Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Government & Politics

Notices

Old 12-18-2006, 09:34 AM   #1
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
Marijuana America's Most Valuable Cash Crop

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...rijuana18.html

When is this country going to get its collective head out of its ass and do the smart thing: legalization? How can anyone still think that demand-side legislation has any effect on the drug trade other than ensuring criminals profit from it?
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 10:54 AM   #2
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
When is this country going to get its collective head out of its ass and do the smart thing: legalization? How can anyone still think that demand-side legislation has any effect on the drug trade other than ensuring criminals profit from it?
When? Never. There is just too much money in keeping things the way they are. Put aside all the illegal money for sake of discussion. What about all the legal money going to lawyers and rehab centers? What about all the money going directly into police departments from forfeitures? If the average pot arrest costs the defendant an average of $5000 total, then the 10M arrests over the decades has generated $50 billion dollars. Nobody "in the trade" will allow such a revenue stream to just be cut off.

I'm not saying that I don't agree with you, but I'm just trying to offer a possible explanation. And that is, its "big business" and no industry goes down without a fight.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:19 PM   #3
Snow Man

Rep Power: 0 Snow Man is just really nice Snow Man is just really nice Snow Man is just really nice Snow Man is just really nice Snow Man is just really nice
Legalization will happen one day

As the old school gets to old to go vote that is when. The jails are full of people that could be working and paying taxes instead of the working people paying for them to have three squares a day. Is pot worse than drinking ? I think that drinking kills a lot more people than pot. The people that look down there nose at people that smoke pot are the same people that have there nightly drinks and will tell you that you can not compare the two. I have talk to my kids about it and they have tried it and they are doing well in school and have jobs and pay taxes. In CA it is like a speeding ticket and in Alaska you can grow your own. Maybe if the Democrats take the White House in 08 things will change. I wonder how many people on Capital Hill smoke the stuff ?
Snow Man
Snow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 02:17 PM   #4
Rough Rider
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 218 Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Man
Is pot worse than drinking ? I think that drinking kills a lot more people than pot. The people that look down there nose at people that smoke pot are the same people that have there nightly drinks and will tell you that you can not compare the two. I have talk to my kids about it and they have tried it and they are doing well in school and have jobs and pay taxes. In CA it is like a speeding ticket and in Alaska you can grow your own. Maybe if the Democrats take the White House in 08 things will change. I wonder how many people on Capital Hill smoke the stuff ?
Snow Man
Is pot worse than drinking? I would certainly think not. I'd like to see the stat of of Drinking related deaths either via drunk driving, or alcoholism, compared to smoking marijuana.

and I bet there's more than a few up on capital hill who partake, and have "inhaled" it's just getting them to admit it, that's the hard part.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
--Sir Winston Churchill
Rough Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:32 PM   #5
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Rider
Is pot worse than drinking? I would certainly think not. I'd like to see the stat of of Drinking related deaths either via drunk driving, or alcoholism, compared to smoking marijuana.

If the FDA had to approve alcohol for public over-the-counter consumption today, no way it would pass. The only reason it is legal, again is dollars. Billions of dollars.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:57 AM   #6
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
alcohol for public over-the-counter consumption

Alcohol is so easy for anybody to make at home so trying to keep it under control was very hard. Now if you are trying to have a green leafy substance growning in your home that takes a bunch of time and risk that no smart person is willing to take. They will take you and your home and everything else they can sell and make a dollar on and it will all go to the police and other government projects just like your taxes. The dangers of pot smoking are driving slow, eating stange mix of foods and laughing at people that would normaly make you mad and laughing at everything. Maybe we should send some to that leader of Iran even better they should have it on Capital Hill before they go into session all of them Dems and GOP. I like my red wine and a big pillow myself but I have no problem with weed it is the speed that causes so much crime they get hooked and have to get that fix. Speed kills people and families I have seen it and they will steal and lie to get that next
fix. Speed should be a major crime.
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:08 AM   #7
Neo
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 228 Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Man
As the old school gets to old to go vote that is when. The jails are full of people that could be working and paying taxes instead of the working people paying for them to have three squares a day. Is pot worse than drinking ? I think that drinking kills a lot more people than pot. The people that look down there nose at people that smoke pot are the same people that have there nightly drinks and will tell you that you can not compare the two. I have talk to my kids about it and they have tried it and they are doing well in school and have jobs and pay taxes. In CA it is like a speeding ticket and in Alaska you can grow your own. Maybe if the Democrats take the White House in 08 things will change. I wonder how many people on Capital Hill smoke the stuff ?
Snow Man

I think things will change when the dems take over in '08. The nontaxpayers will get out of jail and most likely still not pay taxes (crime is not taxable). Pot, in my opinion, is no better nor worse than drinking. There will always be someone out there to abuse any and everything. I pay taxes and could less what people do on their personal time, as long as they don't impose their biases, will, and opinions on me......... like the pelosi's of the world.
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:15 PM   #8
FunnyGuy

Rep Power: 0 FunnyGuy will become famous soon enough FunnyGuy will become famous soon enough
Want ads
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	405.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	61  

FunnyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:57 PM   #9
Snow Man

Rep Power: 0 Snow Man is just really nice Snow Man is just really nice Snow Man is just really nice Snow Man is just really nice Snow Man is just really nice
Hybrid Marijuana Flourishing in Mexico

Check out this link. Seems the Marijuana Plant is evolving.
Snow Man

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,237800,00.html
Snow Man is offline   Reply With Quote