Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Culture & Community

Notices

Old 09-17-2011, 11:00 AM   #31
Jvanv

Rep Power: 0 Jvanv has a spectacular aura about Jvanv has a spectacular aura about Jvanv has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to Jvanv
I Really am Working On This

Hello everyone. This has certainly been a long and drawn out process, but after many hours pouring over info on the internet and several trips to gather information from old timers I'm finally starting to write what I hope will be the companion book to the documentary.

Please if you have any stories about the Bossier Strip I would really love to hear them. If you know anyone that used to work on the strip I would really love to talk with them.

There is virtually nothing online or in print about the Bossier Strip or what it used to be. I hope that this work may serve to inform and entertain future generations about the rich musical heritage that is theirs.

If you would like to speak to me I can be contacted at 469-441-8771

Thanks again for all the input.

Sincerely,
Jonathan Van Voorhees
Jvanv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:27 AM   #32
Jvanv

Rep Power: 0 Jvanv has a spectacular aura about Jvanv has a spectacular aura about Jvanv has a spectacular aura about
Those Followig This Thread

I am making progress on the book portion of this project. The Skyway Club was a club on the Bossier Strip between 1936 and 1966. It was host to some of the biggest names in country music in it's day. Hank Williams played there, Elvis Presley, Webb Pierce, Slim Whitman, Faron Young, Johnny Horton, and many others got their start as professional musicians there. There was even a radio broadcast from the club that went out over KWKH the same station that broadcast the Louisiana Hayride.

I am looking for stories about the SKYWAY CLUB, or anyone that ever visited the Skyway Club. No detail is too small to be worth mentioning. If you know anything or know anyone that knows anything about the club, the people who patronized the club, performers who played the club or any legends, fables, myths about the club I would like to hear them.

Please contact me at 469-441-8771 or by email at jdvanvoorhees@aim.com

Thanks to everyone who has commented.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:04 PM   #33
Jvanv

I'm Still Working on This

Just wanted to let anyone who visits that as of April 28, 2014 I am still working on this project.

I have made fairly good progress on information about the Skyway Club and other area venues and I am currently seeking any information you may recall about the Columbia Park raid in 1971 or the underground newspapers that promoted the rallies at Betty Virginia Park. I have located the class action law suit that came out of the bust but it doesn't really give a lot of detail about the events surrounding or leading up to the bust.

http://leagle.com/decision/197116413...20D'ARTOIS