Go Back   Shreveport.com > SBLive! Groups > Historic Photos

Notices

Old 06-26-2007, 07:15 AM   #1
sbl_admin
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post Comments on: george d'artois

Reader comments and feedback for the george d'artois photo.
This image is part of the Historic Photos photo gallery

Last edited by sbl_admin; 07-05-2007 at 02:04 PM.
sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:17 AM   #2
Coralman

Rep Power: 0 Coralman is a jewel in the rough Coralman is a jewel in the rough Coralman is a jewel in the rough
I will say one thing about George when he was at the helm we did not have the crime problem in Shreveport. If someone was causing a problem they could deal with the police and if they could not handle it then one of Georges friends would come calling.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:59 AM   #3
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
I for one will not say anything negative about George! You never know who is still around watching!
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:53 AM   #4
salguodgrubmab
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 0 salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough
I forgot about underage drinking

Speedy's on Mansfield Rd. first 8 pack of Miller ponies at 15. Mr. Crows bar on 70th at 16. I had to serpentine up the driveway many a night at Mr. Crows. Drinking was tolerated but don't get caught with a minute quantity of a controlled substance. I remember listening to the stand-off on the radio. I just knew he would go out in a blaze of glory. He was our J. Edger Hoover sans the high heels and make-up.
salguodgrubmab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:08 AM   #5
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Do any of you avatars remember "Big D's" out by Cross Lake ? Beer by the bucket and pinball machines and the garden room out back. I think it is right by the Progressive Mens Club or it was called that back then.
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:30 PM   #6
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by salguodgrubmab
Speedy's on Mansfield Rd. first 8 pack of Miller ponies at 15. Mr. Crows bar on 70th at 16. I had to serpentine up the driveway many a night at Mr. Crows. Drinking was tolerated but don't get caught with a minute quantity of a controlled substance. I remember listening to the stand-off on the radio. I just knew he would go out in a blaze of glory. He was our J. Edger Hoover sans the high heels and make-up.
I think several underage generations went to the Cub in the 70's and before. I remember buying Tequila Sunrises at slightly inflated prices....
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:36 AM   #7
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz
I think several underage generations went to the Cub in the 70's and before. I remember buying Tequila Sunrises at slightly inflated prices....
rhertz we must have been there at the same time and LOL I would always get the Tequila Sunrise too
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:41 AM   #8
howela
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 219 howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold
I remember a murder for hire because Jim Lesley would not except payment for his services via government funds instead of the legal private funds of George D'artois.
howela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:44 AM   #9
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by howela
I remember a murder for hire because Jim Lesley would not except payment for his services via government funds instead of the legal private funds of George D'artois.
I recall this too. Did Jim Lesley get killed ? I was very young at the time.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:46 AM   #10
howela
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 219 howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold
"Someone" paid two people to talk to Jim about excepting the city funds to pay for D'artois campaign. He refused saying the legal way was to pay with private funds.

Shortly thereafter Jim Leslie was shotgunned to death.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:48 AM   #11
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
"Someone" paid two people to talk to Jim about excepting the city funds to pay for D'artois campaign. He refused saying the legal way was to pay with private funds.

Shortly thereafter Jim Leslie was shotgunned to death.
Did they ever find out who shot him ?
Old 06-27-2007, 08:00 AM   #12
howela
Advanced Member

Yes, I cant recall the mens names... Rusty... something I think. They gave it up and said they were hired by George D'atois who, after hiding a while in his own attic, was arrested. I believe he died before going to trial.
He was so intimidating that many really believed his death did not really happen and he was (and maybe still is) in hiding.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:10 AM   #13
howela
Advanced Member

Click image for larger version

Name:	465436750dbfc.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	842
little union baptist
2007-05-23

Sept. 22, 1963 I recall this era so clearly. The vehemence expressed by my elders. Couldn't grasp it then. I thought for a long time that MLK was the most evil person on the planet. Our fair city was segregated to the bitter end. Langston McEachern photo SPD Collection George D'Artois dispatched garbage trucks to transport all protesters to the jail house.

(from site collection, Not my words..howela)
Old 06-27-2007, 08:12 AM   #14
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Yes, I cant recall the mens names... Rusty... something I think. They gave it up and said they were hired by George D'atois who, after hiding a while in his own attic, was arrested. I believe he died before going to trial.
He was so intimidating that many really believed his death did not really happen and he was (and maybe still is) in hiding.
OK I had to call my Mom and the guy that did the shooting was Rusty Griffith and my parents knew his brother Mac who was a very nice guy. Do you know what year it was ??
Old 06-27-2007, 08:22 AM   #15
howela
Advanced Member

Early 80's I guess. Find out when this arrest picture was taken. I think the actual murder happened 6 months to 2 years before the arrest. I just can't remember exactly.
I googled George D'artois and searched him on The Shreveport Times site but couldn't find it. The times has articles but they request payment for archieved pieces.

OBTW.... you're not really George, are you? The rumors still persist!
Quote:
Pocahontas
I for one will not say anything negative about George! You never know who is still around watching!

Last edited by howela; 06-27-2007 at 03:39 PM.