Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Food & Dining

Notices

Old 09-25-2007, 08:20 PM   #31
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
He probably brought you King Pao Shrimp with Diced Monkey Penis and you didn't even know it. :P

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:56 AM   #32
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz View Post
No, I'm pretty sure that "peanuts" cost less than such a delicacy as Diced Monkey ***** which has to cost at least $20 per lb... Monkey is more rare than Chilean Sea Bass or Redfish.... hehehe
rhertz is well versed on the ways of Asian food. Everything is priced by the pound and monkey is no exception. I see this thread on quick links all the time so google must have it ranked high. Getting cold so it is time to get the kettle out and warm up some left over rat stew. rhertz do you have a recipe for stewed rats ?
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:18 AM   #33
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold
Recipes

Stuffed Dormice / Ancient Rome
Prepare a stuffing of dormouse meat or pork, pepper, pine nuts, broth, asafoetida, and some garum (substitute anchovy paste.) Stuff the mice and sew them up. Bake them in an oven on a tile.
Mice in Cream (Souris à la crème)
Skin, gut and wash some fat mice without removing their heads. Cover them in a pot with ethyl alcohol and marinate 2 hours. Cut a piece of salt pork or sowbelly into small dice and cook it slowly to extract the fat. Drain the mice, dredge them thoroughly in a mixture of flour, pepper, and salt, and fry slowly in the rendered fat for about 5 minutes. Add a cup of alcohol and 6 to 8 cloves, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Prepare a cream sauce, transfer the sautéed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	061216-chengdu-64-rat-thumb.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	1729  

purpahurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:37 PM   #34
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
And how often do you dine on rodents, purpahurl?

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:10 PM   #35
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold
This weekend after I take little purpa squirrel huntin.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:37 PM   #36
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Hey purpa do you like them on the half shell

Name:	redneck_squirrel_treat2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1733
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:17 PM   #37
purpahurl
Advanced Member

That's a good one. I prefer mine fried up crispy with some grits on the side.

Rhertz: last year I deboned some chopped them in a quisinart with green onion, shaved carrotts and made Steamed Dumpring (pot stickers). Imperial Cathay would have been impressed. Of course I did not add card board to mine like some China Town vendors I read about.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:52 PM   #38
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpahurl View Post
That's a good one. I prefer mine fried up crispy with some grits on the side.

Rhertz: last year I deboned some chopped them in a quisinart with green onion, shaved carrotts and made Steamed Dumpring (pot stickers). Imperial Cathay would have been impressed. Of course I did not add card board to mine like some China Town vendors I read about.
LOL, I love pot stickers. I'm not crazy about pork dumplings, but the chicken pot stickers at Target (I forget the brandname) are darn good. They are in a bag in the frozen section. I had them for supper last night. The key is the sauce. I use Ming Tsai's Dim Sum dipping sauce. In a jar in the Asian section.

Nothing wrong with eating squirrel IMHO. I never done it but my grandpa sho did.. Now that I think about it, hampsters look pretty good, about the size of quail or dove. I love to eat small birds.... Why not animals? The quail at Chianti's is my all time favorite recurring dish over the decades. Mrs Hertz loves to watch me pick through the little bird bones..... Ummm Umm Good!
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:19 PM   #39
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Nothing wrong with eating squirrel IMHO. I never done it but my grandpa sho did.. Now that I think about it, hampsters look pretty good, about the size of quail or dove. I love to eat small birds.... Why not animals?
HTML Code:
The quail at Chianti's is my all time favorite recurring dish over the decades.  Mrs Hertz
loves to watch me pick through the little bird bones..... Ummm Umm Good![/quote]

Boy Hertz you're really pulling me out there, if I'm not mistaken this quail either has a blackberry suace or maybe a cherry suace. I may be thinking of another restaraunt though. I remember eating quail there. The best i've had is home cooked.

By the way Bau Chau (if that's haow it's spelled) on Youree sells an excellent Dumpring sauce.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:50 PM   #40
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
I think the quail is served in a marsala sauce. They have a veal dish that has a blackberry sauce. I'm not crazy about fruity sauces or veal.

I guess watching birds is one thing and eating birds in an entirely different matter. I love both.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:10 PM   #41
purpahurl
Advanced Member

I think you're right. Something there has a blackberry sauce that Mrs. Hurl likes,Blahh. The Cherry quail I had was at Big Cedar Lodge in MO. It was GROSS. Everything else there was awesome. I think that is when I quit eating gamebirds at restaraunts. I'll stick with the rats.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:23 AM   #42
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

It all taste like chicken I like my cooking over any restaurant. I like to see it prepared and cooked unlike Micky D's spit burgers.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:35 AM   #43
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Weird Al has a song that goes with this thread !
http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/Humor...the_kettle.htm

Name:  Cat.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  11.6 KB
Old 10-31-2007, 11:01 AM   #44
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon View Post
Weird Al has a song that goes with this thread !
http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/Humor...the_kettle.htm
I've heard that before. I never knew it was Weird Al though. Hmm...learn something new everyday.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:35 PM   #45
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Cats in the kettle at the Peking Moon

Name:	Fortune.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	1737