Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-29-2007, 01:28 PM   #16
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 261 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainSmashR
I understand your problems completely. Try displaying html within php if you want some real fun. More often then I care to admit I have to scrap ideas because getting it to look just right between php, Firefox and IE is just beyond my capability.
Oh? You think THAT'S fun?! Try running HTML data that includes Javascript or AJAX functions through a PHP page using dynamic data! Those little backslashes you use to escape quotes and apostrophes don't work quite the same way when you're feeding an echo or print function both HTML and Javascript code!

Like this:
PHP Code:
<?php
$data
="This is some 'tricky' data!" // Data that includes apostrophes
print("<A HREF=\"#\" onclick=\"jsfunction('$data')\">Javascript Link</A>");
?>
Can you see where this script would make even R2D2 throw up? Now THAT, my friend, is one that'll make you wanna scrap a project.

Try to imagine doing all of that AND making both browsers conform to both appearance and script functionality. CSS helps relieve some of the appearance issue, but the functionality issue is a pain, nonetheless.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:20 AM   #17
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Well, I hate to blow my cover, but Nuke is php for dummies. Pretty much anything you can get to look normal, I can wrap in php and an Iframe and utilize on my site.

Notice these two links point to the same thing, but I can write a "module" which is just an index.php, to make the page appear within my site.

With my header, footer, and sidebar
http://www.brainsmashr.com/modules.p...=Photo_Gallery

Without my header, footer, and sidebar
http://www.brainsmashr.com/JAlbum

PHP Code:
<?php
if (!defined('MODULE_FILE')) {
   die(
'You can\'t access this file directly...');
}
$module_name basename(dirname(__FILE__));
get_lang($module_name);

$pagetitle '- '.$module_name;
include(
"header.php");
$index 0;
OpenTable();
echo
"<iframe src=\"http://www.brainsmashr.com/JAlbum\" name=\"Pics\" scrolling=\"yes\" frameborder=\"no\" align=\"right\" height = \"2000px\" width = \"100%\">"

"</iframe>";
CloseTable();
include(
"footer.php");

?>
BrainSmashR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:05 AM   #18
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 261 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
I don't use a content management system of any kind. I tried using Joomla a while back but got very sick of it. I handcode all my own stuff now and doing PHP is a walk in the park for me. I'm working on one site now that's going to be, by far, the most advanced piece of scripting I've ever done on my own. When I get it more complete, I'll link it here for everyone to check out.

I use iframes VERY sparingly. For one, they look gaudy in some places if you have your scrollbars turned on. Also, sometimes you want to use data from your modules on other parts of the page. Iframes won't accomodate this. Finally, it takes longer for a browser to load many iframes than a simple include() statement that calls up that file.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:02 PM   #19
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Yep, but a simple include statement doesn't work so simply in every case....

Another advantage I like about using iframes other than it's simplicity is that it keeps all content on my site, so to speak. Check out the Google Module I made. You can do the google search, browse results, and even visit the linked sites all with my header and footer still showing. Plus it's really simple to convert to other CMS's.

http://www.brainsmashr.com/modules.php?name=Google
Old 04-30-2007, 12:57 PM   #20
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Cool, but why is the frame so tall?

Inline frames also don't apply the stylesheets of the parent page. If you're using a universal template on your site to maintain an overall consistant appearance, you must link your stylesheets manually to each individual module which makes updating a pain if you ever want to change stylesheets. If you use an include() function, which aren't THAT complicated, they will carry the same stylesheet info as if they were originally part of the page.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:15 PM   #21
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
browser wars

name that image

Click image for larger version

Name:	ffeatsmsie.png
Views:	12
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	437

bummer. it's easier to see once reduced down for the thumbnail.
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 11:25 PM   #22
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Even without shrinking it, all ya gotta do is stand back from the monitor. Very cool though.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:04 AM   #23
BrainSmashR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit
Cool, but why is the frame so tall?

Inline frames also don't apply the stylesheets of the parent page. If you're using a universal template on your site to maintain an overall consistant appearance, you must link your stylesheets manually to each individual module which makes updating a pain if you ever want to change stylesheets. If you use an include() function, which aren't THAT complicated, they will carry the same stylesheet info as if they were originally part of the page.

Negative, most CMS's are built to do this with relative ease utilizing a Theme system. While I have absolutely no control over the content displayed within the iframe (because it's another website), all of my modules/blocks (with the exception of 1*) will change appearance accordingly with the theme I choose.

For instance, with the click of a button and by changing an #FFFFFF to a #000000 I have changed the entire look of my website (I am assuming you've seen it before). This is a feature I can enable for registered users too, but since I don't know how to edit flash, some of the themes are incomplete, therefore I disabled it.

I don't suppose YOU know how to edit flash or have software to do so, huh?

*I do have 1 block on my site immediately below my first story which displays my BOINC signature and another random block....and I do indeed have to manually change the background color in one file to make it match the current theme, whatever color it may be.

BTW, the height of the iframe is a variable
height = \"2000px\"
Old 05-04-2007, 06:10 AM   #24
BrainSmashR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight
name that image

Attachment 437

bummer. it's easier to see once reduced down for the thumbnail.
Easily recognizable to any regular user
Old 05-04-2007, 08:37 AM   #25
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainSmashR
I don't suppose YOU know how to edit flash or have software to do so, huh?
Well, I do work with flash when I need to and I do have the software for it, however flash is tricky. There are two kinds of flash files involved when making flash: the SWF file and the FLA file. The FLA is basically the project file that contains all of the media used in the SWF. The SWF is the finished product that is used on the website. If you've ever used a video editing suite, then you probably know just what I mean.

SWF files cannot be edited directly. You must break it into a FLA file first which may or may not be efficiently possible. There are utilities that CLAIM to be able to restore a FLA file just from SWF, but I've had trouble finding one that will actually do this.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:56 AM   #26
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
I use Firefox because I cannot live without mouse gestures or Adblock (so I don't have to look at you people's animated GIFs and avatars).
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:08 AM   #27
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

I've never heard of mouse gestures. What do they do?
Old 05-04-2007, 11:24 AM   #28
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
If I want to go "back" I hold the right button and move the mouse to the left. if I want to go to the beginning of the history in a certain tab I hold-right and go up/left. To refresh I r/h and move up/down. You can customize all of them.

It's a lot like tabbed browsing, it doesn't sound as useful as it really is in practice. I HATE having to use IE for that one reason.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote