Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-13-2007, 06:34 PM   #1
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 294 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Guess what?

It's raining....

Yeah I know, who woulda every guessed THAT??
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:46 PM   #2
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 268 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz
It's raining....

Yeah I know, who woulda every guessed THAT??
I was hoping like crazy my lawn guy, would have mowed my yard today.. but he didn't.. I'm sure he took care of some of his "Better" customers with these last few "dry" days we had.. but now everything is soaking wet again... I got a freakin' jungle growing over here.. which reminds me.. we had ANOTHER damn snake crawling up the side of the house today !!

can anyone tell what KIND of snake this is/was ? not knowing myself, I didn't take any chances and whacked him

Click image for larger version

Name:	snake1.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	329.8 KB
ID:	928

Name:	snake2.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	354.7 KB
ID:	929
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 07:18 AM   #3
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
FYI LN that is a common rat snake. He would not be near your home if there were not rats around I have one that lives near my garden named Sammy

Name:	Sammy.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	931
I would much rather have Sammy than a nasty old rat and he eats sparrows too. There are four venomous snakes in LA.
Copper Head

Name:	copperhead.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	932
Water Moccasin

Name:	Cotton Mouth.gif
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	933
Eastern Rattle Snake

Name:	easterndiamondbackrattler.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	934
Eastern Coral Snake

Name:	coral_snake_eastern.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	935
What is the difference between poisonous and venomous ?

This is a scarlet king snake, Lampropeltis triangulum. It is not venomous.
Look at the banding pattern (black on yellow) and color of the nose (red).
(not to be mistaken for the Coral Snake note the different pattern)

Name:	King Snake.jpg
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	936
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 07:51 AM   #4
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 268 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Thanks for the info there Isaac.

as far as venomous and poisonous.
I used to work with this guy, would have a fit anytime someone said something about poisonous snakes or poisonous spiders.. he'd say "They're NOT POISONOUS, their VENOMOUS!!

my dictionary say venomous:
adjective (of animals, esp. snakes, or their parts) secreting venom; capable of injecting venom by means of a bite or sting.

and poisonous :
adjective (of an animal or insect) producing poison as a means of attacking enemies or prey : a poisonous snake. • (of a plant or substance) causing or capable of causing death or illness if taken into the body : poisonous chemicals.

however...
a quick google search found:

Quote:
People often ask what the difference between venomous and poisonous. They ask why I tell them not to call a snake poisonous. Well technically all venoms are a poison however not all poisons are venoms. Too many times people get confused because someone on television says that a snake is poisonous while another says venomous. So to make things simple I will explain it. Any type of animal that injects a toxin into your body is venomous.

If you touch or ingest a toxin from a plant or animal and become sick then it is poisonous. Snakes that inject toxins from fangs and the two species of Helodermatid lizards are venomous while plants, amphibians, and fungi (mushrooms) are all poisonous.

Last edited by LateNight; 07-14-2007 at 08:07 AM.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:41 AM   #5
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
You might want to put some rat trap out LN. They love peanut butter
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:31 PM   #6
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
You might want to put some rat trap
out LN. They love peanut butter
Over the years, I have caught the occasional 'mouse' little bitty thing..

I just think, with my freakin' grass growing like it is. like freakin' crazy, and this freakin' bizarre rain in freakin' JULY that won't FREAKIN' stop.. I can't get my yard mowed. And "nature" is MOVING IN, ever so closer to the house !!!!

We're being over run !!
Old 07-14-2007, 12:44 PM   #7
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

High water makes the snakes move and the rats too. You can have rats in you home or other hiding places outside and not know it. They only move at night. The snake in your photo is going up to the top and he can smell rat piss and will move in on it for a meal. You might want to set out one rat trap and if you get one then you have more than one. I live in town and everybody keeps there grass cut and yards clean and my dogs still kill rats every now a and then. Rats are everywhere
Old 07-14-2007, 01:00 PM   #8
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
High water makes the snakes move and the rats too. You can have rats in you home or other hiding places outside and not know it. They only move at night. The snake in your photo is going up to the top and he can smell rat piss and will move in on it for a meal. You might want to set out one rat trap and if you get one then you have more than one. I live in town and everybody keeps there grass cut and yards clean and my dogs still kill rats every now a and then. Rats are everywhere
damn rats !
Old 07-14-2007, 07:12 PM   #9
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Watch out for those Waterhead Coppermoccasins.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:59 PM   #10
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Watch out for those Waterhead Coppermoccasins.
Yeah yeah, I seen one of those had teeth THIS LONG !!!
Old 07-15-2007, 04:36 PM   #11
guitarman
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 214 guitarman is a splendid one to behold guitarman is a splendid one to behold guitarman is a splendid one to behold guitarman is a splendid one to behold guitarman is a splendid one to behold guitarman is a splendid one to behold
I had a good look at a snake this morning and before I could move he took off but not a very large snake. Summer time and snakes. I have lived in the hills and those copper head snakes like pine trees and laying in pine straw.
guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote