Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > World News

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2007, 10:45 PM   #1
scarlett
Advanced Member
 
scarlett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 474
Rep Power: 176 scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to scarlett Send a message via AIM to scarlett Send a message via Yahoo to scarlett
Post 10-year-olds attack, beat homeless man, police say

Pretty pathetic if you ask me..... the video is on cnn shows the kids in cuffs also shows what they did to the homeless guy

(CNN) -- Egged on by a 17-year-old, two 10-year-old boys joined in the attack of a homeless man, leaving him bruised and bloody Tuesday, Daytona Beach Police said.
The incident highlights an upswing in violent crime across the U.S. against the homeless.
In 2006, there were 142 attacks and 20 murders, several involving teenagers seeking a vicious thrill, according to the Washington, D.C.-based National Coalition for the Homeless.
The incident, which took place in Daytona Beach, Florida, may make history, said the nonprofit's acting executive director Michael Stoops.
"If we're talking about 10-year-olds, that means we've hit an all-time low," said Stoops. "The youngest person to have ever been arrested for a crime like this is 13."
Daytona Police Sgt. Billy Walden said the teen and two boys were walking in their neighborhood around 9 p.m. when they saw 58-year-old John D'Amico. They began throwing rocks at the homeless man.
The 17-year-old, Jeremy Woods, punched D'Amico who then fell over a concrete wall. As he lay on the ground, one of the 10-year-olds -- whose names are not being released -- used parts of the concrete to bash D'Amico in the head, a police report shows.

D'Amico's eye was severely damaged in the attack. Woods and the two boys were charged with felony aggravated battery and are being held without bond at a juvenile detention center in Daytona Beach, Walden said.
The Volusia County State Attorneys Office received paperwork on the case late Thursday and will make a decision about whether to pursue adult charges, said spokeswoman Linda Pruitt.
The three boys made their first court appearance Wednesday wearing ankle shackles and handcuffs, and white jail jumpsuits too big for the two tiny 10-year-old frames. Judge Peter Marshall assigned them public defenders.
Attacks in Florida

Violence against the homeless occurred in cities and suburbs throughout the U.S. last year but Florida led the pack with at least six such crimes in 2006.

One of those cases has garnered international attention and is expected to go to trial this fall after a surveillance camera captured two teens beating a homeless man with bats in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, on January 12, 2006.
Prosecutors say 17-year-old skateboarder Tom Daugherty, 18-year-old Brian Hooks, a popular hockey team captain, and a third unseen teen, Billy Ammons, a high school dropout, assaulted two more homeless men that night.
One of them was 45-year-old Norris Gaynor. A witness, Anthony Clarke, told police and CNN last year that he saw the three teens approach Gaynor as he slept on a park bench. Daugherty began whacking Gaynor with a bat, Clarke said.
The Daytona Beach area was the scene of another high-profile attack in which four teenagers confessed to beating 53-year-old Michael Roberts to death in the suburb of Holly Hill in May 2005.
The teens -- one as young as 14 -- pummeled Roberts with sticks and logs, fracturing the homeless man's skull and breaking his ribs.
All four pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and conspiracy to commit murder and are serving separate sentences ranging from 35 years in prison to 22 years and were sentenced to probation for life.
Florida lawmakers met Tuesday with advocates to work on a bill that would provide more protection for the homeless and provide local communities with assistance funding for homeless prevention.
__________________
I would rather be hated for what I am than loved for what I'm not.!
scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 06:57 AM   #2
BrainSmashR
Banned
 
BrainSmashR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Natchitoches
Age: 48
Posts: 1,090
Rep Power: 0 BrainSmashR will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Yep, 10-year old kids fight in school and get suspended for 3 days.

Beat up a drunk bum with no ambition in life and the same kids get arrested, charged with felony aggravated battery, held in prison without bond and might even be tired as adults.

Pathetic is the correct term alright, but I suspect we mean it in completely opposite ways.
BrainSmashR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:19 AM   #3
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran
 
Isaac-Saxxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,421
Rep Power: 259 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
In Bossier City it is much different that you say

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainSmashR
Yep, 10-year old kids fight in school and get suspended for 3 days.

Beat up a drunk bum with no ambition in life and the same kids get arrested, charged with felony aggravated battery, held in prison without bond and might even be tired as adults.

