Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > World News

Notices

Old 08-26-2007, 08:28 AM   #16
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Good post vixweb. I just watched a service at First Baptist Bossier www.firstbossier.com and I must say this preacher is nothing more than a stand up comedian. Not even good at that. He would mention the Bible and just keep rambling on about himself. This is the kind of person that has hijacked many Christian people. Judgment does start at the pulpit and our public officials too. The Word says a higher standard has been set for those who choose to be leaders. He is starving these good people that go to church because they are Christians and want to hear the truth of the Word.
This gives true Christianity a black eye. The great correction will come one day and these stuffed shirts in the pulpits will be guilty of murder ! yes murder of the eternal soul for all of those they mislead. Sounds harsh well I meant it to be. There is so much at stake here that many people have no idea just plugged in to the main frame and content to send their 10% and get the warm fuzzy for a hour each week. There are many people that study and some gifted teachers too and I think small study groups or just individual study is best.
Amos 8

11 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD:

12 And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the LORD, and shall not find it.

It is not just this church in Bossier it is many churches. I try to watch all different services that run on TV and I do not have a ax to grind with any particular one. Teachers TEACH the WORD I do not need the traditions of man blowing warm air in my ears I need the WORD and some one educated in the languages to lecture and increase my knowledge of the Letter our Father sent to us as a book of instruction on what it takes to be happy and how to have a close walk with our Father. Study to show yourself approved with a teacher blessed of God that rightly divides the Word.
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 12:46 PM   #17
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
I have to think some of the preachers are in the dark (so to speak) and not aware that they could be doing false preachings? Since that is their chosen vocation and they are paid to do so you would think and hope they have done their studies. But from what I've seen more and more have not and that is unfortunate!

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:30 AM   #18
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbl_admin View Post
Jesus has a very special love for you. As for me, the silence and the emptiness is so great that I look and do not see, listen and do not hear.
— Mother Teresa to the Rev. Michael Van Der Peet, September 1979
Yet less than three months earlier, in a letter to a spiritual confidant, the Rev. Michael van der Peet, that is only now being made public, she wrote with weary familiarity of a different Christ, an absent one. "Jesus has a very special love for you," she assured Van der Peet. "[But] as for me, the silence and the emptiness is so great, that I look and do not see, — Listen and do not hear — the tongue moves [in prayer] but does not speak ... I want you to pray for me — that I let Him have [a] free hand."

Mother Teresa was a good woman that helped many people through hard times. She was only human and the idea that one human can make another human into a saint ? She did what we all should do and that is to help out our brothers and sisters when they are down. She did not ask to be a saint but instead just reached out to help others.
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:25 PM   #19
Huldah

Rep Power: 0 Huldah is just really nice Huldah is just really nice Huldah is just really nice Huldah is just really nice
Mother Teresa

I just can't believe this happened. I just spent an hour on a reply to these articles and all the related posts, and then I was dumped from the server and it's all gone.

I don't know if I can remember all I wanted to say. Maybe I just said too much and they system couldn't handle it.

First off, let me just say this . . . "Crying, there's no crying in Baseball." Sorry, I liked that movie too. Although I don't agree with his polotics, I like Tom Hanks as an actor. He has certainly played some thought provoking roles.

Anyway . . . .

After reading several pages about Mother Teresa and her lack of faith, or losh of faith, or whatever you want to call it, I feel very sad for her.
I also feel like all the people in positons of trust in her life were not worthy of her trust. She asked her letters to be destroyed and they weren't. Letters to her "confessors" are now published? What happened to what is said in the confessional is sacred? And then one "advisor" tells her to "role-play" an imaginary conversation, and then it is used as "proof" that her faith had faltered.
Anyway, back to Mother Teresa herself (I'll try to be briefer this time). Is it possible that she simply wanted what she wanted and ignored or refused to listen to what God wanted for or from her and in turn was ignored? It is said about her (based on her letters) that the only interest she had in Jesus was the passion, the crucifixion, his death and dying on the cross; that she wanted to suffer as Christ did. Just because she didn't get "Jesus in her heart" as well, doesn't mean that she didn't get what she wanted. She repeatedly insisted on living in complete misery and in fact insisted that all of her helpers/followers live the same way. Why would she think that this was truely how God would want any of his children to live.
Please do not missunderstand me. I really believe that Mother Teresa was a great person and that she made a tremendous difference for the poor and downtrodden people of Caldutta. I also believe that her selflessness has been an example for others and lead to many people giving and helping more.
The point I'm trying to make is that perhaps she wasn't as "faithless" as this book is trying to make her out to be. I'm not sure that the author's reasoning for publishing all of these letters (along with him and many other people telling us what she was thinking) is as nobal as he makes it out to be.
I'm sorry, this version turned out to be much more sceptical than the first.
God Bless

Huldah
Huldah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:45 PM   #20
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon View Post
No, I really do like Tom Hanks and that baseball movie!! Just because I don't "go to the mattresses" on every post, doesn't mean I'm a fence sitter...... In fact, I hate squirrels.... Tree rats i call them...
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:40 PM   #21
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 246 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
Welcome Huldah. Your avatar is of course the stunningly beautiful Joann Whaley from the movie "Willow"! Very nice!

