night. On Wednesday nights after astronomy lab we went for pizza. Forget whether it was Pizza Hut or Pizza Inn, but it was also on California.
decolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:39 AM   #47
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 257 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
Kon Tiki is still open and exactly the same.

Brocatos was the last of its generation to close, but close it did about 5-ish years ago. It's a photography studio now. I think Superior Bar & Grill bought the neon fish sign.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:40 AM   #48
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 257 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
...and it turned out the treasure was in Betty Virginia Park.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:15 AM   #49
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by decolady View Post
You're welcome. Thanks to everyone here contributing to this thread. I'm really enjoying the memories, too.

When I was at Tech (72-76) we used to go to the Pitt Grill a lot. Also some Mexican food place on California in a shopping centre next to the K&B Drugstore. And Bonanza on Tuesdays, which was ladies night. On Wednesday nights after astronomy lab we went for pizza. Forget whether it was Pizza Hut or Pizza Inn, but it was also on California.
Another soul food place in Ruston in addition to Blue Light is Sweet Peas both are still there. Also the Mexican Restaurant was El Pollinos..."Table for Two"....the same girl seated us for years and we had her voice inflection down to a tee. Bonanza is now a shoe store. Pitt Grill has been long gone. Do y'all remember Munchies sandwich shop and Al's Taco Grande (the only place open after midnight?) They were good but both gone. Restaurants have struggled there for years!
But guess what they are starting to get chains! They have a Chili's and an Applebee's! Times are a changing indeed!

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:50 AM   #50
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Why would anyone purposely eat at a TGI Friday's? Especially if there are any other restaurants open.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:12 AM   #51
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole View Post
Why would anyone purposely eat at a TGI Friday's? Especially if there are any other restaurants open.
I dunno but the parking lot looks packed all the time, even on New Years Day. I haven't eatten at a TGI Fridays since the 70's down in Baton Rouge.. All those places were good back then, even Chili's. But by the time decades pass and they make their way to Shreveport, it's not the same.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:16 PM   #52
decolady

Rep Power: 0 decolady will become famous soon enough decolady will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz View Post
I dunno but the parking lot looks packed all the time, even on New Years Day. I haven't eatten at a TGI Fridays since the 70's down in Baton Rouge.. All those places were good back then, even Chili's. But by the time decades pass and they make their way to Shreveport, it's not the same.
Oh I remember TGI Friday's in Baton Rouge then, too. There was another similar place across College Drive, but the name escapes me. We used to call them the fern bars. Girls night out and strawberry daquiris. :-)
decolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:51 PM   #53
j.nc
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 209 j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all
The other Ruston soul food place i was trying to recall was Bea's.. Mrs j.nc remembered.
j.nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:57 PM   #54
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
The other Ruston soul food place i was trying to recall was Bea's.. Mrs j.nc remembered.
Of course!!! I couldn't think of it either. Good job mrs. j.nc!

Jennifer Aniston
Old 01-02-2008, 10:41 PM   #55
j.nc
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 209 j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all
While still on the subject of Ruston... I heard that Stow's closed, may be closing, or is at least for sale.

RIP Stow's, a home away from home.
j.nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:50 AM   #56
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
While still on the subject of Ruston... I heard that Stow's closed, may be closing, or is at least for sale.

RIP Stow's, a home away from home.
Stow's is gone, but Sundown is still there and Rabb's appears to be a newer hangout. They get alot of famous folks to come to Rabb's too! I'm amazed at the talent that comes there....Gary Alan, Miranda Lambert, Dirks Bently, Willie Nelson etc....

Jennifer Aniston
Old 01-03-2008, 12:47 PM   #57
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 222 purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocahontas View Post
Another soul food place in Ruston in addition to Blue Light is Sweet Peas both are still there. Also the Mexican Restaurant was El Pollinos..."Table for Two"....the same girl seated us for years and we had her voice inflection down to a tee. Bonanza is now a shoe store. Pitt Grill has been long gone. Do y'all remember Munchies sandwich shop and Al's Taco Grande (the only place open after midnight?) They were good but both gone. Restaurants have struggled there for years!
But guess what they are starting to get chains! They have a Chili's and an Applebee's! Times are a changing indeed!
Seems like they have a Super 1 where a nice old house used to be also. The times have been changing.
purpahurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:25 PM   #58
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 316 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpahurl View Post
Seems like they have a Super 1 where a nice old house used to be also. The times have been changing.
Know what not to say and when not to say it
Click image for larger version

Name:	footinmouth.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	2041
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:10 PM   #59
vixweb
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 219 vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of
I see in the paper today that Marion Spataro has died. Anyone remember Spataro's rest. in the Remington,downtown? You would if you had one of his steaks! Delicious! I knew him originally from when he owned "The Circle In The Square" all those years. I remember his office was COVERED in Autographs from people like Robin Trowers and Stevie Ray Vaughn, to PANTERA(who eventually met their singer in that bar!). I ran into Marion recently(actually I changed his flat for him) and he seemed in good health- Anyway, just wondering if any of yall remember him.....?