Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Entertainment

Notices

Old 10-13-2007, 06:08 PM   #1
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
Parents angered by exorbitant tickets

http://www.authoritytickets.com/?p=27
http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs...STAFF/71005033

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/1...ets/index.html

Quote:
Greensboro, NC mom is suing TicketsNow.com because she says the Hannah tickets are way overpriced. Right now, Hannah Montana concert tickets is one the most coveted items around today, especially for parents with Hannah fans for children. The Hannah Greensboro concert sold out in minutes. Since the tickets are selling out everywhere across the country, kids are left crying, and moms are left fuming
Quote:
But some may have gone too far, charging hundreds, even thousands, of dollars for Disney's Hannah Montana concert — taking advantage, one mother says, of little girls' dreams.
Missouri has sued several online brokers, and Arkansas has launched an investigation.
Quote:
There's tickets up to $3,000," said Stacey Montgomery, 36, of Rural Hall . She went online and her husband manned the phone when tickets went on sale for Greensboro's concert. By the time they got through, about 15 minutes after the sale started, there weren't three seats together that they could buy for daughter Sydney's 10th birthday present.
"As much as we'd like for her to go," Montgomery said, "I'm not paying that much money."
Frustrated, Montgomery complained to the attorney general's office.
Hannah Montana - BoxxetPittsburgh software firm sued over Hannah Montana scalping ..... StubHub.com, Tickets-For-Events.com, TicketsNow.com and Gotickets.com — turn over documents ...
www.boxxet.com/Hannah_Montana
Quote:
Only five states -- Michigan, North Carolina, Kentucky, Massachusetts and Rhode Island -- limit brokering, according to the National Association of Ticket Brokers. Regulations vary. For example, in Rhode Island, the cap on the amount of the increase is $3, or 10 percent above face value, whichever is greater.

Ticketmaster says online some brokers cheat to beat the system and the fans. Ticketmaster has filed suit in U.S. Federal District Court in Los Angeles against a Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, software company that it claims developed software for ticket brokers that illegally "allows them to cut in line", said Ticketmaster vice president Joe Freeman.

The software company, RMG Technologies, denies that allegation. It says the company should not be held accountable because Ticketmaster is getting paid for the tickets it sells.
Well someone is going to have troubles. I wonder if these scalpers try that again.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:24 PM   #2
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
How is it possible for something to cost "too much?" If someone is willing to buy it isn't it, by definition, at most the correct price?
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:32 PM   #3
Morpheus
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole View Post
How is it possible for something to cost "too much?" If someone is willing to buy it isn't it, by definition, at most the correct price?
Only to the person able to afford it. The rest will cry foul.
Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:43 PM   #4
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
They kill people on the concert tickets. I am sure there back door sales and the fake tickets are like passing fake money. I hope they can arrest them. Now scalping them is a matter of opinion. I have purchased scalped tickets before.
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:05 PM   #5
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
>Only to the person able to afford it. The rest will cry foul.

That's true of anything at any price. If the tickets were $10 there would be people that couldn't afford them. If people are willing to pay how ever many thousand dollars, how can anyone claim that is "too much."

If you had something for sale and you could sell it for $50 or for $2,000, who would ever take the $50?
Old 10-13-2007, 09:17 PM   #6
Morpheus
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of
Quote:
>Only to the person able to afford it. The rest will cry foul.

That's true of anything at any price. If the tickets were $10 there would be people that couldn't afford them. If people are willing to pay how ever many thousand dollars, how can anyone claim that is "too much."

If you had something for sale and you could sell it for $50 or for $2,000, who would ever take the $50?
I agree with you 100%. Especially when it's a "luxury item" like concert tickets. But for the sake of argument, let's say it's your phone bill. Should we let companies like AT&T charge what the market will bear? Now, let's say it's your blood pressure medication. How much is too much?
Old 10-13-2007, 09:59 PM   #7
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
Well I don't know about anyone else but if I were to buy a ticket for anything I would want to know I am not paying it to someone who is out to shaft people illegaly. If you have to cheat people to make a living then you are scum to me, so send them to jail.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:33 PM   #8
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

>Should we let companies like AT&T charge what the market will bear?

Of course.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:18 AM   #9
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
>Should we let companies like AT&T charge what the market will bear?

Of course.
Wrong! Not when AT&T employs more Washington DC lobbiests than the largest independent law firm in the nation. The telecom market is *very* manipulated. Just a bad example is all. If you said, "companies like Walmart", I would have had no problem. But ILECS and Long haul providers are a bad example of free enterprise and capitalism in my ever so humble and experienced opinion.... They are the spoiled brats of the corrupt federal government.... Even more than Oil and Gas that gets so much press. Haliburton....bad.. AT&T and Bellsouth....good... Notice how CNN and Fox leaves the telco's alone... Even Cingular when they broke down post merger then post Katrina in 05..... Teflon are the telcos......There is no locally owned ISP left in Shreveport....
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 01:52 AM   #10
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

I wasn't aware that a "should we" question could have a wrong answer.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:52 PM   #11
Morpheus
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz View Post
Wrong! Not when AT&T employs more Washington DC lobbiests than the largest independent law firm in the nation. The telecom market is *very* manipulated. Just a bad example is all. If you said, "companies like Walmart", I would have had no problem. But ILECS and Long haul providers are a bad example of free enterprise and capitalism in my ever so humble and experienced opinion.... They are the spoiled brats of the corrupt federal government.... Even more than Oil and Gas that gets so much press. Haliburton....bad.. AT&T and Bellsouth....good... Notice how CNN and Fox leaves the telco's alone... Even Cingular when they broke down post merger then post Katrina in 05..... Teflon are the telcos......There is no locally owned ISP left in Shreveport....
Shrevenet's gone?
Old 10-14-2007, 07:39 PM   #12
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Yep, bought by Nationwide Internet.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:14 AM   #13
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz View Post

Rhertz, may I inquire what you mean by long haulers and are you saying they are spoiled brats. I hope you mean the company and not the drivers.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:24 AM   #14
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by piemaker720 View Post
Rhertz, may I inquire what you mean by long haulers.
Long distance providers. IXC's to be exact.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:27 AM   #15
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
I wasn't aware that a "should we" question could have a wrong answer.
Yeah sorry for the rant. Two things I don't care much for are phone companies and spammers. But I'm pro Walmart and Haliburton. Go figure.