I'm just guessin here, but maybe Mother Teresa figured that as long as there were people sufferin in abject poverty, she herself should be poor also, so as to better understand the misery of their plight.

Just think, if Mother Teresa, Ghandi, and Billy Graham all end up in Hell, then we're all screwed...especially LateNight! Thats why I recently got LN a book entitled "Chicken Soup for LateNight's Soul", because I happen to know for a fact that LateNight struggles with his faith, and he could sure use some of dat! Nope, no thanks be necessary...I just does what I can to helps da peoples!

Last edited by Al Swearengen; 08-28-2007 at 01:47 AM.
Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:38 AM   #22
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

It is a good thing when a teacher and man or woman of God does not do it for the financial gain. This shows conviction and not greed. Mother Teresa did help many poor people but to be living with nothing by choice is not that smart of a choice. She could have the basic things she needs in life and be in a better position to help others and show that hard work and prayers bring blessings to those that work. Church dogma is poison and the small study groups that do not get paid or the individual that studies deep will be the ones to learn the Word. This is a test only a test
Old 08-28-2007, 07:53 AM   #23
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

I received this email this morning and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Ike

Rick Warren (REMEMBER HE WROTE "PURPOSE DRIVEN LIFE")

You will enjoy the new insights that Rick Warren has, with his wife now having cancer and him having "wealth" from the book sales. This is an absolutely incredible short interview with Rick Warren,

"Purpose Driven Life " author and pastor of Saddleback Church in California.

In the interview by Paul Bradshaw with Rick Warren, Rick said:

People ask me, What is the purpose of life? And I respond: In a nutshell, life is preparation for eternity. We were made to last forever, and God wants us to be with Him in Heaven.

One day my heart is going to stop, and that will be the end of my body-- but not the end of me.

I may live 60 to 100 years on earth, but I am going to spend trillions of years in eternity. This is the warm-up act - the dress rehearsal. God wants us to practice on earth what we will do forever in eternity.

We were made by God and for God, and until you figure that out, life isn't going to make sense.

Life is a series of problems: Either you are in one now, you're just coming out of one, or you're getting ready to go into another one.

The reason for this is that God is more interested in your character than your comfort.

God is more interested in making your life holy than He is in making your life happy.

We can be reasonably happy here on earth, but that's not the goal of life. The goal is to grow in character, in Christ likeness.

This past year has been the greatest year of my life but also the toughest, with my wife, Kay, getting cancer.

I used to think that life was hills and valleys - you go through a dark time, then you go to the mountaintop, back and forth. I don't believe that anymore.

Rather than life being hills and valleys, I believe that it's kind of like two rails on a railroad track, and at all times you have something good and something bad in your life.

No matter how good things are in your life, there is always something bad that needs to be worked on.

And no matter how bad things are in your life, there is always something good you can thank God for.

You can focus on your purposes, or you can focus on your problems.

If you focus on your problems, you're going into self-centeredness,"which is my problem, my issues, my pain." But one of the easiest ways to get rid of pain is to get your focus off yourself and onto God and others.

We discovered quickly that in spite of the prayers of hundreds of thousands of people, God was not going to heal Kay or make it easy for her.

It has been very difficult for her, and yet God has strengthened her character, given her a ministry of helping other people, given her a testimony, drawn her closer to Him and to people.

You have to learn to deal with both the good and the bad of life.

Actually, sometimes learning to deal with the good is harder. For instance, this past year, all of a sudden, when the book sold 15 million copies, it made me instantly very wealthy.

It also brought a lot of notoriety that I had never had to deal with before. I don't think God gives you money or notoriety for your own ego or for you to live a life of ease.

So I began to ask God what He wanted me to do with this money, notoriety and influence. He gave me two different passages that helped me decide what to do, II Corinthians 9 and Psalm 72

First, in spite of all the money coming in, we would not change our lifestyle one bit. We made no major purchases.

Second, about midway through last year, I stopped taking a salary from the church.

Third, we set up foundations to fund an initiative we call The Peace Plan to plant churches, equip leaders, assist the poor, care for the sick, and educate the next generation.

Fourth, I added up all that the church had paid me in the 24 years since I started the church, and I gave it all back. It was liberating to be able to serve God for free.

We need to ask ourselves: Am I going to live for possessions? Popularity?

Am I going to be driven by pressures? Guilt? Bitterness? Materialism? Or am I going to be driven by God's purposes (for my life)?

When I get up in the morning, I sit on the side of my bed and say, God, if I don't get anything else done today, I want to know You more and love You better. God didn't put me on earth just to fulfill a to-do list. He's more interested in what I am than what I do.
That's why we're called human beings, not human doings.

