Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Religion & Spirit

Notices

Old 12-05-2006, 03:23 PM   #16
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Is there a second Lucy ?

Gary Larson found the second Lucy and besides that I have not seen Lucy ?
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 03:53 PM   #17
FunnyGuy

Rep Power: 0 FunnyGuy will become famous soon enough FunnyGuy will become famous soon enough
Does this chart help any?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	evolution_gross.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	56  

FunnyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 04:11 PM   #18
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Does this chart help any?

Yes it does ! Now I know where computer programmers come from !
Isaac
Old 12-13-2006, 04:52 PM   #19
FunnyGuy

Rep Power: 0 FunnyGuy will become famous soon enough FunnyGuy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
Yes it does ! Now I know where computer programmers come from !
I sometimes sit at my computer naked in my underwear, but I ain't no programmer! And I probably don't look as good either!
FunnyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 02:56 PM   #20
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

I sometimes sit at my computer naked in my underwear

Now there funny guy your avatar has a pug look to it. Do you know rhertz ?
Isaac

It is good to wear underwear while "sitting" at your computer saves a lot of clean up later
Old 12-17-2006, 01:21 PM   #21
MattyMattyChooChoo

Rep Power: 0 MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice
Alright. Sorry it took so long to reply after that first post.

I am against teaching A) Marco-evolution B) teaching theories as something undoubtedly true.

Macro-evolution is not proven at all. There is absolutely zero evidence for one species evolving into another. It doesn't happen now, we have no proof it happened in the past, so why the belief that it has/willdid happen? If it did happen in the past, what caused it to cease?

We have plenty of proof that Micro-evolution exists and still happens today. I am not at all disputing that.

First, gravity is a law, not a theory. I am a religious person (Roman Catholic), but let's leave that out of this. Logic requires that there must be an unmoved mover (God, higher power, creator, whatever) in the beginnings of the universe. The absence of one leaves a few options.

One could say that the universe just happened. How did it just happen? What caused the action of suddenly becoming? If it has always been, you fall into the problem of infinite regression.

I do not confirm nor deny that there was a "big bang", but the big bang had to start from something. If there was a "bang", was it a chemical "bang"? An explosion? From where originated the elements which exploded? Something must have created those elements.

In conclusion, my problem with public education is the very great and very real tendency to indoctrinate based on opinions and theories (things unproven) rather than educate and encourage critical thinking through discussion .
MattyMattyChooChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 02:05 PM   #22
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
Now there funny guy your avatar has a pug look to it. Do you know rhertz ?
I think it is safe to say that I don't know that cat! But welcome aboard FunnyGuy!
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 02:41 PM   #23
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
There is no technical and specific difference between a scientific law and a theory, but in general something described as "a scientific law" is subject to less scrutiny and proof than something described as "a scientific theory." A scientific law is an idea that we say "let's assume this is true because it seems simple and universal enough." A theory is an idea that we say "this is the explanation that the evidence supports."

Gravity is an excellent example. For the longest time Newton's explanation of gravity was accepted as scientific law. In the last 100 years, however, general relativity has provided a much better explanation, proving the "law" wrong.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 03:51 PM   #24
Snow Man

Rep Power: 0 Snow Man is just really nice Snow Man is just really nice Snow Man is just really nice Snow Man is just really nice Snow Man is just really nice
encourage critical thinking through discussion

I like that idea. Independent thinking by all. Joepole you sound like a PHD or something in higher learning and I liked what you wrote. Matty you too sound as if you are from higher education (Master or better) I just have a BA so bear with me but I find it hard to think I came from a monkey or any other animal as far as that goes. God is real and evolution dose not have a unbroken thread it just does not exist on the scale of which we speak. I do think genetics change generation to generation but I have not seen anybody in the last ten thousand years that looked like a monkey. Joe you have some very valid points as far as man knows at this time but always a but the answer to this is in the mind and heart too. Lucy does not exist. I do not mean to disrespect either of you I enjoyed you post.
Snow Man
Snow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 10:34 PM   #25
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
>Lucy does not exist.

Then who is:

?
Old 12-17-2006, 11:01 PM   #26
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Aw, I've seen the dude, man!
Yeah, man! I played with that cat last year!
That cat didn't know ANY tunes, man!
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 04:17 AM   #27
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Then who is: Joepole

That would make a great avatar for you joe. You know those ape bones do not fill in the gap. In order for evolution to be true it would have to be going on today and in years to come and granted there are some strange people running around here I still do not see some of them in trees and some of them walking on all four and yet some of them walking upright. Good try though. I see you have evolved to the point of using google Joe your a smart guy ? Could a human sperm and monkey egg ever make a baby ? Some people say they come from apes ( not me) do you think you did ?
Isaac
Old 12-18-2006, 08:51 AM   #28
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

>You know those ape bones do not fill in the gap.

1. Those are not ape bones.

2. I didn't say anything about filling any gaps. You said there was no Lucy so I posted a photo of her remains.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:11 AM   #29
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

2. I didn't say anything about filling any gaps

I stand corrected on #2. and I agree that that is a photo of what someone has called Lucy. So there joepole what is your take on the nonstop chain of evolution ? I know these are questions have been on the mind of man for the
longest time. I still will walk on the side of creation by God. I know analytical
minds have a hard time with walking on faith and I can respect that Joe.
Isaac
Old 12-18-2006, 04:02 PM   #30
MattyMattyChooChoo

Rep Power: 0 MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
There is no technical and specific difference between a scientific law and a theory, but in general something described as "a scientific law" is subject to less scrutiny and proof than something described as "a scientific theory." A scientific law is an idea that we say "let's assume this is true because it seems simple and universal enough." A theory is an idea that we say "this is the explanation that the evidence supports."
I found an article on google regarding laws, hypotheses, and theories. I'm not a scientist by any means, but I think there exists a flaw in using the phrase "theory of evolution", which encompasses A) Micro-evolution, something that has been observed and generally accepted B) Macro-evolution, something that is merely hypothesis and not at all proven.

Gravity (according to this article) is considered a law, or something generally accepted to be true and universal. If I am standing in my kitchen and I drop a coffee mug, it will fall to the floor.

I don't know about any new technologies or relativity etc., though I would like to learn more.
MattyMattyChooChoo is offline   Reply With Quote