Pathetic is the correct term alright, but I suspect we mean it in completely opposite ways.
You get in a fight and you go down town and the police will deal with it. I have seen it in Bossier Schools and I am sure the rest of Shreveport is the same. It is call battery and they do get charged. They should put these boys in jail for their violent crime and it was much more than a push and shove match in grade school. Pathetic is when someone looks at this as just a kids joke and not a crime.
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:55 PM   #4
scarlett
Advanced Member
 
scarlett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 474
Rep Power: 176 scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to scarlett Send a message via AIM to scarlett Send a message via Yahoo to scarlett
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainSmashR

Pathetic is the correct term alright, but I suspect we mean it in completely opposite ways.
I figured the term pathetic could only be taken one way. Don't worry Brain i'm not trying to go against you seems like we agree on something.
__________________
I would rather be hated for what I am than loved for what I'm not.!
scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 02:03 PM   #5
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran
 
Isaac-Saxxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,421
Rep Power: 259 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Did I miss something here ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlett
I figured the term pathetic could only be taken one way. Don't worry Brain i'm not trying to go against you seems like we agree on something.
Hello Scarlett ? You are for or against them arresting these punks ?
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 02:42 PM   #6
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran
 
AnimeSpirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Nowhere
Age: 36
Posts: 1,659
Rep Power: 203 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
The extent of the punishment should be proportionate to the extent of the crime. Schoolyard romps are not often so severe and not usually just for kicks. When they are, they are dealt with in a harsh manner.

If these kids inflicted such inhumane suffering on a man just for kicks, they should receive the maximum punishment possible. They must be shown the costly price for seeking this variety of self entertainment.
AnimeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:35 AM   #7
BrainSmashR
Banned
 
BrainSmashR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Natchitoches
Age: 48
Posts: 1,090
Rep Power: 0 BrainSmashR will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
You get in a fight and you go down town and the police will deal with it. I have seen it in Bossier Schools and I am sure the rest of Shreveport is the same. It is call battery and they do get charged. They should put these boys in jail for their violent crime and it was much more than a push and shove match in grade school. Pathetic is when someone looks at this as just a kids joke and not a crime.
Isaac
Never in my life have I heard of a child being taken to prison for fighting in school. You'll have to provide some supporting evidence.

BTW, last time I checked, battery was a simple misdemeanor and pathetic is treating 10 year old children like adults. No one said it was a joke or NOT a crime, but they ARE children who are about to face a felony charge that, if convicted, will follow them for the rest of their lives.
BrainSmashR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:49 AM   #8
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran
 
Isaac-Saxxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,421
Rep Power: 259 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Morning Brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainSmashR
Never in my life have I heard of a child being taken to prison for fighting in school. You'll have to provide some supporting evidence.

BTW, last time I checked, battery was a simple misdemeanor and pathetic is treating 10 year old children like adults. No one said it was a joke or NOT a crime, but they ARE children who are about to face a felony charge that, if convicted, will follow them for the rest of their lives.
Good to see you up so early. I do not know the extent of the charges but they do arrest them and take them down town in high school that I know because it has happened in the school my daughter goes to. They have a cop on campus all the time and he has all he needs to arrest someone. I would not think a fist fight would be a felony but using any kind of weapon would be. Oh and don't worry the rain will be out of here in a while and you can go outside and enjoy the nice day.
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 01:17 PM   #9
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran
 
AnimeSpirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Nowhere
Age: 36
Posts: 1,659
Rep Power: 203 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
You know, this reminds me of a story I saw on the news where a school yard cop was taking a lot of heat over something like this. A kid in class had shattered a glass jar and was threatening other kids in class with the sharp glass. The cop came to deal with the kid, but the kid went crazy. Finally, the cop got the glass away and slapped cuffs on the kid. The parents are saying that this was a humiliating experience and the cop was out of line by putting cuffs on the child.

I think they should've just kept their mouths shut, personally. Handcuffs are a tool that cops use to keep subjects from hurting themselves or others. Under the circumstances, the cop acted quite appropriately. But the kid's parents were out for his job.
AnimeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 03:34 PM   #10
BrainSmashR
Banned
 
BrainSmashR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Natchitoches
Age: 48
Posts: 1,090
Rep Power: 0 BrainSmashR will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
Good to see you up so early. I do not know the extent of the charges but they do arrest them and take them down town in high school that I know because it has happened in the school my daughter goes to. They have a cop on campus all the time and he has all he needs to arrest someone. I would not think a fist fight would be a felony but using any kind of weapon would be. Oh and don't worry the rain will be out of here in a while and you can go outside and enjoy the nice day.
Isaac

