Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-10-2007, 11:08 AM   #1
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Scientists Make Fruit Flies Gay, Then Straight Again

Scientists Make Fruit Flies Gay, Then Straight Again

Quote:
A new study finds that both drugs and genetic manipulation can turn the homosexual behavior of fruit flies on and off within a matter of hours
Yeah I know a few people who are like that once they consume enough drugs and alchohol...
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:13 AM   #2
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit

That is very strange. I'd be willing to ask HOW this experiement contributes to science just to see what weird responses I get.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:42 AM   #3
Morpheus
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of
It advances the theory that all of your traits are genetically based, including homosexuality, which some still view as a matter of personal choice. This study would seem to indicate that it's nature, not nurture.
Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:04 AM   #4
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 316 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
It advances the theory that all of your traits are genetically based, including homosexuality, which some still view as a matter of personal choice. This study would seem to indicate that it's nature, not nurture.

Which one do you think it is Morpheus ?? Nature or nurture ?? Maybe doctors are using fruit flies because they are fruity
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:56 AM   #5
Morpheus
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon View Post
Which one do you think it is Morpheus ?? Nature or nurture ?? Maybe doctors are using fruit flies because they are fruity
Actually I think they use fruit flies because their genome has been mapped already and has lots of documentation.

Personally, I think there may be a genetic predisposition, in the form of a mutation, but I still feel it's a personal choice-like alcoholism.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:31 PM   #6
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
Personally, I think there may be a genetic predisposition, in the form of a mutation, but I still feel it's a personal choice-like alcoholism.
Alcoholism may be a choice, but there are also genetic predispositions to having "addictive behavior" and "depression" which can lead to alchoholism. So it gets complicated......
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:49 PM   #7
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
So it's more like a personal choice that leads to physiological changes in the body (perhaps brought about by natural adaptation) that further develop the condition in question.

I guess, as far as alcoholism is concerned, that makes sense. Not sure about homosexuality though.

Personally, I'm not a supporter of it, but also not an activist against it. So long as it goes on without my knowing it, I'm ok with it.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:55 PM   #8
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 316 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit View Post
So it's more like a personal choice that leads to physiological changes in the body (perhaps brought about by natural adaptation) that further develop the condition in question.

I guess, as far as alcoholism is concerned, that makes sense. Not sure about homosexuality though.

Personally, I'm not a supporter of it, but also not an activist against it. So long as it goes on without my knowing it, I'm ok with it.
How can you not know it ? What do you do when you do know it ??
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:02 PM   #9
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon View Post
How can you not know it ? What do you do when you do know it ??
The military, in political neutrality, has a "don't ask, don't tell" policy in place with regard to homosexuality. That's basically the way I feel as well. If you are a homosexual, fine. Don't bring it to my attention and we'll get along. When you do, you'll be asked to keep it to yourself.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:58 PM   #10
Morpheus
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz View Post
Alcoholism may be a choice, but there are also genetic predispositions to having "addictive behavior" and "depression" which can lead to alchoholism. So it gets complicated......
uh, that's exactly what I said in the quote that you quoted!
Old 12-11-2007, 09:01 PM   #11
Morpheus
Advanced Member

Quote:

Actually it's more like the other way around-like genes causing physiological changes in the body, in this case brain chemistry, that predispose one to certain personal choices, like alcoholism, drugs, or ...pole smoking.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:03 PM   #12
Morpheus
Advanced Member

Quote:
The military, in political neutrality, has a "don't ask, don't tell" policy in place with regard to homosexuality. That's basically the way I feel as well. If you are a homosexual, fine. Don't bring it to my attention and we'll get along. When you do, you'll be asked to keep it to yourself.
Surprisingly, I'm with you on this one Anime.