Happy moments, PRAISE GOD.
Difficult moments, SEEK GOD.
Quiet moments, WORSHIP GOD.
Painful moments, TRUST GOD.
Every moment, THANK GOD
Old 08-29-2007, 02:02 PM   #24
MattyMattyChooChoo

Rep Power: 0 MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice
Isaac, you know nothing of the Catholic Church, traditions, "agendas", true Christianity. You sound like you've seen the DaVinci Code a few dozen time too many. You completely dodged the issues I addressed, and made up a story about the Church and "mind control". What mind control and agendas does the Church have? The Catholic Church is just about the only church that holds a steady position regardless of secular society. Abortion is wrong, homosexual acts are wrong, premarital sex is wrong, women in the priesthood has no theological basis. These are things which our society and other non-Catholic denominations have widely embraced, yet the Catholic Church has not wavered.

The traditions in the Mass are designed in such a way that promotes worldwide unity. You can walk into any Catholic Church in the world and have basically the same Mass. Not so for any other Christian denomination.

Finally, the teachings of Christ through the Catholic Church (founded by Christ himself) teach on the basis of reason and logic. We don't get a little book that says "this is wrong, this is right, end of story." There are full detailed explanations with biblical references to support. I encourage you to research more deeply, the truth about the Catholic Church.
MattyMattyChooChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:43 PM   #25
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huldah View Post
I just can't believe this happened. I just spent an hour on a reply to these articles and all the related posts, and then I was dumped from the server and it's all gone.
That can be frustrating.. if when you log in, if you check the little box that says "remember me?", it won't automatically log you off after some inactivity. depending on your situation, security wise, you might want to "log off" when you are done.
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:44 PM   #26
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMattyChooChoo View Post
Isaac, you know nothing of the Catholic Church, traditions, "agendas", true Christianity. You sound like you've seen the DaVinci Code a few dozen time too many. You completely dodged the issues I addressed, and made up a story about the Church and "mind control". What mind control and agendas does the Church have? The Catholic Church is just about the only church that holds a steady position regardless of secular society. Abortion is wrong, homosexual acts are wrong, premarital sex is wrong, women in the priesthood has no theological basis. These are things which our society and other non-Catholic denominations have widely embraced, yet the Catholic Church has not wavered.

The traditions in the Mass are designed in such a way that promotes worldwide unity. You can walk into any Catholic Church in the world and have basically the same Mass. Not so for any other Christian denomination.

Finally, the teachings of Christ through the Catholic Church (founded by Christ himself) teach on the basis of reason and logic. We don't get a little book that says "this is wrong, this is right, end of story." There are full detailed explanations with biblical references to support. I encourage you to research more deeply, the truth about the Catholic Church.
I can agree with some of what you posted. Have your ever read about Debra or Huldah ? What about Tehpi or Scotia ? You are right about being able to walk in any Catholic Church and get the same reading or teaching as you may any week of the year. Matty I am not saying people that practice Catholicism are not Christian ! I have no right to judge a soul. I find the
DaVinci Code to be flawed in a major way FYI ! You can be Catholic or any other "denomination" and still be my friend. The fact that Christianity is a reality and not a religion or denomination is my point. Man wanted a king and he got one Saul and from there things went down hill. Traditions of man that cover the truth about the Bible are wrong !!!
Old 08-29-2007, 02:54 PM   #27
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMattyChooChoo View Post

Matty I have some questions regarding Catholics and I sincerely would like to know the answers behind them. I'm not being callous.
1. Why is it almost impossible to get a divorce? Why does it have to be called an annullment as if it never happened when there is a divorce?
2. Why is there confession of your innermost secrets when you can go directly to our Father without anyone else hearing about it?
3. Why can only Catholics take Holy communion in the Catholic church?
These are some of the things that I truly don't understand!
Pokie

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:53 PM   #28
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
I'd like to know why nuns, when asked about their views on evolution, respond by hitting you with a Bible.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:04 PM   #29
vixweb
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 219 vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of
Matty-you are quick to point out that the catholic church was started by CHRIST himself, however, you completely miss even THATpoint. Was he walking down the ailse swinging insense? How about wearing the pointy hat? THESE are the kinds of traditions that distract from what JESUS taught.
Agendas? Mind control? Their own relevance is the agenda- "you can't get to heaven but through Catholosism"? You can't get to heaven except through JESUS! That is to say, When you go to confession- you tell the priest your sins and HE gives you your"punishment". I gotta tell ya matty- You don't need a priest for that. If you need forgiveness, talk to GOD! I think if JESUS walked into a "mass", he would tell you to spend your time studying HIS example and the WORD OF GOD-
Again, let me say that Catholics are NOT the only ones with these types of issues. But It makes a great example of the things that CHRISTIANS have become "distracted" by. Of course, we can all get along....this is just a discussion.
vixweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 06:49 AM   #30
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Good post vixweb and Pokie !! I hope others that read this thread will pick up their Bible if they choose and read for themselves the Word and see just how quick they can learn for themselves. I am real surprised Tbelle has not posted to this thread I guess she is busy