The only scenario I can even conceive of that happening in is an 18 year or older student. They can be "cuffed and stuffed" without any sort of repercussions. The children in question here are 10 and 17 and the story made no mention of the use of weapons. Now I'll concede that the 17 year old should be begging for the courts mercy, but no way should 10 year old kids be facing felony charges when their crime didn't result in a rape or murder.
BrainSmashR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 03:42 PM   #11
BrainSmashR
Banned
 
BrainSmashR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Natchitoches
Age: 48
Posts: 1,090
Rep Power: 0 BrainSmashR will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit
You know, this reminds me of a story I saw on the news where a school yard cop was taking a lot of heat over something like this. A kid in class had shattered a glass jar and was threatening other kids in class with the sharp glass. The cop came to deal with the kid, but the kid went crazy. Finally, the cop got the glass away and slapped cuffs on the kid. The parents are saying that this was a humiliating experience and the cop was out of line by putting cuffs on the child.

I think they should've just kept their mouths shut, personally. Handcuffs are a tool that cops use to keep subjects from hurting themselves or others. Under the circumstances, the cop acted quite appropriately. But the kid's parents were out for his job.

I totally agree, but these circumstances are a little different. Scaring the bejeebes out of a kid by putting him in cuffs is a lot different than sending them to court on felony charges.
BrainSmashR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 04:29 PM   #12
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran
 
Isaac-Saxxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,421
Rep Power: 259 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
All I am saying is this

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainSmashR
The only scenario I can even conceive of that happening in is an 18 year or older student. They can be "cuffed and stuffed" without any sort of repercussions. The children in question here are 10 and 17 and the story made no mention of the use of weapons. Now I'll concede that the 17 year old should be begging for the courts mercy, but no way should 10 year old kids be facing felony charges when their crime didn't result in a rape or murder.
From Jr. High School on up they will cuff them and take them down town for a fight and what happens after that I do not know but they do not let fights go like they did when I was in middle to high school they book you. Far as the crime here it was a hate crime and the boys are young and should not have a record if they do some probation but it was still very wrong and full of hate and the courts look at that motive too.
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 05:18 PM   #13
scarlett
Advanced Member
 
scarlett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 474
Rep Power: 176 scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to scarlett Send a message via AIM to scarlett Send a message via Yahoo to scarlett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
Hello Scarlett ? You are for or against them arresting these punks ?
Isaac
Any child of any age that can hurt or beat or kill someone has major issues lying ahead of them. If my child did something as this I would definitely be the blame of the issues the child has period. It all starts with how the child is raised and the life style they live.

If a 10 yr old did this to your child, what punishment would you want? I would want to hurt that child myself but since that couldn't happen or I would go to jail, so whatever they choose I say go for it. Someone always has to be an example and it maybe these 2 children.
__________________
I would rather be hated for what I am than loved for what I'm not.!
scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 06:42 PM   #14
BrainSmashR
Banned
 
BrainSmashR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Natchitoches
Age: 48
Posts: 1,090
Rep Power: 0 BrainSmashR will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
From Jr. High School on up they will cuff them and take them down town for a fight and what happens after that I do not know but they do not let fights go like they did when I was in middle to high school they book you. Far as the crime here it was a hate crime and the boys are young and should not have a record if they do some probation but it was still very wrong and full of hate and the courts look at that motive too.
Isaac
1. Probation for a felony charge is kinda rare.
2. Only a full pardon from the governor will remove that conviction from their record, and even then, government entities will still have access to the information.
3. This was not a hate crime, but rather a random act of violence. My guess is the 10 year olds were following the example of the 17 year old.....because that's what kids do.
BrainSmashR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 03:51 AM   #15
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran
 
Isaac-Saxxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,421
Rep Power: 259 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
You sound well informed Brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainSmashR
1. Probation for a felony charge is kinda rare.
2. Only a full pardon from the governor will remove that conviction from their record, and even then, government entities will still have access to the information.
3. This was not a hate crime, but rather a random act of violence. My guess is the 10 year olds were following the example of the 17 year old.....because that's what kids do.
It is not rare for a first time felony to be put on probation key word first time and like I said I do not know what the charges might be but I do know that down town they go and a visit with the po po and depending on ones rap sheet then off to the next step. I am sure the ten year old had much help in the crime and I do not think if he is charged as a juvenile that it will be on his record long term unlike adult charges. Either way it was a stupid crime and they should have to do some community service and probation. My opinion and I am not the law man or the judge.
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 AM.


Design By: Miner Skinz.com
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.7.2
Copyright 2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
2008 Shreveport.com