Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Government & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 11:02 PM   #31
Isabella
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 236 Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of
You know accidents happen no matter how careful you are. My family has always had guns and no one feels the way I do. We were all taught gun safety at a very young age. The child who shot me was a visitor who knew nothing about guns. My husband's grandfather was killed in a hunting accident. A lady was shot at our hunting lease by accident by a visitor's gun that went off when he got his gun out of his truck.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:03 PM   #32
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 246 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella
Al, where do you keep your gun in your vehicle, home, and work? This child was about 4 years old or younger and went into a room he was not allowed, when the grownups were not looking. The gun was thought to be unloaded, too. That was always my mother's rule before bringing a gun inside.
All of our guns are stored in a locked steel security cabinet. We dont have any young children in our home, but when the grandkids come over I always make sure there are no guns left lyin around...they all go into the locker. And your mom's rule is perfectly sound, though I should point out that in the event that the gun will be needed in an emergency, you'd damn sure better be able to access the ammunition and load it quickly. Accidents happen when somebody drops the ball and fails to ascertain whether a gun is loaded. It just goes with the territory. If you're gonna have guns, you'd better make a habit of checkin them before ya handle em. If there are young children around, you'd better start educating them early on about gun safety, and you'd better insure that the guns are stored in such a way that they cant be accessed by anyone that cant be trusted to safely handle em.

Last edited by Al Swearengen; 05-03-2007 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:10 PM   #33
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 246 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
Look, guns are inherently dangerous. Theres no disputin that, ok? But its no different than teaching children not to grab pots and pans off the stove top and potentially scaldin themselves. Same thing with fire and matches. Same thing with sharp knives, or lawn mowers, or bathtubs, or electrical wall outlets, or any number of things that can cause injury if not handled properly. Education, education, education...gun safety is contingent on gun education. The importance of it cant be stressed enough.

Last edited by Al Swearengen; 05-03-2007 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:15 PM   #34
Isabella
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 236 Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swearengen
Look, guns are inherently dangerous. Theres no disputin this, ok? Its no different than teaching children not to grab pots and pans off the stove top and potentially scaldin themselves. Same thing with fire and matches. Same thing with sharp knives, or lawn mowers, or any number of things that can cause injury if not handled properly. Education, education, education...gun safety is contingent on gun education. The importance of it cant be stressed enough.
I agree! I hate guns with a passion!

If you still could, I bet you would give me a negative for this post.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:21 PM   #35
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Quote:
I agree! I hate guns with a passion!

If you still could, I bet you would give me a negative for this post.
Isabella, ya have the right to hate guns with a passion, and ya have the right to not have any in your home. Its a free country.

As important as the issue is to me, I recognize that there will always be those who dont share my opinions, and thats ok. I've never given points to anyone, for anything, negative or otherwise. Just ask the staff.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:30 PM   #36
Isabella
Advanced Member

Quote:
Isabella, ya have the right to hate guns with a passion, and ya have the right to not have any in your home. Its a free country.

As important as the issue is to me, I recognize that there will always be those who dont share my opinions, and thats ok. I've never given points to anyone, for anything, negative or otherwise. Just ask the staff.
Al, I was just teasing about the points. I don't care. You are right, this is a free country and you have the right to feel the way you do about guns. I guess you can say, we agree to disagree about this matter.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:35 PM   #37
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Quote:
Al, I was just teasing about the points. I don't care. You are right, this is a free country and you have the right to feel the way you do about guns. I guess you can say, we agree to disagree about this matter.
And thats ok sweety. Gun accidents DO happen, and if there are no guns in your household, theres a damn good chance there'll be no gun accidents. But Isabella, if ya dont have any guns in your home, I sure hope your family never has to suffer a home invasion, because you can bet the intruders will have them (guns)... And if that DOES happen, I hope that either the police respond in time or the thugs will be merciful.

Last edited by Al Swearengen; 05-04-2007 at 12:05 AM.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:56 AM   #38
Isabella
Advanced Member

Quote:
And thats ok sweety. Gun accidents DO happen, and if there are no guns in your household, theres a damn good chance there'll be no gun accidents. But Isabella, if ya dont have any guns in your home, I sure hope your family never has to suffer a home invasion, because you can bet the intruders will have them (guns)... And if that DOES happen, I hope that either the police respond in time or the thugs will be merciful.
Al, we do have guns in my home. Not my choice, but I have a husband and son who hunt. If someone broke into our home, it would be impossible to get the guns out quick enough to help, because they are locked up and unloaded. I have a pistol my dad gave me for protection years ago, but it is not where I can get to it. When I had children I made sure they could not get to any of the guns we have.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:27 AM   #39
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Quote:
Al, we do have guns in my home. Not my choice, but I have a husband and son who hunt. If someone broke into our home, it would be impossible to get the guns out quick enough to help, because they are locked up and unloaded. I have a pistol my dad gave me for protection years ago, but it is not where I can get to it. When I had children I made sure they could not get to any of the guns we have.

Special small, lockable "safes" can be purchased...some of them have a keypad requirin the correct combination to open, others require keys. It would be wise to purchase one of these and keep a loaded handgun in it. Everyone in your home, excludin the youngsters, should know the combination or know where the key is hidden. This is a good compromise...the gun is unaccessible to the unauthorized, but ready to use in just a few steps should the need arise. Dont count on the police to save your bacon, Isabella. You owe it to your family's safety to be prepared for the worst. But it sounds to me as if you've already resigned yourself and your family to victimhood, and thats a damn shame.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:36 AM   #40
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Quote:
THATS RIGHT, spinnin the goddamned data! What, ya thought nobody would notice? Who the hell do ya think you're foolin? Ya didnt tell the whole story, did ya? Hell no, because that would have the opposite effect on what you're trying to achieve here, namely an alarmist knee-jerk reaction aimed at blamin guns for that "slight increase". None of the data ya cited even ATTEMPTS to lay the blame where ya obviously want it laid. And where the hell do ya think the NRA got IT'S data?...which, by the way, I CHALLENGE you to disprove! Believe me, ya cant. In short, ya tried to spin the stats on the sly, then when ya got caught, ya tried to deny it, and nobody's buyin it! Unfortunately for you, your bullschit Bradyesque tactics only work on the gullible and the stupid, neither of which you'll find here on this forum, save for one or two exceptions. You're as bad as Rosie, or Soros or Bloomberg...keep pullin stunts like this and maybe they'll give ya a commendation! Maybe Bloomberg'll make ya one of his toadies! Nah, thats not ambitious enough for ya...lets dream bigger, you aspire to MUCH more, dontcha? Hell, maybe Rosie'll let ya shave the hair on her back or pop the zits on her fat (__)(__)...would ya like that? I think ya would! Well you'll have to do better than this, though I get the feelin this is your best. Either paint the whole phukin picture the way it really is or move to California or New York..or better yet, Australia or Britian. Ive got no patience for people like you.

What I did was cut and paste a direct quote word for word from the Department of Justice AND provided graphical data to support those quotes while you have done nothing more than post the propaganda of a special interest group, namely the NRA.

and personally, I don't give a **** what some gun toting zealot thinks about that. We have gun laws BECAUSE of people like you, not in spite of them.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:40 AM   #41
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Quote:
Look, guns are inherently dangerous. Theres no disputin that, ok? But its no different than teaching children not to grab pots and pans off the stove top and potentially scaldin themselves. Same thing with fire and matches. Same thing with sharp knives, or lawn mowers, or bathtubs, or electrical wall outlets, or any number of things that can cause injury if not handled properly. Education, education, education...gun safety is contingent on gun education. The importance of it cant be stressed enough.
I didn't say guns weren't dangerous.
I didn't say we need more gun control laws.
I didn't say you need to have your firearms taken away.
I didn't say we needed to infringe, appeal, or tamper with the right to bare arms in any way, shape, or form.

I said MORE guns doesn't equal less crime and I have more than proved that point with support of the Federal government.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:46 AM   #42
BrainSmashR
Banned

Quote:
1. Every "home invasion" isn't conducted with a firearm.
2. If you shoot an intruder in your home and he is UNarmed, and therefore your life was not in immediate danger, guess which one of you goes to jail that night. This is 2007, Al, not 1807, deal with it.

In most states a person can use deadly force when he perceives his life to be in danger, but not when only his personal property seems likely to be stolen.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:40 AM   #43
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
I am for all people owning guns that do not have a legal reason to own one. There is a way to get a gun permit if you have need to carry one. I do think that more people should get permits and carry a side arm. There is one thing that is a problem here. Schools have a no gun policy and that is OK in public schools like from high school on down but after that Universities are to wide open not to allow someone with a permit to carry a gun. I think a good idea for public schools would be to arm the teachers that would like to and the principal and assistant principal need a gun and training because they would be the first one to respond if a shooting took place at their school.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:49 AM   #44
BrainSmashR
Banned

Yeah, then instead of the PE coach just molesting someones daughter, he can do it at gunpoint.

Ok, look guys, it's one thing to be in favor of the right to bare arms. I am 100% in favor of the Right of every adult American, not convicted of a felony, to own/carry a firearm when and where it's legal and appropriate.

.....but it's totally in ****ing sane to suggest everyone carry a gun and that we should even put them in our schools at all levels
Old 05-04-2007, 06:54 AM   #45
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainSmashR
Yeah, then instead of the PE coach just molesting someones daughter, he can do it at gunpoint.

Ok, look guys, it's one thing to be in favor of the right to bare arms. I am 100% in favor of the Right of every adult American, not convicted of a felony, to own/carry a firearm when and where it's legal and appropriate.

.....but it's totally in ****ing sane to suggest everyone carry a gun and that we should even put them in our schools at all levels
I think that a few people on campus that have had training should have a side arm either in a safe or on their person. They do have school cops at the schools and I do not know if they carry a gun but if they dont they should. Once again with proper training and understanding of the law. I do not think it will happen but that is my opinion.
Closed Thread