Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post Louisiana State Fair opens Thursday

The Louisiana State Fair opens Thursday at the state fair grounds in Shreveport
sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:51 PM   #2
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
There is still a large crowd that go the fair. My family has not gone for years for many reasons. Safety is a large factor and after a a few days it is so nasty. The part of town is the main factor. I enjoy the livestock but it is not worth it just to see that.
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:49 PM   #3
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon View Post
There is still a large crowd that go the fair. My family has not gone for years for many reasons. Safety is a large factor and after a a few days it is so nasty. The part of town is the main factor. I enjoy the livestock but it is not worth it just to see that.
Excuses, excuses. Admit it. You are a boar, I mean bore.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:26 AM   #4
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbelle View Post
Excuses, excuses. Admit it. You are a boar, I mean bore.
I can see you like the fair Tbelle To each their own. What is your favorite thing at the fair ???
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:41 AM   #5
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
I have no favorite at the fair. I like to see the animals. Other than that it's just for the kids. Or to see how many rides Mini me Belle can ride before she starts feeling like she is going to throw up!!!
Old 10-24-2007, 09:47 AM   #6
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
I'm kind of pissed at the fair, I called to make sure they had a giraffe at the zoo and they assured me they did. They didn't. My daughter loves giraffes. She almost got snatched by an elephant, too.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:09 PM   #7
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
I haven't been in years. I used to like the chain saw exhibits..

I do miss the corn dogs and pulled taffy though. I can still taste it in my mind even if I haven't had any in 15+ years.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:44 PM   #8
vixweb
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 219 vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of
I used to go every year for the exhibits; new cars, tractors, four wheelers, ya know. But in the last couple of years, I've notice fewer things?? I guess I'll try it again this year- Last year they had "old school" tractor pulls with OLD tractors....kinda neat to see those old machines and how strong they were.
vixweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:38 PM   #9
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by vixweb View Post
I used to go every year for the exhibits; new cars, tractors, four wheelers, ya know. But in the last couple of years, I've notice fewer things?? I guess I'll try it again this year- Last year they had "old school" tractor pulls with OLD tractors....kinda neat to see those old machines and how strong they were.
When I was little, they hosted an antique car exhibit. A friend of mine had a father who owned a model T and a Torpedo often on display. But the antique vehicle I remember the most of Pedro's Pie Wagon owned my Mr Pedro. Mr Pedro had a wife as I recall who was the cook at South Highlands (Mrs Pedro) Maybe joepole or j.nc might remember her.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:12 PM   #10
vixweb
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 219 vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of
I was in 4H as a kid, I grew up in the country, but some of my friends Showed cows and sheep at the fair. We would bring sleeping bags and would all sleep with the animals. There wasn't much sleep though, we played alot of pranksthe carnies would crank up the music and ride each others rides all night- I remember alot of beer drinking!
vixweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:09 AM   #11
sbl_admin
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post Updated News Story

A new story has been added to the "Read More" section of this topic, as follows

KTAL -- Oct 25 2007 11:09 AM
Australian Outback Experience
sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:35 PM   #12
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

What were your favorite rides at the Fair?

I liked the Rotor the best. Something about defying gravity was cool back in the 60's during the space programs. I also like the Bobsled ride and the Scrambler. Bumper cars were good too.

I hated the Zipper. The Roller coaster was lame too. What was it called? The mouse something or another.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:13 PM   #13
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

I think Mrs. Isaac will remember the Bobsled ride and the refried beans and onions
Old 10-25-2007, 04:45 PM   #14
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
My least favorite ride is the octopus! This was the last time I went to the fair.
I was with one of my girlfriends, we were fresh out of college. My brother went along with us but decided not to ride this one (wise choice). This is that ride that goes up and down with extended arms and the seats that you can make spin too.
Well we were going to town with making ours spin and when the ride came to a stop our seat continued to spin and pick up momentum. Our necks felt like they were breaking and there was no headrest. We could blurrily see my brother down below just trying to figure out what the heck was going on. I don't believe I've ever used such foul language in my life trying to get that carney guy to get us off. We finally did and vowed to never ride that again and I've never returned either.
Oh and that double ferris wheel scared me to death because you went so darn high!

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:55 PM   #15
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocahontas View Post
My least favorite ride is the octopus! This was the last time I went to the fair.
I was with one of my girlfriends, we were fresh out of college. My brother went along with us but decided not to ride this one (wise choice). This is that ride that goes up and down with extended arms and the seats that you can make spin too.
Well we were going to town with making ours spin and when the ride came to a stop our seat continued to spin and pick up momentum. Our necks felt like they were breaking and there was no headrest. We could blurrily see my brother down below just trying to figure out what the heck was going on. I don't believe I've ever used such foul language in my life trying to get that carney guy to get us off. We finally did and vowed to never ride that again and I've never returned either.
Oh and that double ferris wheel scared me to death because you went so darn high!
Wow, what a story Pokey. I remember the octopus but I can't imagine what went wrong. The octopus was an OK ride and I recall that Six Flag over Texas even had the octopus ride in the mid 70's... As for the Ferris well, I kinda liked it. But I'm busting my brain trying to remember the "double" ferris well. I remember the name, but what was "double" about it? two seats per "node". If so, I remember a "triple" ferris well where three people sat side by side.