Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-06-2007, 06:46 AM   #1
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Water...

You know, I have to admit that water really has to be the miracle "drug".

I have increased my water intake from 0 to at least 1 liter plus a couple of 8 ounces glasses from the cooler at work per day and the difference I feel in my body is REALLY amazing.

I kid you people not, I've lost about 50lbs since Christmas (yeah it was nasty), I've eliminated my "need" for an afternoon nap because I can now sleep longer than 5 hours in a row, have virtually eliminated coffee and energy drinks from my diet because I actually PREFER water now (except with meals), and I literally feel "high" most of the day...and I "think" it's because I'm working up a good sweat and my body actually has more than enough water to deal with the situation whereas before, the longer I worked, the worse I felt...and don't even get me started on what it's done for my overall appearance from a physical standpoint as well as how I feel mentally throughout the day.

I REALLY hate to say it, because it took me 36 years to get here, but I've really become fascinated with water and the human body over the last few months.
BrainSmashR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:54 AM   #2
Leadbelly

Rep Power: 0 Leadbelly will become famous soon enough Leadbelly will become famous soon enough
Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee had an great quote about water.

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless--like water.
Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup,
You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle,
You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Now water can *flow* or it can *crash*!
Be water, my friend.
-- Bruce Lee
Leadbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:04 AM   #3
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
The water that little brain boy has in his mind is piss degenerate Brain !
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:12 AM   #4
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 261 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
The water that little brain boy has in his mind is piss degenerate Brain !
Come now Isaac, let's not tear the guy down for talking health. I know I don't get enough water in my diet, so this information would be valuable to people like me.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:31 AM   #5
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 268 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Drinking a healthy amount of water a day, really is quite a "trip".

I agree completely with what ol' Brain has said.

Two summers ago.. I started drinking a whole bunch of water and riding a bicycle about 6 miles a day. at the same time I was working on building the deck around my swimming pool.. In the heat of summer.. and I was much more able to DEAL with the heat. I lost a quick freakin' 20lbs.

could kick myself for having stopped that little experiment !!!
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:37 AM   #6
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 294 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
I had a kidney stone a couple of years back. As the summer months approach us, it is important to drink plenty of water especially this time of year, unless you like pain.... Also lay off the carbonated bevs which turns your body into kalkwasser reactor!

I also like juices. Pomegranate/cherry blend is good, especially for men IMHO.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:39 AM   #7
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit
Come now Isaac, let's not tear the guy down for talking health. I know I don't get enough water in my diet, so this information would be valuable to people like me.
Surely you must understand by now that his inability to argue a subject rather than the person is why he's on my ignore list?

And in actuality, Anime, you may "suffer" from the same problem I did/do. Even now it's hard for me to walk into a store and buy a bottle of water instead of a coke....and even though I've (and probably you too) heard all our lives about the benefits of good hydration, I swear I would/could not have believed it without having lived it. Even now, I wonder if I've got some kind of brain tumor and THAT'S why I feel better rather than merely drinking water.

2-1 liter bottles a day and you've exceeded your "8 glasses a day" by about 4 ounces, but I will testify that even 3/4 of the recommended "dosage", if you will, produces amazing results in the way you will feel and I can only assume that is a direct result of the health benefits.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:46 PM   #8
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Living in his lie ! If I am on your ignore list boy why do you reply to my post ?
You do time to time make good post but your so tainted by all the other post that I find it hard to believe anything you say. You might want to get that brain tumor check out it might be causing your bipolarity.
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:49 PM   #9
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 265 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Brain tumor? That might explain a whole lot. I know a few good oncologists if you need one.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:25 PM   #10
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 261 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainSmashR
And in actuality, Anime, you may "suffer" from the same problem I did/do. Even now it's hard for me to walk into a store and buy a bottle of water instead of a coke.
Yeah, sometimes. I'll admit that I almost never drink water. I usually drink soda, tea, or a mixed drink (lemonade, koolaide, etc.). I normally get a taste for water after a hard day's work or exercise.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:56 PM   #11
BrainSmashR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit
Yeah, sometimes. I'll admit that I almost never drink water. I usually drink soda, tea, or a mixed drink (lemonade, koolaide, etc.). I normally get a taste for water after a hard day's work or exercise.

...and that's the deal, by the time you feel thirsty, you're already suffering from dehydration, just like by the time your skin feels hot, you're already sunburned.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:14 PM   #12
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
>by the time you feel thirsty, you're already suffering from dehydration,

There's actually no scientific basis for that old wives' tale. Quite a few studies* have shown the opposite to be the case.

*[Phillips, P.A., Rolls, B.J., Ledingham, J.G.G. and Morton, J.J. (1984). Body fluid changes, thirst and drinking in man during free access to water. Physiology and Behavior , 33 , 357-363.] as an example
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:33 PM   #13
BrainSmashR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
>by the time you feel thirsty, you're already suffering from dehydration,

There's actually no scientific basis for that old wives' tale. Quite a few studies* have shown the opposite to be the case.

*[Phillips, P.A., Rolls, B.J., Ledingham, J.G.G. and Morton, J.J. (1984). Body fluid changes, thirst and drinking in man during free access to water. Physiology and Behavior , 33 , 357-363.] as an example

Thirst itself isn't a sign of dehydration, you can inhale dust and become thirsty. Working up a sweat in the hot sun and feeling thirst IS a symptom of dehydration. If you've actually had a job where you worked in the sun, then you know all about the thirst that can't be quenched. Simply put, access to water doesn't have jack to do with the amount a person consumes or the amount that individual requires.

You know there's a reason you found this information in a 23 year old magazine article and not a medical book....
Old 06-06-2007, 04:35 PM   #14
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 294 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Take me to the river, drop me in the water
Take me to the river, dip me in the water
Washing me down, washing me down

Man I hate the talking heads.....
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:40 PM   #15
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
"Physiology and Behavior" isn't "a magazine" it's a scientific journal. In fact, it's the gold standard of scientific journals in that particular field, as it's the official journal of the International Behavioral Neuroscience Society. That's how scientific studies are vetted, they are published in peer-reviewed journals.

>Simply put, access to water doesn't have jack to do with the amount a person consumes...

I posted a reference that (along with common sense) says it does, what evidence do you offer to support your position?
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote